Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Question on Belgian rules related to tyre size

babble

babble

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi fellow Belgian cali owners. (from an expat living here for the last 20 years)

So, i'm waiting for my next Cali, moving from a Coast to a 4 Motion Beach, and I'm wanting to raise the suspension up 35mm and put some slightly bigger off-road tyres on it. I've been trying to get information on the legality / feasibility of this but i''m struggling and wondering if any of you can help? From what i can tell raising the suspension should be OK, but any increase in tyre circumference is not allowed. (But then i'm wondering if the speedometer is adjusted can you have it validated?)

Thanks!
Ben

Hi, I'm also a brit in Brussels with a call!
Last year I wanted to put new boots on the van and ended up down this rabbit hole of what's allowed and what's allowed and what's not. I'll be honest I'm still not entirely sure?
When I get five mins this weekend I'll send you some more info from my experience...
Cheers
Matt

Ok, so my story... I have a 2001 T4 and I fancied myself some of the 16" BBS alloy wheels (that were original to the red 'i' TDI engine models as an option). I bought a set of these (second hand) from Germany, they came with tyres size 225/60R16 - which were not compliant at all. Bear in mind the original wheels were 15" steels.
However, I passed through the control technic for 4 years with these 16" wheel/tyre combination and they were either never checked OR they didn't mind, not sure which (and my van had a wonderful episode with the CT here concerning the fitment of a Bearlock - its documented somewhere in the forum here - so they've certainly been thorough with my van over the years!).

Last year I decided to replace the aging tyres and wanted to put the right ones (or at least 'authorised' ones). I thought I'd done my homework. I found this website (which admittedly is for Flanders, but they should have the same rules everywhere in Belgium shouldn't they - i say this tongue in cheek...).

The site is of course in Dutch, but you can translate if required.
I understood this site to tell me that if I chose tyres that were within tolerance of the original tyres (listed in the Certificate of Conformity), then I'd be ok. You can put the original size and the size you want and it will indicate if they're within tolerance. Incidentally the 225/60R16 that were on the wheels for the previous 4 years, were not within the tolerance according this website.

When i went to the garage for the new tyres they told me I had to fit whatever was listed in the C.o.C. and I shouldn't deviate from that - I even showed them the website above and how the size I chose were within the stated tolerance, but they said that didn't matter.

Long story short, I insisted on the tyres as these were the only wheels I have now, but they noted on the invoice that they'd advised me against them - their ass covered. I've subsequently passed the CT again without issue.

Moral of the story, not sure in all honesty. Maybe you get away with it, maybe you don't.
If you want to be 100% then I suggest you go to the CT station and ask someone to clarify what the rules are.
Other option could be (and the garage did suggest me this), you go to the CT with the original wheels (or your winter set) and once you're home you switch them over until the following year's CT...

About the speedometer, funnily enough, with the old tyres the speedo tallied pretty close with a GPS speed reading, but with the new tyres (which in theory have the same circumference as the C.o.C. stated tyre size, there is a difference. Whether or not the GPS speed reading is correct I don't know either, but I thought it interesting to point out.

As for the lift, I couldn't say, I've no experience of that. But the same website has some info about tuning and lowering:

Hope this helps? Good luck!

It's more important - IMO - that both tyres on the same axe are identical. Same number, type of profile, weight class etc..

It's more important - IMO - that both tyres on the same axe are identical. Same number, type of profile, weight class etc..
Indeed that would go without saying, but along with that are also the rules that the CT will want you to follow if they start checking thoroughly...
The tyres i chose are van rated (Goodyear Cargo Vector - all season) and so are fit for purpose, its just the question if the CT accept the tolerance difference (as is mentioned in the GOCA website) or stick rigidly to the C.o.C. stated sizes?? This i don't know...

Back