Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Headrest Removal

I pulled the backrest cover over headrests first, the material is quite stretchy, then proceeded to finish the fit of the seat cover. Have you gotten the correct set for your Cali, it should be straightforward.
You’ve got me wondering now! Ordered the sets for ‘16 California with the club shop; I’ll look out the order.

I have tried to remove the rear head rests but no success so far even following the excellent instructions on the forum. I am a bit reluctant to break off too many tabs on the plastic side covers in case they wont fit back in. I have broken one off and the cover is still fixed at the top so will not swing out the way. And where exactly are the pins mentioned? I have looked with an inspection mirror but cannot see where they are? The pics on here do not show them very clearly. Same reason as everyone for wanting to remove.They just get in the bloody way and my two folding bikes would fit in better without them!
Advice appreciated.

I have tried to remove the rear head rests but no success so far even following the excellent instructions on the forum. I am a bit reluctant to break off too many tabs on the plastic side covers in case they wont fit back in. I have broken one off and the cover is still fixed at the top so will not swing out the way. And where exactly are the pins mentioned? I have looked with an inspection mirror but cannot see where they are? The pics on here do not show them very clearly. Same reason as everyone for wanting to remove.They just get in the bloody way and my two folding bikes would fit in better without them!
Advice appreciated.
Just type in the search rear headrest removal, I took mine off on Sunday & left a details on how I done it. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Brownbettyman - I did a search but just came up with the usual suspects - cant see your report anywhere?

Has anyone got any photos of the tabs which need to be cut off? The images on the French forum mentioned earlier, and their re-posted versions in this thread, have all gone to internet heaven. Search says lots about cutting something off, but I'm not clear exactly what or where. Thanks!

For the benefit of anyone else in the future, here's a close-up of the plastic side panel. You can lever out the top (i.e. the bit at the top when the headrest is upright) without breaking or cutting anything; it's a very light friction fit. The issue is the two tabs at the very bottom, which you can't pull out far enough to clear the main metal body. The one in the photo below looks like a pin rather than a tab, simply because it's end-on to the camera. So those are the two tabs (one front, one rear) which you need to cut off, and then the whole plastic end cap is free to rotate around the end nearest the seat. You can rotate it out of the way to access the C pins which hold the headrest in place, as described earlier in this thread and elsewhere.
IMG_0485.jpg

Not sure what lead you to that conclusion? I didn’t know the answer; I posted asking for photos; I went out to the van and worked it out; I took pictures; I posted for the benefit of others in future.

Back