Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

QUECHUA MSH Living Room Inflatable Camping Shelter

B

Blue Knight

Just bought this as an alternate to a drive-away awning.

This is on offer at the moment at Decathlon for £159.99.

Good reviews and a great size.

Just about to post this link when I spotted you'd done it!
It is a total bargain. I bought the 3 man tent which joins onto the shelter too (also on big reduction).

Very tempting ... :confused: but the bag is 31 x 31 x 80cms which is a lot of space in a small van ...

^ I think that bag size is pretty competitive vs the Kyham Motordome and Vango alternatives (isn't it?)

Probably, but at the moment we don't use anything so it would be an additional item to find room for.

Was considering getting the Comfortz awning sides also, but don't know whether we'd use it enough.

The main use we would have is when we go with a group of friends, it would be somewhere to sit instead of trying to squash in one of the vans.

In passing, I wonder if there is an entry in the Guinness Book of Records for the number of people who can fit inside a California? :D

I'm generally NOT a fan of taking any form of 'tent' which is why I have a high top / LWB Cali.... So I can just rock up and put the kettle on; but for when I can't avoid needing extra space, I think these are ideal.

When you arrive at a camp site do you book it in as an awning or a tent, or a gazebo?

I got charged for a motorhome AND a tent in one place; even though the tent was a small hiking tent and the van was only the same size as a car. Never went back there :mad:

I've heard of that problem but think it's pretty rare. I've never been charged 'twice'. You may find the occasional site (there is one at Lytham) where any awning must be joined to the van. It's a planning rule as their planning permission doesn't allow for 'tents' and they worry a less than proper drive away awning may land them in trouble.
BUT, that is the only site I know of. The pop-up version of the Decathalon shelter we've bought is massively popular with T4 / T5 owners on the main forums, and they make £150 or so 2nd hand on ebay, just for that reason. (No longer available, as ours soon won't be).

OK, you've talked me into it :)

I'm giving one of these a try too, picked one up in store on my way home. Should hopefully use it at the weekend.

tent.JPG I ended up buying two 3-man tent add-ons too, so I can just take the middle shelter, or one bedroom or two. Now I just need some friends!
For those not familiar with this thread, the central unit in this image is 3m x 3m footprint and 2.35m tall at the highest point. This complete set up is £300 (£160 centre, £120 each side tent) and seems to be brilliantly built. But it doesn't attach to the van.

That's interesting..... how do you attach it to the Cali?

You don't. My experience is that the hassle of doing the attaching bit.... Lining up, messing about with connections, dealing with the 'flappy bit'.... Is more trouble than any benefit won by actually being attached.

I think you could possibly (not tried it yet) wind your (wind out) awning to lip over it if the 1 yard dash from Van to tent is a real problem.

If you read back up the thread there is a potential problem of how you may be classified on a site, but I think that will be very rare.

I would have thought that they are brilliant for the Beach which from previous discussions is often used as a brilliant vehicle to go camping "with" rather than necessarily "in".

And particularly great for yellow beaches ;)

Yellow Beaches match with everithing :Grin

I think I'll give a try. I'll go to Spain in a couple of months and I'll pop into a Decathlon

They look even better value on the non UK Decathalon site sites (The shelter is 174 euro in France), but it is end-of-line (hence the big reduction in prices) so you may miss out.

We have bought this living room together with just one bedroom for future bedding space for the the grandchildren.

I thought the rechargeable pump we have would be OK, but had to go back to Decathlon to buy the stirrup pump today. Will test erect it tomorrow again before this weekend's trip.

Alan

Thanks T4WFA. Actually I'm thinking in buy it in couple of months no for the price, but because in Norwich there is no Decathlon (I guess), and I'm so busy traveling I have no time to go somewherr else. So, when coming "home" in August I'll be able to pop in a Decathlon in Spain or France

We have bought this living room together with just one bedroom for future bedding space for the the grandchildren.

I thought the rechargeable pump we have would be OK, but had to go back to Decathlon to buy the stirrup pump today. Will test erect it tomorrow again before this weekend's trip.

Alan
We were wondering whether the pump comes with it. Looks like she'll have to blow it up by mouth to start with then ;)

The MSH inflatable range does not come with a pump as standard. The 4Ltr version is apparently the right one to buy. A bit easier apparently!

Will find out tomorrow.

Alan

I got a pump for £6 or £7 at the store. Not tested it yet.

Tent arrived today. It was up in the garden when I got home, Marg (wife) & son Gareth had put it up, apparently in 20 minutes.

I was quite impressed, it's really well made and sturdy and I would say possibly it's the best system I have ever seen. It's not just a boring old tent, it's techie and it's a GADGET and I like that! :D

The ground sheet appears a bit thin and I would worry about it becoming damaged by legs of chairs etc, although I don't think the ones supplied with the Cali would.

We dismantled it fairly quickly, but I was not sure how to pack it away not having been there when it was unpacked. The instructions appear to show it folded into four and then rolled up, but we found it difficult to get it back in the bag as it was too fat. The video, however, shows it being folded into thirds and then folded over again; when we tried this it was even fatter but shorter and no way would it fit. Next attempt we went back to thirds and then rolled it up, it was now a bit too long but we were able to squash it in and get the zip closed. It still wouldn't fit into the box it was delivered in though!

Next step was finding somewhere to pack it in the van. We have two large boxes under the bed, and the porta potti. One of the boxes had to go, the tent was then stored lengthways. I was able to redistribute the contents of the discarded box elsewhere, although rather less conveniently than previously. I must mention also that it's quite a heavy lump, given the size of it when erected you can't criticise it for that but you would need to consider it if your are carrying a lot of other heavy items.

Now, the problem is, Marg wants me to send it back. Says we don't need it and it takes up too much space. And, threateningly, she says there's nowhere for my beer :shocked. Well, I reckon there is if we move the porta potty into the living area and use it (with cover) as a footstool. We could also dispense with numerous items of ladies footwear, but I think I am on a loser here ....

For the price I reckon it's a really good buy, we don't really need it that much but it's nice to have for the odd occasion ... would make a good summer house in the garden too, and I reckon our 3 yo granddaughter will love it when she see it, so maybe that will swing things.

Must go chuck some junk out of the garage to find a home for it ....

We put ours up this afternoon, third time of trying. Not for any other reason than I though it came with a pump, and the rechargeable one we have wasn't up to the job.

The 4ltr stirrup pump is very fast as is works on both the up and down stroke and the tent rises easily. I like head room, the storage net in the roof and the midge nets in the doors, but agree the ground sheet, although fitted, may be easily damaged, so will need to keep an eye on that.

We had trouble getting it back into the bag too, and forgot the peg, pole and repair bags which are now in the storage boxes in the van.

Plan to leave it behind the drivers seat when traveling as there are only two of us using the van.
On grandparent duties this weekend and plan to use it then so will see how it goes.

By the way it is much lighter than the Driveaway Awing we have. Once we have tried the MSH, we will decide which to keep. I know which I want...

Alan

Will be interested to see how you get on with it. No California activities for us this weekend :(

I retrieved my old Kyham motordome tody (to stick on ebay) and it reminded me of how huge a package the Kyhams are! The Decathalon shelter is about 1/2 the volume vs the Kyham.

The packed sizes of all these awnings are a problem, which is why my first comments stated that I'm generally NOT a fan.....because if you take them you have to pitch them.....but the packed Decathalon is smaller than the competition, cheaper, and easy to erect, so the best of a bad job in my opinion.
Thanks for sharing the experiences of 'dismantling'. I've not tried it yet. Is some of the difficulty because some air remains stuck in the chambers?

Back