Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Radio - connect to leisure battery

Matthew Mills

Matthew Mills

Living the dream...
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Has anyone run a feed from the leisure battery under the passenger seat too the radio? I want to avoid drain the engine battery... so is my understand ing right? e.g. that the radio is connected to the engine battery and can anyone b) help explain where I should connect the feed on the rear of the Radio etc?

Thanks dubbers... :D

This has been done in the past, however, I don't know the answer.

What I do know is it's not as straight forward as saying connect A to B.

The VW's have a CANBUS system, this system tells the radio to turn off after 25 minutes, so you'll need get around this.

That is if you have a VW Stereo and not an aftermarket one, you didn't say.

There was a post on this in the last couple of weeks.

SEARCH FUNCTION.

This has been done in the past, however, I don't know the answer.

What I do know is it's not as straight forward as saying connect A to B.

The VW's have a CANBUS system, this system tells the radio to turn off after 25 minutes, so you'll need get around this.

That is if you have a VW Stereo and not an aftermarket one, you didn't say.

I do VW standard unit - DAB and Nav etc...

Update it's a:- RNS 315 Sat Nav with DAB & Bluetooth Prem

Last edited:
Does CAN switch the radio off internally or by simply cutting the power ?

If it's the former then the power source should be irrelevant and could be taken from the leisure battery supply.

Is there a CAN diagram anywhere here?
I'd be interested to take a look.

Does CAN switch the radio off internally or by simply cutting the power ?

If it's the former then the power source should be irrelevant and could be taken from the leisure battery supply.

Is there a CAN diagram anywhere here?
I'd be interested to take a look.

These are the pin assignments for the RNS 510. The CAN connections are clearly shown on multi plug 2.
I'm going to have a play around when I get time and see what happens when the CAN leads are disconnected. It can't be a permanent disconnect though as I guess that the MFD relies on these for info from the head unit. If it does stop the unit turning off then fitting a switch in the circuit should do the trick. Could be along job though, waiting twenty minutes each time to see if it goes off.:(
http://www.my-gti.com/529/volkswagen-rns-510-pin-assignments

So 12v supply is on pins 12 (-) from 30 (fuse board) and 15 (+) from 31 fuse board.

It would apear the CAN does the switching internally. I'll bet the source of the main supply makes no difference.
With the engine running (split charge relay closed , the leisure battery is commoned with the main fuse board rails 30 and 31 so it's effectively the same source.

So 12v supply is on pins 12 (-) from 30 (fuse board) and 15 (+) from 31 fuse board.

It would apear the CAN does the switching internally. I'll bet the source of the main supply makes no difference.
With the engine running (split charge relay closed , the leisure battery is commoned with the main fuse board rails 30 and 31 so it's effectively the same source.

Sidepod... I'm a non-tech but does this mean that if the engine is running load is on all batteries... only when engine off do the utilities run from the leisure and radio etc., from the engine cracking battery? Is that right?

Okay some research done and it seems there 'might' be some hidden menu items is VAGcom which 'might' mean that the period after engine off or radio on while engine off can be changed - which makes perfect sense as at a software level such a period would not be hard coded - it would be variable. (configurable). So as long 'in theory' the source can be leisure and the variable changed... Then there's a potential solution.

I'm determined to resolve as music at festivals etc., is a must... Kids just love putting decks on the ipad and blast some mixes out...

But I don't want a flat cranking battery... Now I need to fins a friendly VAGcom man to check for me! The I'll do the wiring - which looking at all your useful information can be achieved...

Sidepod... I'm a non-tech but does this mean that if the engine is running load is on all batteries... only when engine off do the utilities run from the leisure and radio etc., from the engine cracking battery? Is that right?

If the engine is running then all load is fed from the alternator including all battery charging.
Once the engine is stopped the split charge relay disconnects the leisure batteries (and therefore leisure loads) from the main starter battery making it (almost) impossible to flatten your starter battery.
In this condition the mains voltage charger unit charges both leisure battery and starter battery, the latter via a separate output (on later Cali's).

Can I suggest just buying a Bose mini link to Bluetooth music to from an iPad. Infinitely better than any onboard unit.

Okay some research done and it seems there 'might' be some hidden menu items is VAGcom which 'might' mean that the period after engine off or radio on while engine off can be changed - which makes perfect sense as at a software level such a period would not be hard coded - it would be variable. (configurable). So as long 'in theory' the source can be leisure and the variable changed... Then there's a potential solution.

I'm determined to resolve as music at festivals etc., is a must... Kids just love putting decks on the ipad and blast some mixes out...

But I don't want a flat cranking battery... Now I need to fins a friendly VAGcom man to check for me! The I'll do the wiring - which looking at all your useful information can be achieved...

I'm going to have a hunt through VCDS tomorrow but I can't recall seeing anything about the switch off period.
Some of the settings though aren't very plain as to what they do so I'm a bit reluctant to mess around too much without knowing exactly what does what.

I had mine done by an auto electrician - cost me about £100 and was done while I waited. Have got a neat little switch on the base of the passenger seat to switch it to the leisure battery when I get to site. No more worries about running the engine battery down or the head unit turning off every 20 minutes. If you're unsure why not just do that?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I've just had another go at this with VCDS but no luck so far.
The MMI referred to appears to be an Audi only and doesn't come up on the Cali.
I did find another thread giving the code for altering the time that the radio stays on (from 1-99mins) but unfortunately this particular channel is again unavailable on the Cali. At least it is on ours.
Perhaps someone with better knowledge of VCDS can find a way of doing the coding but it looks like I will have to look at the disconnecting the CAN wires method.

Freeley.. Does yours still turn off after about 20mins. If not I would be interested in knowing how it's been done. Perhaps the earlier Calis weren't so reliant on the Canbus or perhaps it is a completely different Canbus system??

I did find another thread giving the code for altering the time that the radio stays on (from 1-99mins) but unfortunately this particular channel is again unavailable on the Cali. At least it is on ours.
Perhaps someone with better knowledge of VCDS can find a way of doing the coding but it looks like I will have to look at the disconnecting the CAN wires method.

Freeley.. Does yours still turn off after about 20mins. If not I would be interested in knowing how it's been done. Perhaps the earlier Calis weren't so reliant on the Canbus or perhaps it is a completely different Canbus system??

MMI is a different stereo unit than the RNS units.

Not sure if it's possible to change this via VCDS.

No it stays on as long as I've got the leisure battery switch on. I heard the bloke muttering about relays and such like, but I know nothing about electrics so didn't ask for details I'm afraid.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

No it stays on as long as I've got the leisure battery switch on. I heard the bloke muttering about relays and such like, but I know nothing about electrics so didn't ask for details I'm afraid.

Sent from my Galaxy S6
That's interesting. The only reason for auto switch off is to save the starter battery. Now you're using a leisure feed it no longer does this, unprompted.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Perhaps what they have done is put in a 12v line through the switch on the seat base from the LB to the dash behind the radio somewhere. This would feed the 12v into the radio and also operate a multi contact relay that breaks all the connections on the multi plug 2. ie cuts off the power from the starter battery and the Canbus connections.
Should be fairly straightforward, just need to find a suitable relay. I guess it would invalidate the warranty though.
I'll have a look into it.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Where are you based - or more importantly where is you auto electrician and what his name/details please.

Not as technically challenging but a lot of people on here have mentioned they just switch to a Bose SoundLink when parked up.

We have one and it's way more practical and sounds amazing, easier to pick up and move outside etc. or upstairs if we're watching a movie or something.

What? That would be an 10 pole relay!!!!

It would cost a bit more than £100!!

I think you're trying to over complicate this.

If you can access the rear of the head unit put in a temp supply from the leisure battery to replace the stater battery supply and see if CAN complains.

What? That would be an 10 pole relay!!!!

It would cost a bit more than £100!!

I think you're trying to over complicate this.

If you can access the rear of the head unit put in a temp supply from the leisure battery to replace the stater battery supply and see if CAN complains.

No it works fine wired to the leisure battery but the canbus still turns it off after twenty minutes. All the functions work ok together with the MFD, climatronic, parking sensors, camera etc.
Not sure where you have got £100 for a relay from, just ordered a module with eight relays on for under a tenner. Actually will only need seven as the ground is common so can stay connected.

No it works fine wired to the leisure battery but the canbus still turns it off after twenty minutes. All the functions work ok together with the MFD, climatronic, parking sensors, camera etc.
Not sure where you have got £100 for a relay from, just ordered a module with eight relays on for under a tenner. Actually will only need seven as the ground is common so can stay connected.

Oops sorry, we've got our wires crossed, get it ? Wires cr......never mind. I was referring to the cost Freely paid his spark to add a simple switch..

I can't wait to get a T5/6. All these extra wires to play with..last time I looked at a Data Bus was back in the early 80's as an appo working on developing 2 core bus highway for weapons kit on subs. Back then each bus controller was about the size of a brief case!