Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Radiator fan comes on straight away

Hulky

Hulky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi
I have striped the bumper of to change the ac condenser.
So after putting new condenser on I thought I would turn engine over to check everything ok.
But as soon as I turned it on after sitting on drive for 3 days both radiator fans come on
Also the dash outside temperature display does not show anything.
The new condenser has not been regarded yet,
Bumper is still off at the moment
Can anybody shine any light on why the fans are coming on ??

Thanks john

Last edited:
Check the radiator mounted fan switches, make sure you haven't trapped the cable, I think there are 2 switches. One top and the other bottom.

Assume a typo 'condenser not been regarded yet'
Did you put the temp setting up to see if fans stopped?
If aircon hasn't been regassed then the system will put the fans on to cool but no cooling action without gas.

Not sure where the outside temp sensor is but they are often down by the bumper in many vehicles. Did you unplug anything when taking it off?

You'll probably get better info from the more Cali knowledge base but this may give a start.

Thanks guys
I am going to get it regassed this morning lets hope that sorts it ?
Yes you need to disconnect 3 electrical connectors 2 under left side of bumper and 1 to the right.

Thanks guys
I am going to get it regassed this morning lets hope that sorts it ?
Yes you need to disconnect 3 electrical connectors 2 under left side of bumper and 1 to the right.
I don't think it will. I presume it was degassed before you changed the Condenser. I would check those electrical connections. Clean contacts and check they are the correct way around.

No I assumed it was empty of gas with the leak ?
I haven't put bumper back on yet as I am at kwik fit now to regard them fit bumper and connect electrics.
Do you think when I reconnect electrics fan will go off ?

No I assumed it was empty of gas with the leak ?
I haven't put bumper back on yet as I am at kwik fit now to regard them fit bumper and connect electrics.
Do you think when I reconnect electrics fan will go off ?
I think it is probably all due to those connections, probably to some temperature sensor. Fingers crossed.:thumb

I think it is probably all due to those connections, probably to some temperature sensor. Fingers crossed.:thumb
There is a sensor on the bumper but not sure if is just for outside temperature ?
It is being regarded as I speak.Fingers crossed

Ok regased and ac is working great.
Just need to put bumper back and connect electrics to see if fans go off

I am sure I read somewhere that there were 2 connections in that area that are easily swapped causing this issue?

Back