Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wanted Quechua Base

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
Looking for a Quechua Base or possibly Base XL in vgc if anyone has one to sell before I look at getting a new one.

Would part exchange Quechua towards our Khyam motor dome sleeper

Last edited:
IMG_3605.JPG Got one, perfect for our needs :)

IMG_3605.JPG

Last edited:
Did you buy new in the end, cleve? I am now looking to get a Quechua Base too but Decathlon are out of stock...

No managed to get one on the t4 forum as wasn't so keen on the green. That explains why the ones I was watching on eBay sold for now than the decathlon price! Good luck finding one, they're great!

Thanks, cleve; guess I will keep looking then; I have signed up to the 'notify when in stock' emails from Decathlon so hopefully they will get them back again at some point, but I will keep checking eBay in the meantime :thumb

These Quechua Base pop-ups are such a handy bit of kit. So much so, we were thinking of getting another one. Had a look on the Decathlon site and they seem to have some in-stock now.

It is the green one they have, but that matches what we already have.

Mine arrived from Decathlon this week and after a bit of hilarity in the garden for an hour or so, I have now got the hang of putting it up and down on my own :thumb

Hey that's great to hear. They really are a useful addition, once you've got the hang of it. As demo'd below ;)

Foxy_Runswick.jpg

Thanks for the photo, LowMan! Now my Quechua has arrived, I have reluctantly decided to sell my Khyam Tourer, despite only using it for one 6 night break. I can see that there are certainly advantages to having a proper drive-away with a connection tunnel, making a fully sheltered extension 'room' for the Cali, but I realised upon using the Khyam that, as a solo traveller, I really don't need so much space and it won't get used. When I need the extra space for storage on longer trips, I will use the Quechua; for shorter trips I don't think I will need any extra space. The Quechua is small enough when folded than I can afford to take it 'just in case' the need arises.

Now where was it on the forum that I read about the Cali phenomenon of buying kit, selling kit, buying different kit, changing your mind and so on and on..... :D:bananadance

I'm intrigued by this. What is the advantage over a standard awning?

I think it very much depends what you want and need the awning for; they have different uses really. The tent will never really be an awning and doesn't provide the level of privacy, space or shelter that you get from a proper awning with connection tunnel. The tent, as I see it, is a very quick way of erecting a basic storage space for trips away, which, on reflection, is all that I need at the moment. If you spend time sitting, eating etc. in the awning, or if you have children and want them to have a sheltered space to play beside the Cali, then an awning makes much more sense I think.

I'm intrigued by this. What is the advantage over a standard awning?
We had a khyam motordome sleeper but found that having it attached was kind of an advantage when freezing cold and pouring with rain but it completely blocked our view from the cali. This meant we couldn't keep an eye on the children without sitting in the awning or outside. The way we have set it up in the photo above means we can have extra space, somewhere sheltered to eat bolognaise without worrying about the interior getting covered by our youngest's flying fork. The sun canopy stops us getting wet between cali and quechua but we can still sit in the warm and dry and see where the children are!

Thanks Maud & Cleve, we would only use it if we were camping with friends and needed somewhere to sit on a cool evening if we couldn't fit in the Cali. We had this problem last November, camping with friends who only had small tents. There were 8 of us, we had 6 (!) inside the van but the other 2 had to sit under the awning outside and having the door open the chill made us all rather uncomfortable; needless to say we ended up having an early night!

Back