Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rattle on a new Beach

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We collected our new seven seat Beach on the 1st June and very nice it is too. However from day one there has been an annoying rattle coming from somewhere high up in the back of the vehicle. So far I have ruled out the awning and the upstairs bed and have driven the vehicle with various blinds down to see if it disappears but all to no avail. My wife has even travelled in the back to try and trace the source but with no luck.
If you have a Beach and have experienced a rattle coming from somewhere high up in the back can you give me some more ideas as to what might be causing it?
I know that asking for the possble cause of such a non specific rattle is a very long shot but it is starting to really get on my nerves and any suggestions will be gratefully received.

We collected our new seven seat Beach on the 1st June and very nice it is too. However from day one there has been an annoying rattle coming from somewhere high up in the back of the vehicle. So far I have ruled out the awning and the upstairs bed and have driven the vehicle with various blinds down to see if it disappears but all to no avail. My wife has even travelled in the back to try and trace the source but with no luck.
If you have a Beach and have experienced a rattle coming from somewhere high up in the back can you give me some more ideas as to what might be causing it?
I know that asking for the possble cause of such a non specific rattle is a very long shot but it is starting to really get on my nerves and any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Awning?
Me and @Rhyddin did some fiddling around with the adjustable parts of the awning that were causing quite a rattle and it worked a treat.

hello, same issue here, especially on bumpy roads. i think to pay a visit to dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same issue, I have two rattles on a new T6 Beach.

The first rattle is a metallic noise that appears to be coming from the area in the rear, on the passenger side, behind the trim below the pillar between the living area and the boot (maybe I should add a picture). It sounds like a metallic tapping in the wing behind the trim but I doubt that's the real cause. It's difficult to pin it down to a specific spot and I'm wondering if the sound is being transmitted by something in the roof. I've read about cut hose on the scissor joints (as above post) but I don't seem to have anything like that on the vehicle. Where should it be and what does it look like - does anyone have a photo?

My second rattle is a metallic noise that sounds like it is coming from above the driver's door. I've read the threads on the awning noise but this is no louder with the window open and I have tried unwinding/winding the awning and it doesn't appear to have helped. Of course, it could just be the other side of the roof! I'm somebody that is driven mad by annoying noises in a car, so I would really like to get rid of these and I'm open to suggestions! If anybody has photos of fixes, that would be tremendously useful.

The first rattle is a metallic noise that appears to be coming from the area in the rear, on the passenger side, behind the trim below the pillar between the living area and the boot (maybe I should add a picture). It sounds like a metallic tapping in the wing behind the trim but I doubt that's the real cause. It's difficult to pin it down to a specific spot and I'm wondering if the sound is being transmitted by something in the roof. I've read about cut hose on the scissor joints (as above post) but I don't seem to have anything like that on the vehicle. Where should it be and what does it look like - does anyone have a photo?

My second rattle is a metallic noise that sounds like it is coming from above the driver's door. I've read the threads on the awning noise but this is no louder with the window open and I have tried unwinding/winding the awning and it doesn't appear to have helped. Of course, it could just be the other side of the roof! I'm somebody that is driven mad by annoying noises in a car, so I would really like to get rid of these and I'm open to suggestions! If anybody has photos of fixes, that would be tremendously useful.
Last post on this thread might help.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/loud-clonk-over-certain-bumps.4125/page-2#post-156959

Thank you so much, WelshGas. I've looked all over for a photo of the hose that made sense to me! Between this and the felt on the gas strut, this may get me on my way to a rattle free experience. I'll try these at the weekend and report back :thumb

Awning?
Me and @Rhyddin did some fiddling around with the adjustable parts of the awning that were causing quite a rattle and it worked a treat.
Thanks daveyboydanger,
I also had the awning rattle but managed to sort that one out after reading about your investigations. Two minutes with a spanner and the rattle was gone. Superb. Thanks to you both for your efforts.

Your two rattles sound exactly the same as mine. The second one was the awning arms vibrating on the casing. After reading the post where Ryddin and daveyboydanger had managed to resolve this rattle by adjusting the mechanism, I had a go and hey presto, rattle gone.
The first rattle is really annoying because it is a difficult blighter to trace. I will have a look at these pivot pins in the morning.

I had a rattle on my hire California that sounded like it was coming from the drivers door. It was not there when I picked it up. My rattle seemed to be coming from the awning but you've checked that. I too find rattles very annoying and spoils the whole experience.

Today I replaced the tubing around the front lower roof pivots, as described above. Alas the retched rattle from the rear persists. Has anyone any other ideas please? :(

Today I replaced the tubing around the front lower roof pivots, as described above. Alas the retched rattle from the rear persists. Has anyone any other ideas please? :(
Have you tried what @Rhyddin and I did with adjusting the legs on the awning when they catch the casing?

Have you tried what @Rhyddin and I did with adjusting the legs on the awning when they catch the casing?
Yes, but I plan to take another look at this tomorrow. I may have over done it and raised the legs too much. If I am right then they may be vibrating against the top of the casing. The legs have left a signature mark on the underside of the roll out awning material so this may indicate the legs are now too high. I assume that the arms are supposed to rest on and against the rubber pads inside the casing?

Yes, but I plan to take another look at this tomorrow. I may have over done it and raised the legs too much. If I am right then they may be vibrating against the top of the casing. The legs have left a signature mark on the underside of the roll out awning material so this may indicate the legs are now too high. I assume that the arms are supposed to rest on and against the rubber pads inside the casing?
I think so. I know we made a few different adjustments as we also raised them too high at first. I hope it gets sorted tomorrow. It can drive you crazy.

The gas struts that lift the upstairs bed have a little bit of felt tape stuck to the pivot/attatchment point on my Beach. Been there since I got the vehicle and assume this is to stop a rattle. Worth a look but you will need to raise the roof to see it.
Long shot since you say its a high up noise but the seat base has been known to rattle. Worth trying it in a different position on the floor rails?

The gas struts that lift the upstairs bed have a little bit of felt tape stuck to the pivot/attatchment point on my Beach. Been there since I got the vehicle and assume this is to stop a rattle. Worth a look but you will need to raise the roof to see it.
Long shot since you say its a high up noise but the seat base has been known to rattle. Worth trying it in a different position on the floor rails?
Thanks Owen,
A very interesting suggestion. I will take a look at the gas strut pivot points in the morning.
The problem with this noise is that it is extremely difficult to pin down. Sitting in the drivers seat whilst driving, this rattle sounds as if its coming from above the back door. My wife says that from the passenger seat, its coming from the rear O/S high up. When she has travelled in the back she has found it even more difficult to pin it down to a specific area. So the search continues.
I will play with the seat and see if it makes any difference.
Once again, many thanks.

Could you first noise be coming from the compartment where the jack is stored maybe it's needs tightening if loose it would be metal on metal, just a thought.

Could you first noise be coming from the compartment where the jack is stored maybe it's needs tightening if loose it would be metal on metal, just a thought.
Well I did have a quick look in there and everything did seem to be well fastened down. Perhaps I should removed everything and go for a spin.
I have been tinkering with the awning ths afternoon so I am hoping that was the problem. The search continues.
Thanks BeachyBird.

This is a very interesting thread - I have exactly this problem, the rattling noise is driving me nuts. So, it seems it could be one of two things:

1. the awning scissor mechanism knocking against the awning housing

2. The pivot point for the gas strut that raises the upstairs bed.

The rattle - or I would say continual tapping noise - has been a problem for several weeks now and I am desperate to get rid of it. Strange that so many Californias seem to suffer with it. I will check the adjustment mechanism tonight.

This is a very interesting thread - I have exactly this problem, the rattling noise is driving me nuts. So, it seems it could be one of two things:

1. the awning scissor mechanism knocking against the awning housing

2. The pivot point for the gas strut that raises the upstairs bed.

The rattle - or I would say continual tapping noise - has been a problem for several weeks now and I am desperate to get rid of it. Strange that so many Californias seem to suffer with it. I will check the adjustment mechanism tonight.

Be grateful for any feedback Martyn. It's driving me nuts too but I haven't had a chance to dive into it.

Could you please post a link to these adjustments? I may have same problem. Many thanks
Sorry Barry. Struggling to find the thread on my phone. I know that we adjusted the awning like you would adjust cupboard door hinges. Fighting or slacking the two bolt heads lift and lower the awning legs that could be hitting the awning casing which can cause the annoying rattle. It definitely solved @Rhyddin's rattle. Worth a little fiddle I reckon.

Possibly won't help Borris, but on a rattle roll:

- two cheap velcro straps around my closed-up awning

- added two small pieces of foam pipe lagging to the bike rack where the flipped-up bit meets at the top rail

- I've read that the blanking plugs in the plastic panel at the bottom of the windscreen (outside, front) can rattle too without a dab of silicone or similar, I think they're there for RHD / LHD wiper placement using same panel

Reactions: abe
Back