Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

radio on without motor running

V

velucas

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,

We just bought our T5 VW California. Now we're staying on a camping in Lattes , Le Parc (nearby Montpellier). Great! We're branched on the electricity 230v from the camping. Can I leave my radio on without a running motor? (other words : is the radio not connected tot the standard battery?).

Lucas

PS1 : sorry for my bad English.
PS2 : .. and probably for the stupid question :oops:

Hi and welcome , the radio will switch itself off after a while to prevent the engine/starter battery to flat out.
If you are on hook up (220v) the batteries will be connected to that and they will not flat down
On hookup all three batteries are charedged ( T5's only i think)
There are some treads on the forum about that , better to use the "search" button first

As for the bad Englisch , mine isn't that good but understandebel
Try to add in your personal details where you from so people understand why your Englisch is not that good , if your not from UK....

Hookup will only trickle charge main battery. It probably will not keep battery charged if you use stereo a lot as it draws a lot of current.

Great to have such a forum that reacts instantly! :D Really helpful.

Rewired our radio to the leisure battery in the hope that it wouldn't keep turning off but it's still the same. Must be something to do with the Canbus system.
It's going into HazzyDayz next week to have the steering wheel buttons fitted so I'll ask them if it can be recoded.

briwy said:
Rewired our radio to the leisure battery in the hope that it wouldn't keep turning off but it's still the same. Must be something to do with the Canbus system.
It's going into HazzyDayz next week to have the steering wheel buttons fitted so I'll ask them if it can be recoded.

Yes it is the can bus that shuts it down after 20 - 30 mins irrespective of where it is powered from. It has nothing to do with coding as far as I am aware. It needs someone to work out how to fool the can bus that it is switched off when powered from the leisure batteries & when powered from main battery to control it. If the can bus is disconnected from the stereo (if that is possible) then you will lose the reverse sensors & climatronic display.

you can change the length of time it will stay on through coding in VCDS but only to a maximum of 60 mins. if you want it on longer it's a case of pushing the on button on the radio for another period,

Ian

another interesting radio fact,
I only noticed this week after a long drive, we put the bed down and left the news on the radio before going to sleep, we locked the doors by using the switch on the drivers door and I just let the radio turn it's self off after the hr, in the morning I opened the doors on the switch again and the radio then turns on again, have tried this more then once now so not a one off occurrence.

I spent a lot of time and reasearch into this as it was driving me nuts having to get up and turn the radio back on. I even considered a second radio in the rear wired to the leisure batt connected by a changeover switch to the standard speakers.

I have now solved the issue with minimal cost and a satisfactory answer.

1 august wifi freeview tuner
1 sony srs-xb 21 portable bluetooth speaker

I use the tuner with an aerial so no data usage on my phone and get dab through that. The quality through the speaker is awsome and it has 12 hours of battery currently on sale at argos for pennies. The tuner can also run on internal battery or usb for 11 hours. Small and compact solution and also good for films or music. all for under £70.00