Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Question about the Parcelshelf Mattress Protector

brooodie

brooodie

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi,

I'm looking for something to protect the mattress but only when it is folded up on the parcel shelf. My mattress already has a cotton mattress protector and then a fitted sheet on top, I prefer it set up like this as It's quick to deploy for sleeping, but I'd like something to cover the whole mattress when folded up so that I can use the parcel shelf as normal (if sitting bags or other stuff on the parcel shelf it currently sits on the sheet which is gross). I'd then like to remove the cover while the mattress is still folded up and then unfold it for sleeping.

It's not clear if this product is what I'm looking for,, or if it's something that would cover the whole mattress when it is folded out (the fact that there is no picture of it 'folded out' makes me think it might be)?

If so, does it fit the OEM T6.1 Mattress (Optioned as "Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat" - I'm not sure if that's the same as the 'Comfort Mattress')?

It looks as though this is a PVC backed protector for when the matress is folded in the back. It doesn't look as though it covers it when it is flat. Not sure I'd want it to if it is PVC backed unless there are young children using it who need that kind of thing.

What would the issue be with PVC (Harder to fold and put away maybe?) It doesn't _need_ to be waterproof, but a little bit of durability to prevent drips of water and stuff getting to the sheet below seems sensible?

edit: to be clear, I don't need a mattress protector to be used for sleeping, only for covering the top of the mattress when it is folded up.

Why can‘t you use a simple clean pvc tarp?
Because I didn't want to cut it to size etc and would prefer something that somewhat 'fits'. If I can't find anything pre-made I'll look at fabricating something

Others on here have used awning bags to keep the folded mattress in. Making it easier to remove and store temporarily. The downside to that would be you would have to remove it from the bag outside the van, before unfolding it for use. Would that work?

I used a sun lounger bag - if you search by "mattress Bag" you should find a couple of threads. £15 off amazon & fits the folded up mattress & is exactly the right size for an Ocean rear shelf.
The zip goes round 3 sides so you can just unzip & unfold leaving the bag under the mattress without getting out the van.lounger bag.jpeg

Others on here have used awning bags to keep the folded mattress in. Making it easier to remove and store temporarily. The downside to that would be you would have to remove it from the bag outside the van, before unfolding it for use. Would that work?
If I was being really picky I'd prefer something I could remove more easily than that, from inside the van, but thanks for the idea!

If I was being really picky I'd prefer something I could remove more easily than that, from inside the van, but thanks for the idea!
Ive just edited my post to include:
The zip goes round 3 sides so you can just unzip & unfold leaving the bag under the mattress without getting out the van.

I use a piece of oil cloth. Easy to fold and store when not needed.
0c05adb578cbfec7bf24b9d4fd6442cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers - worth a punt at £15, the only one I could find on amazon though doesn't look like it zips all the way back (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2HPFHA/?tag=eliteelect-21)
Thats similar - I cant find the one we had, you could easily use that one just put it in the van the other way round with the zip facing the seat.
At that price its worth a punt?
The extra standard shelf mat also fitted in the bag but made it a bit of a squeeze.

We had a heavy duty waterproof zipped bag with cary handles made for our folded mattress.

Cost was about £60.

DCDB29B3-7D4F-4EC5-80E9-704F59E5D90B.jpeg

Back