Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear under seat drawer - won't open - seems to be stuck

P

petethebeat

Hi Everybody,
My rear under seat drawer won't open. The handle is pulling up as it should and the drawer on that side (nearest the fridge) is trying to open but the other end of the drawer (nearest the sliding door) won't budge. The drawer is empty and I have had my fingers underneath pulling as hard as I can but it won't open at all. I've had the seat base open as far as it will go and can't see anything obvious. Has anyone got a diagram of the catch mechanism or any ideas how to release the drawer please :mad::punch:punch:rage:mad: Thanks Pete

See this thread http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/under-seat-drawer-latching-mechanism-screw-loose.10574/ (click on the thumbnails for larger pictures).

This shows the fridge-side of the drawer. The latch at other end is similar but appears to be bonded (welded?) permanently to the rod that runs across the inside-front the drawer, which is rotated by the handle at the fridge-side.

You could try sliding something thin (a knife for example) into the gap above the latch to feel whether the latch plate is being rotated downwards. Check both ends.

Hi Everybody,
My rear under seat drawer won't open. The handle is pulling up as it should and the drawer on that side (nearest the fridge) is trying to open but the other end of the drawer (nearest the sliding door) won't budge. The drawer is empty and I have had my fingers underneath pulling as hard as I can but it won't open at all. I've had the seat base open as far as it will go and can't see anything obvious. Has anyone got a diagram of the catch mechanism or any ideas how to release the drawer please :mad::punch:punch:rage:mad: Thanks Pete
A little information as to what vehicle, year etc: would help in getting accurate information that could help you out.

Hi and welcome on your first post ,
Check if the seatbelt recivers are not pushed deep in the seat...they can be in the way....plug in the belt and pull them as far up as possible.

Like WG i was thinking the same , but was thinking he has a SE ....

Another tip if it is a SE , acces from the booth , take out the toolbox at the bottom/ back of the rear seat and you can look in the drawer from behind use a flashlight to check if things are in the way.

Last edited:
Thank very much for the rapid replies.......yes its a 2010 SE, I will have another looksee in the morning when its stops b****y raining. :thumb:thumb

is there carpet under the seat - I have had the draw stuck on carpet real hard pull on the carpet freed it (the carpet) then all ok

You could also try moving the whole seat forward then back . Then try the drawer again, especially if you don't have a carpet or mat.

Thanks for the diagram, no carpet there and the drawer is also empty, must be the lever bar not releasing for some reason?

Been moving the seat backwards and forwards as well

Have you kicked it in frustration yet and sworn at it? :shocked
Always works for me.... :mute

Yep, that is always the first thing to do - thank you

Yep, that is always the first thing to do - thank you

Hi again Hotel, seat belt receivers are clear, tried to look in via the rear flap but can't see too much, its as though the locking bar won't unlock itself from the opposite end to the handle, when I pull the handle up to open the drawer, the handle side unlocks as if to open but the other end stays firmly fix, I'm thinking........is it ok to cut the retaining straps on the seat base to open it right up so I can get access to the locking bar? Thanks Pete

Just been checking out in mine , the hook looks like this

image.jpeg

Try with a thin screwdriver (careful not damaging things)
Two man job one pulling handle and other try poking ....

image.jpeg

Are you sure you can't reach in from the booth ? There is a small gap in the rear part of the drawers back maybe big enouhg to fit a arm...

Last edited:
on the part base WG provided you can see part 14
Those plastic clips are pushed in from under the plastic front cover , if you poke them out i think the cover comes off....

Or just go to VW ....but thats even a bigger gamble...

I would try from in the booth ...

Thank you, excellent photos, I will have another poke around, cheers Pete

My drawer wouldn't open but by putting the seats down and getting into the space behind I got my arm into the drawer and using a torch to see disengaged the catch nearest the door. The problem is that the two catches left and right facing the drawer need to be pitched equally so they both open with the lever on RHS. The two catches are joined by a rod. What happens is that the two catches can become out of line and then only one disengages when the lever is pulled up. The reason for this seems to be that the right hand side catch is fixed on with an allen key tightened nut and that nut has loosened. When I loosened this nut further the Lhs catch (which is sprung.. see photo above) assumed a position at right angles to the other side. I am hoping that after a cup of tea and with the correct allen key I can tighten RHS enough to hold both in the correct position i.e. aligned with each other? It seems odd that this can be the only thing (friction) holding it in position though, ? Any advice before I proceed?

Last edited:
Check if the seatbelt recivers are not pushed deep in the seat...they can be in the way....plug in the belt and pull them as far up as possible.

Another tip if it is a SE , acces from the booth , take out the toolbox at the bottom/ back of the rear seat and you can look in the drawer from behind use a flashlight to check if things are in the way.
Can you access drawer contents that way?? Via removing toolbox?

@dayslikethis , with small hands you can reach in from behind yes , have a try ....

ALL. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I pulled the seat up as suggested and could see that I could get 6” access to draw. Pulled my clothes out then realised a bag hand caught in the mechanism. Now released and all working perfectly. A FANTASTIC FORUM RESULT. yet again.

@dayslikethis - replied on your other post in bed struck which may help.
Mods- the posts on bed stuck about struck draw might be better moved here

@dayslikethis - replied on your other post in bed struck which may help.
Mods- the posts on bed stuck about struck draw might be better moved here
Sorted. Thank you so much. I needed a change of clothes for the Ferry

I've just had this problem solved by you. Thank you

Back