Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Radio switch off delay

P

petec

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All
Has anyone managed to alter the radio switch off delay on RDS 510, factory set to 30mins ? Its irritating when you are chilling out in the evening and radio keeps turning off.

Pete

I think from memory the delay is controlled by the Canbus because the radio is connected to the starter battery not the leisure.

Some users get the radio rewired to the leisure battery to avoid the risk of the dead starter battery. It may also get around the 30 min timer too?

I think from memory the delay is controlled by the Canbus because the radio is connected to the starter battery not the leisure.

Some users get the radio rewired to the leisure battery to avoid the risk of the dead starter battery. It may also get around the 30 min timer too?
Thanks Matt, Just been reading all the links you sent , I had hoped it might be a menu option, not sure I want to rewire so may just put up with inconvenience. we are usually on hookup so no danger of flattening the battery.

So far correct , but you will drain the engine bat. if you keep your radio on.

I think you can get the shut off time increased to 60 minutes. You will probably be ok with hookup but I havent tested it.

I think you can get the shut off time increased to 60 minutes. You will probably be ok with hookup but I havent tested it.
It is okay because I have switched radio back on repeatably and used for a couple of hours but its annoying to have to keep switching back on

According to the vehicle manual both leisure and vehicle batteries are charged when on Hookup, are you suggesting this is incorrect ?
Anyone seen that hook up charges vehicle battery as I cannot see it in mine. Would give confidence to keep pushing the radio button repeatedly.

Anyone seen that hook up charges vehicle battery as I cannot see it in mine. Would give confidence to keep pushing the radio button repeatedly.
That is an experiment I haven't had time to do.
I don't think the system is designed to do that but there was a trick I did on a previous vehicle that worked if you got the hookup connected whilst the engine was still running or started the vehicle again after hookup was connected.
It worked because the Voltage controlled relay only opened when the cranking battery dropped below 12.6v (ie not being charged by the alternator) so if you got the hookup connected then the charge current flowed back to the cranking battery and kept the relay closed because it never sees the volt drop.
On the T6 the relay is ecu controlled as afar as I can ascertain because I hear it drop as the start stop cuts in, so may not be possible.

I think the engine battery only gets a trickle top-up charge when on hook-up.
So it is feasible to drain it if you are using the radio extensively. Modern radios are surprisingly thirsty, hence the auto shut off by the ECU.

The reverse is also true, in that the leisure batteries only get a trickle charge when you are driving. The priority for the alternator has to be fully charging the engine battery.

Better to buy a small radio and use the mains. We have a Pure DAB/FM radio we use.

Last edited:
If the "Radio" was just a radio then there wouldn't be a problem, however most systems nowadays are the equivalent of a small computer and have significant 12v power requirements.

If the "Radio" was just a radio then there wouldn't be a problem, however most systems nowadays are the equivalent of a small computer and have significant 12v power requirements.
I carry a small computer (iPhone) and have a Bluetooth speaker. Think my iPhone will last better than the cab radio. Problem sorted.

I carry a small computer (iPhone) and have a Bluetooth speaker. Think my iPhone will last better than the cab radio. Problem sorted.
iPhone doesn't have to start a 2 Litre Diesel engine and heat the glow plugs at -20c.

No but I can dance the night away and leave the Cali to start in the morning if I use my phone.
Blimey, you must have a good iPhone battery, unless of course you are helping it out with the Cali's Leisure Battery.

When on Mains Charger the Leisure Battery Voltage is the same as the Engine Battery Voltage, at least on my vehicle. That's using a Digital Voltmeter in a 12v socket powered by the Leisure Batteries and another socket powered by the Engine Battery only.
However, unless you have checked on your vehicle do not assume your vehicle does the same.

Back