Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear seat seatbelt problem on T6 Beach bench

E

Eamonn

Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hi,

One of my motivations for buying my T6 Beach is the ability to recline the rear-seat. We do a lot of long journeys with kids, so being able to recline the seat at a bit of an agile offers some chance of getting to sleep!

We tried this on our first long journey and found that, whilst reclined, once on the move, the seat belts would lock in position. This makes it impossible to move once the seat belt tensioner has tightened. This only happens in the reclined position, not in the upright position.

I’ve searched the web and this forum, but haven’t found anything. Wondering if others have had the same issue, and if so, how to prevent it?

Many thanks!

Hi,

One of my motivations for buying my T6 Beach is the ability to recline the rear-seat. We do a lot of long journeys with kids, so being able to recline the seat at a bit of an agile offers some chance of getting to sleep!

We tried this on our first long journey and found that, whilst reclined, once on the move, the seat belts would lock in position. This makes it impossible to move once the seat belt tensioner has tightened. This only happens in the reclined position, not in the upright position.

I’ve searched the web and this forum, but haven’t found anything. Wondering if others have had the same issue, and if so, how to prevent it?

Many thanks!
Very dangerous to travel with an inclined seat and slack seat belt. Very easy to “submarine” forward under the belt on severe braking.
Maybe that is why VW have the seat belt tensioned if attempting to move with the rear seat partially reclined.

Very dangerous to travel with an inclined seat and slack seat belt. Very easy to “submarine” forward under the belt on severe braking.
Maybe that is why VW have the seat belt tensioned if attempting to move with the rear seat partially reclined.
Completely agree.
The auto tension relies on the seat belt being 'pulled' when a sudden movement is made. With the seat reclined the human body would tend to slide through the belt resulting in no sudden belt movement with no lock up action thus giving no restraint. Consequences could be lethal.

As an infant in 1960s Germany I was left to sleep (or bawl) on the rear parcel shelf of the family car, often on quite long journeys.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

As an infant in 1960s Germany I was left to sleep (or bawl) on the rear parcel shelf of the family car, often on quite long journeys.

Used to do the same. But the Law On Seat Belt usage was introduced

Was the norm for whole families to be wiped out in major accidents back in those pre safety awareness times.

Thought nothing of driving about at 85+ mph on single carriageways with no seat belts even fitted.

The phrase 'Duty of care to others' has now taken over my attitude towards safety.

Was the norm for whole families to be wiped out in major accidents back in those pre safety awareness times.

Thought nothing of driving about at 85+ mph on single carriageways with no seat belts even fitted.

The phrase 'Duty of care to others' has now taken over my attitude towards safety.

In 1966 (the year I was born) there were nearly 8000 road deaths in the UK compared with under 1800 in 2016, with ever more cars on the road. Something is being done correctly for drivers and their passengers.

Alas, I fear that the threat to other road users, such as pedestrians, from motor vehicle drivers has not been taken as seriously by Government or vehicle manufacturers.

Law of Unintended Consequence.
Now there is a shortage of Organ Donors and hence the Law of Presumed Consent.

Funny old world we live in.

I am puzzled by this.
When my wife travels with the grand children in the back, I always set the seat back one notch back from upright as it is more comfortable on journeys. The seat belts work perfectly.

As you can set the rake of the back of the rear seat on an SE/Ocean at a slight angle, about 3/4 degrees off vertical, very similar to the angle a fixed rear seat in a car has, I can't see why anyone would submarine under the belt in the event of a accident.

If you are saying the rear seat back has been set to horizontal for the children to sleep, then yes that would be an issue.

If this is a problem or road legal issue, why would VW make the seat back rake adjustable?

Alan

I am guessing you have a 2 seat beach rather than 3? I don't think the 3 seat can be adjusted at all? I tend to agree , if the seat can make the adjustment I would assume it has been tested as such, including crash tests.

Maybe its worth asking VW customer services for a statement?

I am guessing you have a 2 seat beach rather than 3? I don't think the 3 seat can be adjusted at all? I tend to agree , if the seat can make the adjustment I would assume it has been tested as such, including crash tests.

Maybe its worth asking VW customer services for a statement?
You are right Matt, this may be a SE/Ocean/Beach difference issue.

In the SE it is possible to adjust the rake of the rear 2 seat back by 3 positions. I am guessing the same applies to the Ocean, but presumably not the Beach?

Alan

In the SE it is possible to adjust the rake of the rear 2 seat back by 3 positions. I am guessing the same applies to the Ocean, but presumably not the Beach?

Alan

I think the 2 seat beach has a rear seat close to or the same as the Se/Ocean. The 3 seat as far as I’ve found has a fixed setting but I may need to read the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just a thought, those little rubber stops on the front edge of the rear metal shelf are, i. prone to falling out easily and ii. meant to stop the bench seat from being back too tight against the shelf which can bind the seat belts. This applies to SE/ Ocean but try moving the bench seat forward one click to be sure.
only an idea ............

Alan
Fyi the rear seat of the 3 seater Beach is the same as the sliding Caravelle/Multivan seat. As are the two individual rear seats in the 7 seater set up Beach.

I note that the Original Poster has not been back to this thread since starting it. Not to respond to or answer the various questions asked to clarify the problem.

Thanks all for your comments. My beach has the 3-seater bench, and it's obviously designed to offer the reclined position as an alternative to the upright.
Although I spent many happy hours horizontal in the back of my parent's camper, I'm certainly not trying to replicate that with my kids! :)

I'm not convinced that this is intentionally designed to prevent submarining. You can recline the rear seats in a LWB 7-series, S-class or A8 without being entrapped by the seatbelt. Why would VW deem it a risk?

Thanks all for your comments. My beach has the 3-seater bench, and it's obviously designed to offer the reclined position as an alternative to the upright.
Although I spent many happy hours horizontal in the back of my parent's camper, I'm certainly not trying to replicate that with my kids! :)

I'm not convinced that this is intentionally designed to prevent submarining. You can recline the rear seats in a LWB 7-series, S-class or A8 without being entrapped by the seatbelt. Why would VW deem it a risk?
It might be due to the fact that the Seat part is very horizontal in position whereas in the other vehicles it is on an upwards incline?

Back