• Start date
Pure Worktop Protection

Pure Worktop Protection

VIP Member
Trade Advertiser
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
My 6 month old Ocean with factory fitted awning has started an annoying rattle whilst on the move. I have rolled it in and out but still annoyingly rattles away.
Anyone else had this issue or have a resolution?

Thanks HC - good information.

My 6 month old Ocean with factory fitted awning has started an annoying rattle whilst on the move. I have rolled it in and out but still annoyingly rattles away.
Anyone else had this issue or have a resolution?

Yes, I've also had this issue. Tried every suggestion on the forum without success, so made a list of the unsuccessful efforts and went back to the dealer. After a quick check and a road test, was offered and accepted a new awning. No problems since.

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While this subject is current again, can anyone point me towards a fix for an rattling awning that seems to not click (or stay clicked) into place at the front (driver end).
All seems good on packing up camp, but after a few miles of driving, it comes unwound ever so slightly (3 or 4mm). Doesn't get any worse, but rattles and I'm a bit worried it could worsen over time (at 70mph).

While this subject is current again, can anyone point me towards a fix for an rattling awning that seems to not click (or stay clicked) into place at the front (driver end).
All seems good on packing up camp, but after a few miles of driving, it comes unwound ever so slightly (3 or 4mm). Doesn't get any worse, but rattles and I'm a bit worried it could worsen over time (at 70mph).
I presume this is the original awning ?

Possibly the nylon/plastic gears have lost 1 or 2 teeth over the past 7 years.

Quick Fix - A small loop of elastic bungee cord around the front of the cassette.

Proper Fix - Remove Awning Gear Box and check ? replace.

I have a cheap velcro strap around either end of my cassette, seems to be asking for trouble letting it bounce around untethered & out there in the wind travelling at a mile-and-a-half a minute.

They're called hook & loop straps on eBay.

I had a rattle that turned out to be where the folded arms sit in the holder. One of the square foam pads wasn't in the right place so it was rattling against the holder, pulled the pad off & moved over a little & the noise is gone.

IMG_5001.JPG All sorted - replaced the tiny adhesive pads with a large strip of self adhesive neoprene.
Found it still rattled and noticed that if you unwind a few inches and fold back the housing there is a groove that looks like it should have a gasket in it. Just fitted a neoprene gasket and all quiet now.

Just an update on this. With a couple of awning 'retractions' this weekend, it seems that my problem is that the front of the awning doesn't quite complete its rewind at the front end when I pack up, rather than it coming loose on driving. On investigation my issue seems to be caused by the awning being fractionally 'longer' (I'll come back to this *) at the front end than the rear..... With the result that the front end hasn't completely wound in by the time the rear has done, and therefore only clicks into place at the rear.
So, as a test, I placed 2 sheets of loo roll (!) into the roller at the front when I had about 1m to wind in. This fractionally increased the diameter (and circumference) of the last few rolls and hey presto, both sides completed their wind-in at the same point and clicked into place properly. (an initial test with 3 sheets reversed the problem, so I knew I was onto something!).
I plan to replace the loo roll with a small piece of waterproof tape to achieve the same goal.

(* I've not measured both sides as it's only fractionally different, but I'm confident that was the problem. Probably caused by stretching rather than faulty Germanic manufacturing).

View attachment 23550 All sorted - replaced the tiny adhesive pads with a large strip of self adhesive neoprene.
Found it still rattled and noticed that if you unwind a few inches and fold back the housing there is a groove that looks like it should have a gasket in it. Just fitted a neoprene gasket and all quiet now.
That groove is for a kador strip when attaching an awning or for a front panel when using the wind out awning.

I had a rattle that turned out to be where the folded arms sit in the holder. One of the square foam pads wasn't in the right place so it was rattling against the holder, pulled the pad off & moved over a little & the noise is gone.

I had same issue, as this.