Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

re map or not?

daisyduke

daisyduke

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
is this a total no no?

i have a 140 and rationale was engines last longer ( research and many people told me) so went for this model on that basis. Been driving a T4 TDI 2.5 intercooler for 8 yrs which has a much more nip about it......i love just cruising in the cali and not in a rush to get anywhere mind set but been a few times in busy traffic or over taking and needed a little more 'omphhh' as it were. hence why even asking the question.....anyone else had their remapped? is it worth it for performance? TIA

Was your T4 a rare 150hp? Otherwise you are looking at 102hp which I thought would feel slow vs a 140hp Cali
(or are we comparing a empty tin 'van' T4 to an SE T5?)

I personally wouldn't touch a van that has been tuned, but many think differently from me. I'm a bit old school, believing that $billions of VW's R&D staff probably know more about their engines than a bloke with a lap-top. But the topic raises strong opinions!

Was your T4 a rare 150hp? Otherwise you are looking at 102hp which I thought would feel slow vs a 140hp Cali
(or are we comparing a empty tin 'van' T4 to an SE T5?)

I personally wouldn't touch a van that has been tuned, but many think differently from me. I'm a bit old school, believing that $billions of VW's R&D staff probably know more about their engines than a bloke with a lap-top. But the topic raises strong opinions!
It is a personal preference but I am with T4WFA on this. Years ago in "Alf Francis – Racing Mechanic" Stirling Moss' mechanic wrote to the effect that 95% of tuning a racing engine was not polishing the exhaust ducts but rather setting the spark plug gaps to the manufacturers specification. It has become an article of faith with me.

thanks- i am reluctant to tamper with whats there but you're right the lack of ommpphhh at times is due to load. done 2,000 miles in a month so a fair amount of driving around the UK, just been a few times would have been nice to know had a little more there when needed it....... then should have gone to 180! :) i hear you say ...... thanks for comments

We chipped our 140 Yeti and it''s done about 32k miles since without any problems. We don't thrash it around but it's nice to have that extra bit of oomph for overtaking and getting up hills. Tuning engines this way is now so common that it's unlikley to be a problem otherwise it wouln't be done on the scale it is. The main thing is to get it done by someone with a good reputation as undoubtedly there are some cowboys out there. It's too easy to turn the boost up without attending to other things as well.

Overall stage tuning is a good thing. But even the most minor of map tweaks requires an exhaust modification, a performance panel filter and maybe a little more depending on model. And all have tried and tested results mainly from a rolling road tweaked to each individual car. However I'm not a fan of these tuning boxes that simply override the fuel and pressure sensors, very generic and very variable results.
In short I would stick to the original, if you want to go fast you wouldn't have bought one. I find mine plenty powerful, its not 400bhp but it sleeps 4 :)

A remap usually only maps to an existing map from the manufacturers stock range.

Example. Golf. 110 will map to existing 140. 140 will map to 170 or whatever the numbers are.

I've been running a 140 mapped to186 for 65k miles without problem.

These VW motors are indestructible.

Back