Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quechua Air Seconds Base XL Shelter is made for VW

Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I ordered a Quechua Air Seconds Base XL Shelter about a week and a half ago. It arrived and I picked it up from the Decathlon store in Tenerife today. I hope to practice setting it up in the Decathlon underground parking lot tomorrow morning (we live in an urban area and no where to set it up at home). I took it out of the bag and the directions that are attached to the bag liner seem to indicate that the tent was made for VW ... or at least this modified T1! :)

P9200001.jpg P9200003.jpg P9200006.jpg

Setting it up in the Decathlon garage shouldn't be considered a proper field test, but it gave me an idea what to expect. It was so easy to put up and take down & pack away. I am sold on the air concept of tenting.P9210038.jpg P9210040.jpgP9210042.jpg P9210046.jpg P9210047.jpgP9210049.jpg P9210050.jpgP9210052.jpg P9210056.jpg

Great, thanks for sharing the photos, send us another next week when you have it back in its bag :)

How big is the Decathlon store? The car park is massive. Wish we had one in the South West.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Off topic I know but Beach in Yellow does look splendid. Awaiting my sober grey Ocean but have themed accessories in yellow.

Mike

Great post CB, thank you so much, the photos helped me make my mind up, ordered one for collection next week :thumb

For trips away with the kids for more than two nights the extra space is essential, and this seems to be the answer!

Having had pop-up drive-away awnings in the past I really didn't want one again as a) they are always huge in the bag, take an age to put up and take down, and b) I don’t like the faff of lining it up and attaching it to the van every time. But this one can be used as a stand-alone, or can be attached if I’m in the mood, and I love the fact that it takes literally 2 minutes to put up. And... when packed in the bag its not too big either, win win!

And I agree with T6 CFO, that yellow is such a great colour, such a shame its not an option on the Ocean!

Off topic, I am seeing the "Yellow Grape" color appearing on the Transporter vehicles, so it no longer seems exclusive to the Beach ... but maybe this is just the Canary Islands or Spain.

Yes, we have used this tent on other outings and it has worked great.

003.jpg

P9300025.jpg

P9300026.jpg

P9300029.jpg

P9300035.jpg

You have two "tents" with you? I have a hard time just packing the absolute necessary stuff :) I guess this model is no more available?

We connect it with the Reimo Tailgate tent called the Upgrade. We had to MacGyver it to slide under the bike rack and stay water & insect tight. There is a thread on the site as to how did it.Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 6.47.59 PM.png

I ordered a Quechua Air Seconds Base XL Shelter about a week and a half ago. It arrived and I picked it up from the Decathlon store in Tenerife today. I hope to practice setting it up in the Decathlon underground parking lot tomorrow morning (we live in an urban area and no where to set it up at home). I took it out of the bag and the directions that are attached to the bag liner seem to indicate that the tent was made for VW ... or at least this modified T1! :)

View attachment 16451 View attachment 16452 View attachment 16453
Ooh - now that looks tempting. Much smaller and lighter than the Kyman shelter I am currently using (although I already had that and free is good).

How well does it 'fit' to the side of the Cali? Is it just a case of guying the door over the top? That's not going to work with the roof up. Have you worked out a way of securing it to the track on the edge of the awning?

Ooh - now that looks tempting. Much smaller and lighter than the Kyman shelter I am currently using (although I already had that and free is good).

How well does it 'fit' to the side of the Cali? Is it just a case of guying the door over the top? That's not going to work with the roof up. Have you worked out a way of securing it to the track on the edge of the awning?

I've had a few Kyham pop-up awnings in the past, they’re great but, heavy and cumbersome. And, I’ve caught my finger in the struts once or twice, major ouch!!! Free is good, but its only a bargain if it works for you. On the flip side, they always command good prices on fleabay, so you could always move it on.

Like you I’m curious as to how it can be attached, although I’m not overly worried, in my experience anything rubbing against paint work is a bad idea. That's why I like the Decathlon one, as it can be free-standing. See the pic below that I found in a google search, that's what swung it for me.

In the meantime, there are some very good YouTube videos, it looks very easy to put up!

f471e4a1e421d6981adbf066c5453007.jpg

I've had a few Kyham pop-up awnings in the past, they’re great but, heavy and cumbersome. And, I’ve caught my finger in the struts once or twice, major ouch!!! Free is good, but its only a bargain if it works for you. On the flip side, they always command good prices on fleabay, so you could always move it on.

Like you I’m curious as to how it can be attached, although I’m not overly worried, in my experience anything rubbing against paint work is a bad idea. That's why I like the Decathlon one, as it can be free-standing. See the pic below that I found in a google search, that's what swung it for me.

In the meantime, there are some very good YouTube videos, it looks very easy to put up!

View attachment 19204
Now thats an impressive set-up. Wonder how they carry the decking :D.

Nice campsite Smiify4Bikes! I have yet to work out the perfect setup for a long(er) term campsite. I anticipate keeping it tight along the side (the big opening connected over the awning) with midges in Scotland this summer.

Off topic I know but Beach in Yellow does look splendid. Awaiting my sober grey Ocean but have themed accessories in yellow.

Mike
Agree about yellow. Think that photos should be censored as I get :( depressed that I couldn't have it on an Ocean.

Excellent report on Awning, :thanks

Just bought one of those too. Haven't unpacked it yet - bit worried about space in the van (or ever getting it back in the bag) but hoping it can give us a covered eating area (family of 6). We didn't want a driveaway awning because looking at most of them it would feel like moving back to the days of large tents/ drying/ packing effort and the size when packed. Hence approaching things from the 'camping shelter' end. Bumped into the MSH Living Room on line but think it is now discontinued. Anyone got one? Not obvious why they discontinued it as the Air Seconds XL if fine but it isn't exactly a looker. Should I be looking for the old one second hand perhaps.

Last edited:
There is the much cheaper popup version as well which I guess takes up much less space in the van?
big_e0ef2910c19f42d89cd9b2d392657143.jpg

Thanks Kave. Not sure about the space difference - more a question of shape - large circle vs solid. Certainly easier to erect...

It's 12,5KG for the Air and 6.4KG for the popupversion. They are both 5m2 floor space.
The popup has no groundsheet.

Just bought one of those too. Haven't unpacked it yet - bit worried about space in the van (or ever getting it back in the bag) but hoping it can give us a covered eating area (family of 6). We didn't want a driveaway awning because looking at most of them it would feel like moving back to the days of large tents/ drying/ packing effort and the size when packed. Hence approaching things from the 'camping shelter' end. Bumped into the MSH Living Room on line but think it is now discontinued. Anyone got one? Not obvious why they discontinued it as the Air Seconds XL if fine but it isn't exactly a looker. Should I be looking for the old one second hand perhaps.

In terms of bag size, I've bought a few Quechua things over the years and they do seem quite generous with their bag sizes. Might be an idea to video the unpacking at least you will have an idea of how it supposed to fit together in the bag. :thumb

..me..

It's 12,5KG for the Air and 6.4KG for the popupversion. They are both 5m2 floor space.
The popup has no groundsheet.

The pop up packs down to around 3' diameter I'd guess, what's that 900 -950 mm ?

Probably excellent having it stand behind the sofa since it is quite thin package?