Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear spoiler removal?

Kano

Kano

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Anyone with advice on a removal of a bonded and bolted rear spoiler? I know I might need some work to repair once it's been removed. If too much hassle, I may just leave it. Reason for asking is thinking of attaching a VW bike rack.

I was thinking of doing the same as my tow bar rack is too heavy for my wife to fit if I'm not there, spoke to a body shop about removing the spoiler, however a friend has just got a tailgate rack and says that his wife struggles to put the bikes on due to the height of the rack. Not sure what to do now as might pay for all the work and then need to buy very light bikes too !!!

I was thinking of doing the same as my tow bar rack is too heavy for my wife to fit if I'm not there, spoke to a body shop about removing the spoiler, however a friend has just got a tailgate rack and says that his wife struggles to put the bikes on due to the height of the rack. Not sure what to do now as might pay for all the work and then need to buy very light bikes too !!!
Think carefully. If your wife cannot fit the tow bar rack then lifting bikes up may be just as problematic.
1. Is there a lighter version of the tow rack?
2. Using a trolley or something to support the tow rack while fitting?

How many bikes is she going to be carrying when you're not there? Can they be carried inside?

Last edited:
I saw a nice towbar mounted rack at the East fleet meet, that may be a good solution without losing your spoiler.

If the holes VW cut in the boot lid from are anything like mine it will look horrendous when the spoiler is removed. I think they used a spoon to cut the holes. ( Not the only thing they cocked up).

If the holes VW cut in the boot lid from are anything like mine it will look horrendous when the spoiler is removed. I think they used a spoon to cut the holes. ( Not the only thing they cocked up).
The holes look okay. Was there much damage re body work or paint work and cost after you had the spoiler removed?

I didn't have the spoiler removed, VW Hatfeild made such a bad job, it came loose along with the bonding. I had to re-fix it along with the poorly fitted sportline front skirt. I love my California but I am not a modern VW fan.

Removed the spoiler today by undoing two bolts and carefully pushing against the spoiler. Had to scrape off the bonding (with an old credit card), not too much damage. Will take it to the body shop and fingers crossed it isn't too expensive.

Hi Chally2..

Once I cleaned up the glue, I had the body shop patch up the small holes where the bolts once were and then respray the rear tailgate.

I'm happy with the finish and now have a bike rack fitted, which was the reason for the removal

...and the spoiler is now on the back of Bobbybus. Ta. (Just glued, no bolts).

Back