Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear number plate lights illuminate at low level when vehicle parked and rear door operated

Thepiper

Thepiper

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I notice a strange behaviour with the rear number plate lights and wonder if it is only my Cali that does this. I have a March 2017 Ocean, Auto.

When the Cali is parked up and ignition off, when I open the tailgate there is a very faint glow to the number plate lights, as if a small current is managing to get through to the them. Even when the car is locked, when you attempt to open the tailgate the number plate lights illuminate at a very low level.

Anyone else experienced this? Is there an electrical short circuit somewhere possibly causing this?

I notice a strange behaviour with the rear number plate lights and wonder if it is only my Cali that does this. I have a March 2017 Ocean, Auto.

When the Cali is parked up and ignition off, when I open the tailgate there is a very faint glow to the number plate lights, as if a small current is managing to get through to the them. Even when the car is locked, when you attempt to open the tailgate the number plate lights illuminate at a very low level.

Anyone else experienced this? Is there an electrical short circuit somewhere possibly causing this?
Do you have lights in the Tailgate that switch on when the tailgate is opened?

Funnily enough I noticed this on mine at the weekend and was going to put the same post up this week.
I think they come on if the internal lights are on? Just checked now and they are off. All van systems are off.
I’m glad I’m not the only one!

Funnily enough I noticed this on mine at the weekend and was going to put the same post up this week.
I think they come on if the internal lights are on? Just checked now and they are off. All van systems are off.
I’m glad I’m not the only one!
This happens regardless of the status of the internal lights. I checked this evening and all lights were off, the van was locked and the number plate lights were also completely off, but when I tried to open the tailgate (which of course it wont because it is locked) it causes the number plate lights to glow at a low level. It seems that when the tailgate is open (which is when the tailgate lights are directly in front of you) then the number plate lights glow. i.e. I think it is connected with the operation of the handle to open the tailgate and also when the tailgate is fully open, all regardless of what is happening inside the Cali. Are these the same symptoms you have?

May be a design feature to help you see where the handle is?

Have you changed the tungsten bulbs for LED versions?
Some cheaper LED bulbs illuminate when the vehicle computer interrogates them. Usually flashes though.
This happens even when the vehicle is locked and the key is in your pocket.

Alan

May be a design feature to help you see where the handle is?

Have you changed the tungsten bulbs for LED versions?
Some cheaper LED bulbs illuminate when the vehicle computer interrogates them. Usually flashes though.
This happens even when the vehicle is locked and the key is in your pocket.

Alan
I'm talking about the number plate illumination lights. Not changed anyhting and its been doing it since new, just took me a while to post about it...

This happens regardless of the status of the internal lights. I checked this evening and all lights were off, the van was locked and the number plate lights were also completely off, but when I tried to open the tailgate (which of course it wont because it is locked) it causes the number plate lights to glow at a low level. It seems that when the tailgate is open (which is when the tailgate lights are directly in front of you) then the number plate lights glow. i.e. I think it is connected with the operation of the handle to open the tailgate and also when the tailgate is fully open, all regardless of what is happening inside the Cali. Are these the same symptoms you have?
Yes the same symptoms. However the lights were on when the tailgate was shut as well.
@AlanC the lights in the tailgate to illuminate the reg plate are LED on mine. Unsure about you @Thepiper ?
The light is really really dim. It doesn’t even light up the plate or handle at all!

Yes the same symptoms. However the lights were on when the tailgate was shut as well.
@AlanC the lights in the tailgate to illuminate the reg plate are LED on mine. Unsure about you @Thepiper ?
The light is really really dim. It doesn’t even light up the plate or handle at all!
Yes, I think the lights are LEDs and they are very dim, but noticeable all the same.

Snip

I was referring to retro fit LED bulbs which I have had problems with in the past. I was unaware that the T6 Calis have LED number plate bulbs fitted from new. So the computer error can not be the issue in this case.

Sorry, not much help.

Alan

Just observed when on holiday that our 2017 150 Auto Ocean does this too - only really noticeable at night. Was concerned at first that it may cause a low level drain on the battery when the vehicle is just standing, but confirmed by experimentation that that the lights do go off again completely some time after the vehicle has remained closed for a while. Has anyone queried this with a VW dealer? My inclination is not to worry about it, but it does seem strange and I can't really think of any logical reason for it occurring.

its still an unknown...although we have a @vwguru who may be able to help out

It might be a normal thing?

ANYBODY ELSE having same thing?!
Yes, only just noticed this a week ago while camping and sitting out in the evening. The LED (standard fitment) number plate lights give off a very faint glow, happens whether the vehicle is locked or not; never noticed before - vehicle is Oct 2017

Edit
Checking tonight, when the vehicles is locked no number plate light on, just pressing the tailgate release (without unlocking so won't open) the lights come on for a few second only, although very faint; so not worried as lights are off when locked. Although they were lit when side door was open when camping !!

Last edited:
I noticed this on my MY17 Ocean, haven't noticed it so far on my MY18 Ocean I will check back

Looked at mine tonight and it also does. !!