Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear suspension

Bubba Gross

Bubba Gross

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, despite having the VW lowering springs fitted all round, the rear still feels a bit saggy and wallowy when fully loaded, I am thinking maybe an upgrade to the rear shocks would improve it.

Don't want to go down the whole coil over route so just looking at shocks

Anyone got any advise ? Should I do the fronts as well?

You could try some air assisters. We had them on our previous Cali and they certainly helped.
I've still got them somewhere buried in the shed if you're interested.

Hi Briwy, thanks for the offer, but my feeling right now, is that its less to do with the springs, they are already upgraded by being the lowered version, I'm thinking its the standard shock thats the problem, hence my question...

Anyone else got an opinion ?

Hello,
I've put Blistein B5 (original ride height) all round and it's a massive improuvement, if your Cali is lowered you should think B8...

Fitted the VB air suspension earlier this year on our 4 motion, so whatever height and load you might want is pretty much catered for.....

Bubba, are the springs just lowered or are they stiffer as well.
If they are just lowered without increasing the spring rate then it will very littel difference to the rol letc of the van.
I'm not sure fitting different shockers will help as all they do is stop the rebound from the springs.

We have also got the VB suspension which helps with the roll. This helps as it is constantly trying to retain whatever ride height its set at so is adjusting as you go round a corner and the van rolls. It also maintains the ride height regardless of the load in the van.

Has anyone tried these? On a standard height van

Pedders Suspension VW T5 Transporter Rear Suspension Kit
2 Heavy Duty Coil Springs & 2 Uprated Rear Dampers

Hello,
I've put Blistein B5 (original ride height) all round and it's a massive improuvement, if your Cali is lowered you should think B8...
Hi Mr franckyuccas. Bilstein b5; which model do you have them on? I have a 2011 4motion and wondered if they would be compatible. Where did you get them from and at what cost?

You could always try a pair of Sachs HD rear shocks...

http://www.skscarparts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=314 725

Pretty good value at £50 each, these are considerably beefed up compared to standard, the Sachs part no. 314 725 equates to VAG 7H0513029E which I believe is the uprated T32 rear shock so much more suitable for the Cali bulk.
The Sachs HD shocks are extremely popular and get top reviews for the T4 so may well worth a punt given the minimal outlay.
Putting the VW uprated rear ARB on will also help with the roll.

You could always try a pair of Sachs HD rear shocks...

http://www.skscarparts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=314 725

Pretty good value at £50 each, these are considerably beefed up compared to standard, the Sachs part no. 314 725 equates to VAG 7H0513029E which I believe is the uprated T32 rear shock so much more suitable for the Cali bulk.
The Sachs HD shocks are extremely popular and get top reviews for the T4 so may well worth a punt given the minimal outlay.
Putting the VW uprated rear ARB on will also help with the roll.

Hi, hmmm that seems a good find, thank you. How can I be sure they will fit my 2015 Cali, seems they only say they are compatible up to 2010 models ??

No difference for the facelift models, just a quirk on their website.
Here's the fitment list from the SACHS catalogue, Webcat (ZF.com)
(california based on multivan platform)

Back