Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Radio description

TonyC

TonyC

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I’m sure this is a stupid question but I am trying to find out how to best describe the radio in my recently purchased 2018 Beach. We had the sat nav added when we purchased it so they replaced the whole unit and gave us the old one to take away. I’m planning to sell it but don’t know if it has a name - I’ve seen other threads referring to RCD 310 but these look different. Was wondering if anyone would know what it is from any of the various pictures below - of course, if anyone is interested in having it then let me know

Thanks

D99E94C5-C62F-4C2F-8E29-3D7B8C2B10FA.jpeg

5A8F148C-B9E2-4532-801A-80DEF8763515.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this the Discover Media (generation 2)?

Hmm, not sure if it was a good idea to show the VIN number of the radio.
One can find out the radio code with this!!
If your unit is stolen, it might be from someone here on the forum!

Thanks both for the replies - apologies for the delay in responding

I think this is sufficient to try to sell the unit, unless someone relieves me of it prior to then!!

I've read about people fitting these into older vehicles, I wonder if the T5 would be possible I suspect it may not be easy or possible but interesting to know.

According to this site, will fit in a facelift T5 https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/products/volkswagen-retrofits/volkswagen-discover-media-mib2/
It certainly won't fit most T5.1 California's, as most are delivered with the Multivan dashboard (except for the UK?).
The Multivan dashboard carries the radio units of the Touareg: not screwed but clicked in. the radio front should be rectangular, without the 4 holes near the screen.
Those will only fit (at least visual) the Transporter/Caravelle dashboard. Don't know if they will fit electrically (functionally).

I've just had the same exact unit replaced by VW under warranty.

I was told that they are £2000 value. But I have not investigated further to know if correct.

Either way, is not a cheap item.

My T5.1 2015 Cali has screw in fitting for the radio like the OP's Radio. If I could see the rear fitting I can compare as I have replaced my standard radio

I think VW charge about £1200 for the radio I believe, second hand value seems to be 500-600 maybe a little more. Some companies offer a retrofit for £1799 to older vehicles Im assuming that needs some modifications.

Looks like there is a second newer version, so will depend which you have maybe?

Last edited:
My T5.1 2015 Cali has screw in fitting for the radio like the OP's Radio. If I could see the rear fitting I can compare as I have replaced my standard radio
Mine screws in too, my rns315 looks the same fitting wise, maybe the uk dash is different? Its the integration that may be a challenge but I did a google and it seems the discover was put in a few of the last t5.1 but that may have involved other parts too I guess.