Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rattle/knock/hum etc

Teejay

Teejay

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all
I have an annoying rattle coming from the passenger side. Having searched the forum for noise/rattle related posts it occurred to me that a thread of common and not so common noises would be a good thing to have?

I figure that this would be useful for all older or newer models that have not changed a great deal in layout or materials. If it's all in one place then its easier for us all to find. If it became a list you could then take it with you on a test drive?

Description:
It would need as a minimum:
Some idea of this location, drivers, passenger, overhead, roof, back, engine bay, underneath.

What it sounds like, metallic, thud, grinding, tinkling etc

When does it occur, moving greater than 30mph, at standstill etc

Tried already:
What from the list have you ruled out and why.

Resolution:
The last one here is important since we want definite fix details.

Good idea or am I re-inventing the wheel?

regards

Nov '16: Since initial post, I found the rattle to be the fridge not being properly closed. A firm push with the palm is required. As it settles this will probably take care of itself.

Last edited:
Thread is a good idea.

As I'm giving this one back and will have another one with different issues I've managed to remain very relaxed about it. Next time it's going to get a good drive before I put anything in it. I'll have a listen today.

Mike

To start.
Rattling drivers door/window. On moving and rough roads.
If Awning fitted. Unwind 6" and re-close. DO NOT over tighten as the gear mechanism has plastic gears and can be stripped.

Knocking above drivers head. More obvious on rough roads.
Open Roof Hatch and check flexible light, if fitted, properly stowed and velcro tie in place.

Rattle/clunk L rear on SE/Ocean. Loudest on rough roads and acute turns.
Check sliding kitchen table securely latched in place

Noise: T5 Passenger door, loud trickling/dripping sound when raining. Seems a little too loud and no equivilent sound on the drivers side makes me suspicious. Never quite worked out if its in the B pillar or the door (as its usually when Im driving I notice it).

When: Slow moving traffic upto 30mph.

Rattling /banging noise from passenger side-- sounds like its coming from b pillar when sat in passenger seat.
sounds like its coming from sink unit when sat in drivers seat.( like pans banging about in cupboard)
Cause.=
B Pillar plastic trim meets alu window blind runner at the bottom (just above the glass sink cover)
These two items meet edge to edge and rub together when driving over rough surfaces.

The volume of noise it creates is incredible for such a small rubbing together of parts.
Cure-- Take off the b pillar trim and using a craft knife trim off approx 1mm from the edge of the trim where it meets the blind runner.

It's a good idea , but this will go on and on giving no solution as everyone hears diffrent things and discribe them diffrent.
I hear diffrent noises on every trip.
Sure the awning , foldable table , bendy light,....are the common noises they wil be solved.
Anyway lets see where we end by the weekend , i say 3 pages.

Creaking from the back door when driving. Rubber grommets/pads where the door meets the bodywork dry. A bit of silicone spray seems to work.

Noise: T5 Passenger door, loud trickling/dripping sound when raining. Seems a little too loud and no equivilent sound on the drivers side makes me suspicious. Never quite worked out if its in the B pillar or the door (as its usually when Im driving I notice it).

When: Slow moving traffic upto 30mph.

I must say I am quite surprised how quiet you can keep the car, when you take in consideration how many things you carry when fully laden.

ON 2016 OCEAN:

DRIPPING NOISE IN DOOR:

As you describe @MattBW we had the same dripping noise in the right front door under heavy rain, staying on a camping. It sounded like water was tripping into a small pool inside the door? Quite concerning, but never had it again, and there seems not to be water inside the door.

SCRATSHING NOISE WHEN ROTATING THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT:
I realized one screw from the seat actually was to long, and when turning the seat, it moved across the base of the seat.

RATTLE FROM THE SMALL UNDERSEAT DRAWER (optional):
I retrofitted the small drawer, and after a while with irritating rattles, i found out that there is a felt padding on the securing lock in the drawer when mounted on the factory. So after fitting one, all is silent.

RATTLE FROM KITCHEN
After a short investigation, I found out that the table was not probably locked … beginner bummer ;-)

TIP:
From IKEA I collected a sheet with adhesive felt in different sizes and shapes. Great to eliminate rattles.

PS: We need to agree on Left or Right. Or at least quote if one drive LHD or RHD ;-)

It's a good idea , but this will go on and on giving no solution as everyone hears diffrent things and discribe them diffrent.
I hear diffrent noises on every trip.
Sure the awning , foldable table , bendy light,....are the common noises they wil be solved.
Anyway lets see where we end by the weekend , i say 3 pages.

It will be three pages if people comment rather than contribute.

Admins can you please remove comments and off topic posts and keep this to the thread title only ?

thanks

It will be three pages if people comment rather than contribute.

Admins can you please remove comments and off topic posts and keep this to the thread title only ?

thanks
:headbang

Ok 2 as below. On a T6 Ocean.

Rattle from f/n turned out to be the left hand windscreen blind.

Rattle we get from the back is from the fridge. Ours needs palm of hand on top and a bit of pressure to ensure fully closed.

Mike

We had a rattle heard from behind passenger seat. Examined the cupboard door and found the little plastic bumper discs had fallen off where door meets trim on closing. Stuck them back on...Sorted

Sometimes the legs rattle in the awning when it's closed. Solution is to put sticky backed felt pads in the housing. The one that you can get for furniture feet work well.

Ok 2 as below. On a T6 Ocean.

Rattle from f/n turned out to be the left hand windscreen blind.

Rattle we get from the back is from the fridge. Ours needs palm of hand on top and a bit of pressure to ensure fully closed.

Mike

Found out today that our new California's funny noise is actually the fridge lid not closing properly (what Kmann would call a "beginner bummer"). Turns out a weak and feeble woman doesn't have enough heft to close the lid firmly (felt firm enough to me when I went through and tested all the obvious things the other day:sad) but the husband closed it with a bit of welly and silence reigned.

You see, this thread has proved useful already :thanks

Found out today that our new California's funny noise is actually the fridge lid not closing properly (what Kmann would call a "beginner bummer"). Turns out a weak and feeble woman doesn't have enough heft to close the lid firmly (felt firm enough to me when I went through and tested all the obvious things the other day:sad) but the husband closed it with a bit of welly and silence reigned.

Don't knock it too hard there have been instances of the glass shattering. Downward pressure over the latch until it pops outwards is what is required. To avoid smells and to keep the fridge dry when not in use I just rest the lid, in the down position with a folded tablecloth to keep it open a few mm.:thumb

The latches on both the fride and coocker lid are a pain in the @ss , using a piece of sanding paper to take away the sharp edge on the plastic clip makes it a bit easyer to close....

My sink lid rattles when on of the small transparent sticky things in the front corners slide ever so slightly forward.
If I slide them back a mil then it is fine, but they slide forwards again eventually

Reactions: wyn
Don't knock it too hard there have been instances of the glass shattering. Downward pressure over the latch until it pops outwards is what is required. To avoid smells and to keep the fridge dry when not in use I just rest the lid, in the down position with a folded tablecloth to keep it open a few mm.:thumb

Noted, WG, thanks.

From the first trip out, our T6 had a rattle noise from the front area of the cabin - sometimes it sounded like the awning, then the front window blinds and sometimes from within the dash.
A couple of months ago a member put out a great thread which highlighted this noise to a badly fitting grommet in the bulkhead (windscreen wiper blank).
Sure enough, our van had the same ill fitting grommet. A quick blob of bathroom sealant and the noise disappeared.
Definately worth checking.

My sink lid rattles when on of the small transparent sticky things in the front corners slide ever so slightly forward.
If I slide them back a mil then it is fine, but they slide forwards again eventually
I Superglued mine in place and haven't had any problems since.

Let me show you what can help if closing the lid on fridge or the coocker is a bit stiff.
IMG_4261.JPG
Above the plastic latch , you can rounden the sharp edge a bit using a pice of sandingpaper ad shown below
IMG_4262.JPG

Back