Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Heater running cold California 2009

Jimijango2020

Jimijango2020

VIP Member
Hi all, we have a 2009 California with the standard rear heater (operated from the button on the dash and above the rear window controls) and all I can get out of it is cold air. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it a fuse or something more technical. Just to add this is not the Auxiliary Parking heater, that works fine.

Cheers Jim

It will only blow hot when the engine is at working temperature. Otherwise it could be an airlock or the valve not operating properly allowing hot water to the rear unit.

Thanks for the info, I'll try later though pretty sure when I ran it the engine was at running temp. If it is an airlock or valve is there a quick fix?

Can't help you with repair info I'm afraid.
The actual unit is behind the slotted cover on the right hand side where the rear shelf rest when you open the tailgate.

If all the controls are in the correct positions you could check if the pipes to the rear are hot.
If so then the fault must be in the unit.

I have that problem.

When I last investigated, the operating lever on the valve that lets the hot water flow had slipped past the stop and so didn't then operate when the dash switch was on. I took the trim cover off to discover this, and so was able to move the lever back and then all was well...until this weekend when it has happened again. Murphy's Law operating again!

Too cold now to have a play, but will investigate further to see if there is a screw that has worked loose, or extending the stop is a possibility.

Alan

When I last investigated, the operating lever on the valve that lets the hot water flow had slipped past the stop and so didn't then operate when the dash switch was on. I took the trim cover off to discover this, and so was able to move the lever back and then all was well...until this weekend when it has happened again. Murphy's Law operating again!

This was also the problem on mine. Tried resetting it but it quickly returned to a position beyond the stop and then (on mine) the whole unit appeared to be in 'fault mode' and would not operate at all.

I think it's just a badly designed part. I (carefully) disassembled my control valve and noticed that, besides the mechanical stop on the valve case, movement seems to be controlled electronically by a 120 degree (rheostatic?) switch. If there's a failure in this switch then the lever can easily go past the mechanical stop and then get jammed (and then presumably report an 'out of range' signal to the control unit, resulting in the fault mode).

The good news is that it's a very simple unit to replace (assuming that the attached white plastic control rod is undamaged). Locating a second-hand replacement is also easy (apparently used across the VAG model range and possibly by Porsche too, albeit with differing levers attached - but this can easily be swapped over). However, obviously you need to be aware that, although such a second-hand unit might look OK, it might have exactly the same problem! I took a chance and bought a newish second-hand one (after carefully studying the pictures) and I'm happy to report that the whole unit is now working perfectly again.

One thing I noticed on mine was, besides the VAG part number, there was the manufacturer's (Delphi) part number. My original unit was 52411483R05; the 'new' one was 52411483R06. I guess the R number refers to 'revision' and you can perhaps deduce that the manufacturer is aware of the design problem with the unit and has tried to rectify it, several times ...

I ordered a new actuator motor unit from Heritage, only to find it was wrong. The white control rod fouled on the casing of the fan because the actuator cam was 180º out.

Matt, the spares guy at Heritage, said he would order another one in to see if there was any difference. In fact he searched the VW parts system without the filter on for my VIN and found another unit with the same part number minus a A suffix. He ordered that too and this was the right version.
Easy to fit and works perfectly.

For reference, the VW part No for the flap actuator for my Cali (2010 T5.1) is;

W7E0 907 512 (without A suffix)
Not cheap at £88.92 +VAT

I compared the old one with the new one. The cam stop molding has been changed as has the cam.
I then pulled it apart. The plastic bearings in the little gearbox on my old one were worn and loose so this would have enabled the cam to slide over the stop and so become jammed. You may well be right that the 120º variable control resister could also play a part in the failure.

Alan

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I seem to have this issue on my van as the kids were complaining about cold air blasting at them. The controls all seem fine, but I just have cold air from the rear vents. Alan C, I don't suppose you are able to provide a few pointers on where I find the actuator unit and how easy it is to change?

Thanks
Chris

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I seem to have this issue on my van as the kids were complaining about cold air blasting at them. The controls all seem fine, but I just have cold air from the rear vents. Alan C, I don't suppose you are able to provide a few pointers on where I find the actuator unit and how easy it is to change?

Thanks
Chris
To tag AlanC, you need to type an "at symbol" before his name such as - @AlanC . This will trigger a notification to the named user and they can then reply to this thread. :thumb

Thanks
Chris
Open the tailgate. On the R side is the rear unit, behind the R side trim panel. Ease out the grilled section.

Sorry please ignore, just come across this thread where you have already covered it:

Many thanks!

@AlanC Are you able to help with this?

Cheers
Chris
Hi sorry haven't been on the site for a day or so.

As @Welsh Gas ahs said the actuator is behind the trim on the right-hand side of the van behind the rear seat.

When you get this off you will see the fan housing and a white rod on the left side. If you get someone to turn the rear heater on and off you will see the rod move. On some older vans, this can become locked in the wrong position. You can try resetting the actuator, but it will more than likely flip back to the wrong position.

I had to buy a replacement actuator motor from VW. This is an updated version and now does not become misplaced. One word of warning, my dealer in Bristol ordered the wrong one although the part number was right. The Parts Department dug deeper and ordered the right one with a suffix letter.

It is not a difficult job and the actuator and motor are easily accessible.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Back