Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear door suspension

bernie

bernie

Just been to France. It was hot. For some reason, the hydraulic/pneumatic suspension that holds the back door open is not working. It will not stay open on its own. Any ideas please?

Do as the frog in your avatar , relax ....this is standard on the Cali.
When it is cold it is hard to pull down the tailgate , when hot it goes bettter sometimes (like when a bike rack is mounted) it won't stay up.

Been discussed sevral times in sevral treads with sevral so called solutions , i just leave things like it is ....

Just been to France. It was hot. For some reason, the hydraulic/pneumatic suspension that holds the back door open is not working. It will not stay open on its own. Any ideas please?
What vehicle, year etc: I'm afraid my Crystal Ball is not working so I'm unable to help.:Iamsorry

Please post some details. We are only human and certainly not clairvoyant.

Vehicle, year, tailgate bike rack?:thumb

Thx. It's a 2005 T5 California. No bike rack. Over the years the resistance in the arms has changed with weather but even back in the UK at moderate temperatures, it has zero resistance now

Thx. It's a 2005 T5 California. No bike rack. Over the years the resistance in the arms has changed with weather but even back in the UK at moderate temperatures, it has zero resistance now
After 12 years, very likely that one or both gas struts have lost pressure. Probably time for a change.
Not a difficult job to do. Usual VW markup on replacement Gas Struts or from here - well recommended.
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-...r/version/t5?gclid=CIjm9IPS6NQCFWko0wodt_YJBw

I would also say 12y could just be the struds are weared and needs replacement .
Guess they done the job thousend times....keeping the tailgate fully up.

Just come back from 4 weeks in France, mainly around Nime, Carpentas. Temp well into the 40's, I struggled to get my tailgate down.

Thanks Welsh gas for the link to SGS. Done now. Much cheaper than VW struts. Be sure to specify they need gassing to a pressure of about 1350 or 1400 Newtons