Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Putting on the vanorak

Re: Putting on the Roof Cover

MickyBlue said:
Quick question.

Has anyone ever waterproofed the canvas bellows with Fabsil or Nikwax type proofing??

Guess what I was looking at today?! I wondered exactly the same (I use Nikwax stuff a lot on our clothing)! My only worry is that the breathability of the canvas might be affected? Only a guess though.

VW do not recommend 'proofing'.
I can't quite remember where I read this but it was quoted as a VW statement.
I think it was a response to a direct question to VW Central UK.
It might be worth following up though.

barry said:
VW do not recommend 'proofing'.
I can't quite remember where I read this but it was quoted as a VW statement.
I think it was a response to a direct question to VW Central UK.
It might be worth following up though.

I'd heard that or read it somewhere, but never got to the bottom of why :?

Also being of an industrious mind why don't VW make an upgrade bellows out of Gore-tex or Event or similar :?:

So the bellows are just sealed heavy duty cotton? As Micky says, there are far more advanced materials out there, pretty much all of which I have clothes made out of!

The dampness on ours is very slight - definitely not a leak, more like very light condensation, slightly more around the windows (which are zipped shut!).

KernowLad said:
So the bellows are just sealed heavy duty cotton? As Micky says, there are far more advanced materials out there, pretty much all of which I have clothes made out of!

Begs the question 'If VW UK tied up with Berghaus for a special edition, why not talk to them about the bellows or a roof cover?'

Let's face it it would be a marketing dream for Berghaus given what their name means IMHO.

Indeed but if it is just condensation (which I'm pretty sure it is) I guess few materials would breathe enough in heavy rain but still be super durable?

Very waterproof tents still get condensation (ours is very heavy duty but still gets slightly damp on the inside in persistent rain), I guess clothing material is maybe just a bit too lightweight?

I have clothes made from eVent, Gore-tex (normal and the more hardcore XCR version), Nikwax Analagy, etc etc and they would all be a bit thin for a roof system.

I'm only guessing though!

Looking at it another way. If they used a 100% waterproof PU material, and then sorted effective ventilation/air movement to alleviate condensation that would be durable.

P.S. Sorry OP for minor thread hi-jack, please feel free to split this discussion out if you think it's better.

MickyBlue said:
Looking at it another way. If they used a 100% waterproof PU material, and then sorted effective ventilation/air movement to alleviate condensation that would be durable.

P.S. Sorry OP for minor thread hi-jack, please feel free to split this discussion out if you think it's better.

True - does seem a little old hat using cotton canvas. Good to talk about it though - it's the sort of stuff I like trying to "solve" (maybe having a Mat Eng degree is part of the reason?!!) if possible.

And sorry too for the mini hi-jack!

Putting on the Roof Cover

KernowLad, Good input, if you solve it perhaps have some made in the better material and put them on the ' for sale ' section here. We can then consider changing our bellows.

Cotton has a very long life span, strong and resilient. Look at all the old Force 10 tents out there.

Went out armed with towels, etc and the roof was completely bone dry. Nearly three days of non stop rains gone in no time.

Rather reassuring! Roof back down, worry over. Still might consider a Pucer but will see.

As Seb says, cotton in this form is very hard wearing. Maybe some kind of silicon spray would work? There's a cotton called "Epic cotton" marketed by Howies that has a silicon treatment of the fibres which makes their clothes pretty water resistant.

Hmm - something to investigate!

So what do we think the cotton bellows is treated with (if anything) that VW use as standard?

MickyBlue said:
So what do we think the cotton bellows is treated with (if anything) that VW use as standard?

I'd be keen to know too but I reckon probably no treatment having had a good look and feel (!) of the material.

sebking said:
Cotton has a very long life span, strong and resilient. Look at all the old Force 10 tents out there.

That's true, but even when I used them years ago in Scouts we used to treat/re-treat the flysheets at least every other season

i sold it as it buckled my roof when it got caught raising the roof with the vanorak on

Ah ok. My roof has a slight kink and it came with the Vanorak. I wonder if the two were connected? I've never tried it myself.

I've been considering a Rainbow Screen pop top cover but because I mostly go camping with just my young son, I've been advised it would be too tricky to fit alone.

Do you know of any other options out of interest I could consider?

i replaced it with a cali topper that i help design it doesn't slide in the awning channel so when the roof goes up there is no chance of it snagging and buckling the roof. i believe the vanorak has been discontinued

Oh ok, thanks for the info Kev :thumb

Is your Calitopper a one-off or do they sell them in the club shop maybe?

Ah ok. My roof has a slight kink and it came with the Vanorak. I wonder if the two were connected? I've never tried it myself.

I've been considering a Rainbow Screen pop top cover but because I mostly go camping with just my young son, I've been advised it would be too tricky to fit alone.

Do you know of any other options out of interest I could consider?
I often fit mine on my own, takes around 5 minutes and using a small step makes it easier.

I often fit mine on my own, takes around 5 minutes and using a small step makes it easier.
thanks for that it's good to find out the experiences from others, just so I can make an educated purchase. As you know, these things are £££ :Nailbiting

thanks for that it's good to find out the experiences from others, just so I can make an educated purchase. As you know, these things are £££ :Nailbiting
Mine is a Cali Wrap which is available from the club shop, similar to rainbow screens but you don't have to provide measurements if it is for a Cali.

Back