Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear left panel part

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
After damaging the lower rear part with stupid original VW jack pondering if it is worth fixing asap.
Dealer says that they have to replace whole left rear panel to fix that small damage.
Does VW really not use a separate part that most lower part of the body?

I might simply duct it pretty good for now. And replace the whole part in future.
hZk-UWs6v9YWQ6OJx08_ORHOBbf3oNr1Mswe-cbf5378TkYkpogI9Q2I1Ygchc0PKryQZpKO4jetZdSvB1VO_84SwjwbZDCNh18pb6LS8oXLE0x3lQe5OCqu4bvtAvBXb-m7ocNqaM8XaxnK-IxMPFujQnEMV2YteqKuzzJRuqjzzZbtOT0aWMyW0gszJs-bbovrW6PVw-dryHLnt-oXVwmGqHeuQs-m-k335o9Z0ZPk57PgJ5i6yd5JjoY8yeicnyH4jHbHvUoDs_W6VHrhpbggxb-hwayALY2FiT0ZzBkIl3iXJjXhWYb6ZTnEGnapHCBkOVBDAQqh3pqkDuIHG-RMJGT2U-T-ANhnpusauGBw6OMeHzQPNc99xMpchzyRucWuNV25Kbx2d5dW-M5IZFdlUZHL-CBq7YC7TpNTye1C6r6e4yKVrwn0vwp069gYp9ODgiKc6_QTmfd6c4mfRH-KGmSe9g_Q0BI3LoYsjLryuI7tM712BIj9WHsR3ULiXO2TEvGO4Byz3lZydeay4jaJJffODZzyzVT0gMbgcrz2Frybf59mhyfNDfMX0vpF-QUAiWihBg2mn2q2zuygIA8ucPjLGC2cY8tWPj3xH50=w512-no

No good news...
Can you explain more on how this happend....?
Might help others to prevent having thesame .

How annoying for you. Hope fixing is not a big issue …

No good news...
Can you explain more on how this happend....?
Might help others to prevent having thesame .
SImple. Throw away original jack and tyre wrench. Get a proper hydraulic jack. Which is cheap and reliable.
On a perfect concrete surface, it can work but under the rain in the twilight, a disaster waiting to happen.

When our rear of our van was damaged the body shop (VW) said that they did not replace the skin of the rear door they replace the whole door getting a VW original part with rust treatment to original panels to the same as level of the original build thus ensuring the warranty was not effected.
I have often wondered how good (or not) the standard jack supplied with the van would be, the only flats I have had I was able to pump up and get to a local tyre centre.

It looks like you´ve missed the jacking point.
Is the jack not meant to slot in under the black ridge ?
Or did it manage to move whilst you were lifting it ?

think it tells you here how it happened.

I was that far allready ...but wanted more details .
Seems he is too upset to go in to details witch i understand .
Having used the original jack many times at home in perfect surcomstances i just wanted more info....

The topic is about the body part for replacement. Thank you.

A bit selfisch ain't ....i just asked for more details on how it went wrong with the jack , rain and in the dark you say ....ok so i rest my case , we all feel sorry this happend to you and if i had a answer on how to fix your dent i gave it to you , but i have no experience with such a thing as i never had the need for a repair like that.
As far as i know noboby ever showed a dent like that in that place on this forum .
Good luck with the fix and the search of a hydrolic jack to replace the original one.

I see.
Yes, i´m sure that it´s all one big massive panel.
I would try and find an old school panel beater and see if he
could cut a new piece in. Otherwise could be a whole new
side of the van.

I see.
side of the van.
Like a classic car restorer.

As you have a T6 what happens to the rust warranty if a bodged repair? That would be my main concern - so maybe the whole panel repair might be required.

I see.
side of the van.

I agree. Personally I would sooner have a piece cut in and injected with Waxoyl or similar than have the whole panel taken off. Looking at the picture it appears the main damage is to the sill section not the panel.
When we had damage to the drivers door and sill on our previous Cali our local guy did a superb job. Using new VW parts he cut out the damaged sill, welded in new bit from the new one. All sealed up inside and out. New door panel which is a completely different job to replacing a main body panel. Completely indistinguisable from original.
Heartbreaking I know but sortable.

Good luck with the fix and the search of a hydrolic jack to replace the original one.
They are sold like everywhere. Just important to get one under 19cm minimum height.
Already got one and it takes so small space and works like a charm.

Wonder if that part is same as for T5, Insurance doesn't want to cover it by default,
so might buy the panel and get it replaced with the dealer.
They gave me the price 2k euros for the panel alone which I think is kinda nonsense.

Wonder if that part is same as for T5, Insurance doesn't want to cover it by default,
so might buy the panel and get it replaced with the dealer.
They gave me the price 2k euros for the panel alone which I think is kinda nonsense.

Sorry to hear about this- don’t beat yourself up about it too much, we’re all human and stuff like this just happens. I would perhaps push your insurance Co. a bit more on it, it IS accidental damage after all. Let them deal with it and even if your premiums went up €500 a year for the next 4 years, you’re still no worse off (?). Once it’s repaired it will be in the past as you won’t have to look at it. You won’t be worrying about rust or warranties either. You’ll just be enjoying your Cali which is as it should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How dreadful!

I agree with @s2bear. Try to get your insurance the take it. And get I made properly by VW, so you don't have to think more about it anymore - move on. I just made a scratch in our new awning - the same day it was replaced by the dealer - because they made a scratch in that one. I felt so ridiculous bad all day ;-)

That's exactly what I am trying to do. I have like 7 contracts with my insurance company: 2 vehicles full insurance, 2apartments, travel insurances etc. But they said they can't cover it by default agreement as it says any damage caused "during repairs" is not covered.
I've explained the situation to a manager that these weren't really repairs but a flat tyre accident in the middle of nowhere in Lapland when VW assistance didn't even respond. And original tools supplied simply failed to do the job in such conditions.
They are looking into it as a custom case.
If they reject, they will lose tons of annual pays as I will move all the contracts to other insurance company.
I am all prepared they will deny the case though. I will simply repair it from saving money on some canceled insurances. I am paying like 700euros for a 2nd vehicles that stays in a garage and I don't even drive it much.

All these extra insurances are not really worth it from my observation.
If you feel comfortable about getting a bigger payment on an accident yourself it is wiser in the long run.
You pay them regular smaller amounts that are higher in total in the end.
Cases when you are getting more from insurance than paying them are extremely rare.

Funny thing I can still repair it at their cost by simply accidentally hitting a curb in the same spot and reporting it as a proper accident. They probably understand that too. :D

Funny thing I can still repair it at their cost by simply accidentally hitting a curb in the same spot and reporting it as a proper accident. They probably understand that too. :D
Might be a bit tricky seeing that you´ve already informed them of damage.

:rageI suffered the same damage but to the n/s/f jacking point whilst interchanging wheels. Jacked up vehicle and placed axle stands under.
Wheels were seized onto hubs so trying to get them off must have moved the vehicle on stand causing a ripples in sill around jacking point .
Took to VW bodyshop who said they see it regularly and estimated £1800 but could end up more depending on type of repairs needed .
Moral of this saga is to get VW assistance to remove the wheel if you suffer a puncture.
Total cost of repairs in the end just under £3000.
So much for getting maximum miles from a set of tyres.

I might simply duct it pretty good for now. And replace the whole part in future.
hZk-UWs6v9YWQ6OJx08_ORHOBbf3oNr1Mswe-cbf5378TkYkpogI9Q2I1Ygchc0PKryQZpKO4jetZdSvB1VO_84SwjwbZDCNh18pb6LS8oXLE0x3lQe5OCqu4bvtAvBXb-m7ocNqaM8XaxnK-IxMPFujQnEMV2YteqKuzzJRuqjzzZbtOT0aWMyW0gszJs-bbovrW6PVw-dryHLnt-oXVwmGqHeuQs-m-k335o9Z0ZPk57PgJ5i6yd5JjoY8yeicnyH4jHbHvUoDs_W6VHrhpbggxb-hwayALY2FiT0ZzBkIl3iXJjXhWYb6ZTnEGnapHCBkOVBDAQqh3pqkDuIHG-RMJGT2U-T-ANhnpusauGBw6OMeHzQPNc99xMpchzyRucWuNV25Kbx2d5dW-M5IZFdlUZHL-CBq7YC7TpNTye1C6r6e4yKVrwn0vwp069gYp9ODgiKc6_QTmfd6c4mfRH-KGmSe9g_Q0BI3LoYsjLryuI7tM712BIj9WHsR3ULiXO2TEvGO4Byz3lZydeay4jaJJffODZzyzVT0gMbgcrz2Frybf59mhyfNDfMX0vpF-QUAiWihBg2mn2q2zuygIA8ucPjLGC2cY8tWPj3xH50=w512-no
OK, probably won't go down well, but seeing as the cost is significant for the replacement of the panel, as everything is still sealed and structurally sound could you not get a good repair shop to do a cosmetic repair using external filler and some elbow grease. From your other posts you don't plan on using the VW Jack again so any repair just needs to be cosmetic rather than functional.
If in future it needs to be replaced and a replacement panel repair done then so be it. However, it might outlast your ownership, and shouldn't cost € 2000 for parts.

Back