Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Question from Beginners: Knowing what you know now, what would be your top five "must-have" accessories for the Cali?

C

CaliKate

Guest User
We're getting our VW California Ocean in less than two weeks and are taking everyone's advice, in that, we won't be buying any accessories until we've had a few trips out in it. You know, to see what we actually need.

But I'm curious. Many of you will be lucky enough to have had a Cali or converted Transporter for a while. You've been there. You've learnt the lessons. You've camped in warm and cold weather. You've done weekend breaks and longer road trips. You've been through a lot together.

With all of your collected wisdom, what would you say are the top five accessories for the van? You know, to help the beginners amongst us.

Personally, we've got our eye on some seat covers, carpet and Portapotti all from Brandrup (and the obvious stuff like electric plug-up thingy, gas bottle, etc). But what else? Or can you confirm these are wise first investments? Cheers, Kate

Ask 100 Cali owners and you,lol get 110 different opinions, all completely subjective.

Here’s mine. Not sure of the logic of having seat covers AND carpet. Presumably you want seat covers cos you’re messy, have mucky pups etc.? If so, do you really want carpets, to catch all that crud, rather than brush-out, wipe clean flooring.?

(Rather than carpet, We just have a nice Welsh woven rug, that we shake out every morning, and goes in the washing machine once in a while).

Ask 100 Cali owners and you,lol get 110 different opinions, all completely subjective.

Here’s mine. Not sure of the logic of having seat covers AND carpet. Presumably you want seat covers cos you’re messy, have mucky pups etc.? If so, do you really want carpets, to catch all that crud, rather than brush-out, wipe clean flooring.?

(Rather than carpet, We just have a nice Welsh woven rug, that we shake out every morning, and goes in the washing machine once in a while).

Thanks so much! I don’t think our hearts are set on anything. We just keep getting advice that seat covers and carpet are a good thing.

I like the idea of a rug, definitely. One we can wash! Makes sense, that! Thanks again

Wind out awning
Water proof seat covers
Quality Double sleeping bag and pillows
Ridge monkey hobs for outside cooking
Bottle is wine or two!
Give it time you will find the van has and can do everything you need, that’s why it cost so much, it’s like the five star hotel on wheels!
We all have our preferences and this is the place to collect ideas,
You will find you have kit specific for winter, summer, Europe and uk, my biggest tip is get out and enjoy at every opportunity!
Have fun

We got the Brandrup seat covers which are great, easily washed and i
would get them again but i don't know why.

A calicap roof topper which stops the roof bellows getting wet so when
you close the roof the bed stays dry, but do we really need it, i don't know,
we shouldn't really need it unless in the north west of england.

And the most used is a cheap cartridge gas stove, handy for the spitting
fry ups and currys but some could argue why fry outside when you've got it all
there inside. So i don´´t know why why have that either. But it was good until
the cadac safari chef number 2 came along.

A small brush is handy, i have one that decorators use to brush wallpaper on.

Personally, we've got our eye on some seat covers, carpet and Portapotti all from Brandrup (and the obvious stuff like electric plug-up thingy, gas bottle, etc). But what else? Or can you confirm these are wise first investments? Cheers, Kate

What you've listed looks perfect. If you are intending keeping the portapotti under the sink its worth getting the special tray for it that stops it sliding round. We like the brandrup carpet, the standard pimply floor is horrible in bare feet.

I would also add some levelling ramps, even the hardstandings on some top of the range sites are not always level.

I wouldn't buy anything else till you've tried camping in it. I wouldn't even bother with sleeping bags, we take the duvet from home.

Number 1 a porta potti.
Number 2 a folding camping table from Aldi £20. To cook on.
Number 3 two camping cheapie gas cookers for using outside £10 each
Number 4 a small oven from Aldi. Less than £20. Makes fantastic baked potatoes...
Number 5 a 21 inch tv and decent Ariel ( for when it’s wazzing down and dark) From Aldi £120...
There are loads more things but these are just 5 off the top of my head...

This is my own personal opinion and dare say many would disagree agree.
And yes we shop at Aldi.

Our Cali has just been out on its first big trip and we are very happy with our checklist of purchases. We searched through previous forum posts (so thank you everyone for your sound advice going back through the years of posting) .. and then we came up with this list:
* Electric hook up .. in two separate lengths of 10m. Each length came in a small bag and I put the UK adaptor in one bag and the continental one in the other. Two separate lengths means that you don’t have to unfurl everything if you only need the shorter length.
* 7m of water hose .. for filling/topping up .. because you want to be sure that your hose is clean (and hasn’t been stuck down someone’s Porta Potti!)
* Seat Covers ... we bought the covers that look exactly like the originals .. just need them to cope with grandchildren clambering everywhere .. you’d never know they are on so it’s a bit of a weird one.
* Car kit - we bought a bag of essentials which includes a continental kit (you need 2x warning triangle in some countries so our kit includes a warning triangle, breathalyser kit, high vis jackets, headlight deflectors, tow rope etc.
* Bulb kit
* A rubber backed doormat for the floor in front of the back seats (we can use it as an outside door mat when we pitch).
* Gas Bottle - it’s surprisingly expensive for the first layout.
* Levelling chocks - we weren’t sure if we were going to need these, but they were used for 5 out of 10 stops in the alps.
* Guy ropes for the wind out awning .. yes, we needed these too.
* First Aid kit
* Fire blanket
* carbon monoxide alarm - only really needed if you start using the heater but again, I thought it best to get everything at once while I am in the zone.
* Stuff to clean the water system before its first use (perhaps overkill but as you are recommended to clean it every year, I thought I might as well start out right).
* We bought the bespoke fitted sheets for both beds just to get us started and save time. There is probably a cheaper/better option.
* Corkscrew, Sea to Summit kitchen bits and bobs, unbreakable glassware from M&S, small dustpan & brush, kitchen storage boxes from Ikea + a chopping board and some bamboo bowls and cups.
We use packing cubes in the wardrobe for our clothes and wash bags, which is working well (his n hers).
We keep all our garage bits in the drawer under the seat so that we can get to it without opening the boot lid (we’ve got a bike rack) and I have lined the drawer with carpet so that there’s no rattling.
* Carpet for the boot. ... this was a real luxury but we felt we needed it because we will be transported some larger sports equipment that would benefit from cushioning and protection for the insides of the van. We are really happy with this though .. a bit of extra protection and peace of mind.
I understand that not everyone needs the ‘protective’ layers but as our van will be used by multiple generations, we wanted to cover all bases right from the off.
I became a Cali Club VIP member to get the discounts and the shop was really helpful.
Hope this helps ..

Comfortz awning kit. Simple and effective way to give extra space, I'm surprised how much we have used it.
Also a bed topper, makes for a comfortable nights sleep.

Wow wow wow! Thank you so much folks!

Haha! Love the suggestions of beer and wine! And chilli sauce!? Sorry to disappoint but I don’t drink booze and I hate anything spicy.

I know! o_O

Apart from the power lead, gas bote and water pipe, my list would be:

Collapsible kettle
Improved Cutlery drawer (much better)
Collapsible bucket for washing up
Small Pop up bin
Piezo electric ignition thing for the gas rings
Cadac Safari chef 2
Comfortz external screen wrap

More than 5 I know.

Most of the above can be had from the club shop. Become a VIP member and get the discount.

For those that aren’t in the club shop, a quick google search will find them.

Zonesleeper/mattress from club shop
Vango double sleeping bag
Wind/rain deflectors
Ridge monkey
Small oil filled radiator

PS Brandrup isotop for the roof area. & base seconds pop up tent

- ridge monkey
- floor carpet
- outdoor mat
- laundry line
- Ikea storage boxes

Haha! Love the suggestions of beer and wine! And chilli sauce!? Sorry to disappoint but I don’t drink booze and I hate anything spicy.

I know! o_O
[QUAt last someone else who doesn’t drink nor like spicy food OTE="CaliKate, post: 367923, member: 19981"]

I know! o_O
[/QUOTE]
Woohoo someone else who doesn’t drink nor like spicy food
Our top picks
Dometic fridge
CaliCap sliding drawer
Premium leather seat covers
Rainbow front & rear screen covers
Brandrup internal Isotop

[QUAt last someone else who doesn’t drink nor like spicy food OTE="CaliKate, post: 367923, member: 19981"]

I know! o_O
Our top picks
Dometic fridge
CaliCap sliding drawer
Brandrup internal Isotop
[/QUOTE]
I'd love to go out on the town with you 2. Lemonade and then an omelette afterwards. Make it as bland as possible please waiter. Be a cheap do though. Those vindaloos and real ales can get pricy

Our top picks
Dometic fridge
CaliCap sliding drawer
Brandrup internal Isotop
I'd love to go out on the town with you 2. Lemonade and then an omelette afterwards. Make it as bland as possible please waiter. Be a cheap do though. Those vindaloos and real ales can get pricy
[/QUOTE]

So you’re saying you’re only fun if you drink booze and eat spicy food? ;)

So you’re saying you’re only fun if you drink booze and eat spicy food? ;)
[/QUOTE]
No good story starts with 'so I was eating this salad......'

Back