Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rain Water inside of Folding Mirrors.

L

Laidback

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi , have noticed that there appears to be a quantity of water coming from my folding mirrors when folded in after it has rained. I was wondering where this water is gathering within the mirror, and is there any history of the innards rusting/corroding ?

Hi , have noticed that there appears to be a quantity of water coming from my folding mirrors when folded in after it has rained. I was wondering where this water is gathering within the mirror, and is there any history of the innards rusting/corroding ?
Normal. No problem after 7 yrs.

Happens mine too. I don't think it's anything to worry about but will be interested to hear other people's experiences.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes normal, I had to replace the "off side mirror unit" in Dec. 2019 as it would no longer fold in on a 2010 SE , know idea if water had anything to do with it as near side still fine. £310.10 supplied and fitted by VW main dealer. Ouch!!

Here is a picture showing the T6 mirror with the decorative cap removed

you can see that everything is waterproof, the water merely collect in the decorative cap when folded and comes out as intended when the mirror returns to its driving position

0EE44873-8497-47BE-8756-BFC8EB015A5E.jpeg

A big thanks to, WGas, paradise city, Beeechke 1 for you replies, and especially Perfectos, for the very helpful image of the mirror internals. Did wonder if there were any hidden drain holes that needed clearing that I may have missed.

I suppose the one thing to remember is to not leave the vehicle with mirrors folded, outside, for prolonged periods in the rain or in winter when any water that collects could freeze.
In normal everyday use this wouldn’t be a problem but camper/conversions could spend prolonged periods not being driven.

I suppose the one thing to remember is to not leave the vehicle with mirrors folded, outside, for prolonged periods in the rain or in winter when any water that collects could freeze.
In normal everyday use this wouldn’t be a problem but camper/conversions could spend prolonged periods not being driven.
I thought the problem was water collecting whilst the mirrors were in “normal” mode and only draining when folded? At least that‘s what mine appear to do.

I thought the problem was water collecting whilst the mirrors were in “normal” mode and only draining when folded? At least that‘s what mine appear to do.
Not on mine.

Is this to do with parking on an incline? My drive slopes slightly towards the road and I always park nose facing the road, so logically any rain running down the mirror will tend to run into the mirror housing rather than out off it

Thanks WelshGas, a good point in light of the approaching very cold snap.

Yes ArunAlec, mine are left out in the normal driving position, and when say I park up in a Supermarket car park and turn in the mirrors there is a draining of water. Hence my question, as I thought there might be blocked drain holes, now wondering if there is a hollow within the mirror casing holding a small quantity of water. My van is parked facing in, on an slight upward incline, with the mirrors out ( in normal drive position), would think that any rain water would run out naturally.

Please keep the mirrors folded when parked up. It helps keep the living space of the friendly in-parking-mirror spider dry.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Ha Ha, yes we got one in each mirror.

Is this to do with parking on an incline? My drive slopes slightly towards the road and I always park nose facing the road, so logically any rain running down the mirror will tend to run into the mirror housing rather than out off it
Thanks Beeechke1, please see my post #13.

Yes ArunAlec, mine are left out in the normal driving position, and when say I park up in a Supermarket car park and turn in the mirrors there is a draining of water. Hence my question, as I thought there might be blocked drain holes, now wondering if there is a hollow within the mirror casing holding a small quantity of water. My van is parked facing in, on an slight upward incline, with the mirrors out ( in normal drive position), would think that any rain water would run out naturally.
Mine‘s the same. Collects water in “normal“ mode.

Ditto - only noticed it last week when I had to fold the mirrors when stood outside. Makes me feel like leaving them folded when parked. Appreciate #Perfectos post (and helpful photo) that everything is waterproof - but my gut feel is that its better out than in !

Ditto - only noticed it last week when I had to fold the mirrors when stood outside. Makes me feel like leaving them folded when parked. Appreciate #Perfectos post (and helpful photo) that everything is waterproof - but my gut feel is that its better out than in !
Folding the mirrors when parked is a good visual Cue that the vehicle is locked and the alarm set.

similarly folding / unfolding regularly will remove water whenever it collects in the mirrors (I.e folded or unfolded)

I generally fold my mirrors when parked by holding the button on the fob for a few seconds, but the mirrors (mainly passenger side mirro) do not always reset to the down position when you turn the ignition on and I have to manually turn the mirror knob to up and the back to the down position to get it to reset. Anyone else have the same problem and resolved?

Well..... that’s taught me something - thanks Nick. Didn’t realise the fob would fold the mirrors... (just me being daft I guess). I always use the button on the door. Can’t wait to try it later - I’ll left you know if I have the same issue.

On mine the fob button only close the windows, don't fold the mirrors.
I have to use the button on the the door.

Fob closes the windows too..... ?? Ooooo now I’m excited... better rush home to check :)

Fob closes the windows too..... ?? Ooooo now I’m excited... better rush home to check :)

And opens them too!

Search for the thread "things you didn't know your van did" and you may discover some other neat tricks you didn't know about.

Last edited:
And opens them too!
Yeah, keep that in mind. When you're like me, checking and double checking that you really locked your precious van, you might end up with opened windows. On 2 seperate occasions I found my front windows completely down. Rain gets in quickly that way. ;-)

Back