Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear wheel arch and table scratches

A

ainsy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

I've got scratches on my wheel arch and table (see pics) from them both touching sometimes when the sliding door opens. It's a manual door but does seem to bounce on the rear hinge.

Is it possible to adjust anything so it doesn't bounce so much?

Thanks.

20200514_174209.jpg

20200514_174125.jpg

Hi, there are some adjustments you can make but I would let a dealer make them as I believe there is a TPI No. for this problem it is 2040818/3. Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Hi, there are some adjustments you can make but I would let a dealer make them as I believe there is a TPI No. for this problem it is 2040818/3. Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the details. I was hoping to avoid the dealer as it's a lot of hassle for me. I guess if I involved the dealer I could get the scratched paint and table fixed/replaced under warranty.

Thanks for the details. I was hoping to avoid the dealer as it's a lot of hassle for me. I guess if I involved the dealer I could get the scratched paint and table fixed/replaced under warranty.
Indeed, I can see your nearest dealer is almost 30 miles away so I can see the inconvenience. Ask for a courtesy car while they have yours?

Can I throw a fly in the ointment?

Having had the issue, numerous times, the damage in the photo appears to be caused by the table coming loose. The door card that the table fits into is slightly proud. This proud edge, not the table, catches the wheel arch during the opening cycle. To overcome the issue they adjust the door so it sits slightly out from the vehicle

Last edited:
Hi, I've got the same problem. I'm just getting ready to call VW and wanted know if you used the above TPI number with any success? Many thanks
Hi, I've got mine booked in next week. When I called the booking line I didn't use the TPI number but they mentioned it was a common issue.

I've managed to polish out most of my scratches now so hopefully I'll avoid a respray. This is only my sixth issues since buying new in November :rolleyes:

Can I throw a fly in the ointment?

Having had the issue, numerous times, the damage in the photo appears to be caused by the table coming loose. The door card that the table fits into is slightly proud. This proud edge, not the table, catches the wheel arch during the opening cycle. To overcome the issue they adjust the door so it sits slightly out from the vehicle
It's the bounce of the hinge at the end that causes the contact. I've checked and the wheel arch and table scratch match up perfectly.

The door card rubbing would be while it's still sliding open don't you think?

Mine never hit the table. It was adjusted numerous times over the course of a year to try and cure the issue, and parts replaced on an ad-hoc basis. In the end, it had all mechanical items in the door replaced and that fixed the issue. In all the clashes it never hit the table, it always caught the door card. I've seen the TPI relating to the door issue that I suffered and it was like a fingerprint..

To try and overcome the issue I was happy to have the door card modified to provide extra clearance.

Now there may be another TPI for the table hitting the wheel arch but one of the earliest conversations was questioning if I hadn't secured the table. (Hence the TPI look up and identicals abrasion on the wheel arch to the TPI)

VW found the TPI and adjusted my door so it no longer hits the table. BTW they showed me a 6.1 that did the same.

They've offered to respray but said they would need to do the whole rear panel. I've polished out most of the scratches in the clear coat but left with the small scratches in the pic. What's people's thoughts on leaving it vs a respray?

20200514_184338.jpg

Respray. Mine was done a few times. Rear quarter always looks wrong in certain lights but less so, I believe, in the darker colours. So compare now and afterwards!

Mine's Candy White. 5 different paint suppliers/options.

Looks right in some lights but look wrong in others. I have a good eye. I have checked others and all have similar traits and the only conclusion is the factory uncoating of the panel and or the recess for the door guide. Dragged VW over the coals but it is quite common.

I would get them to fix it if it were me.

Ultimately if the warranty costs them enough they will look stopping it at the factory hopefully. Sounds like the tape is a good way to ensuring the fixhas worked before repairing the paint.

Just picked up the van. They've made an adjustment and stuck tape over the wheel arch. By all accounts this is the VW process, as per VW guidance, to leave the tape in place for 2 weeks and see if the new door setting is a success. So in 2 weeks time I take the van back and if the tape is damaged they try again and if isn't damaged we have a chat about respraying. Interestingly I haven't read about this anywhere else, however it does seem logical.
I've got the tape on as well but they advised me it was just to double check they've done it correctly. It was my responsibility to check it.

Are you going for the respray? I still haven't decided as the damage isn't that bad on mine. They're going to order me a new table though as that has lots of scratches.

Interesting comments - guess what on my 2019 California my side door card catches the rear wheel arch, but only when grit and dirt washed out of wheel arch.
Went in to VW dealer (Robinsons Norwich) for adjustment in January, following this it was still catching so was booked in for three days - post lockdown taken in this week, few hours after they got it in they phoned to report that the rear wheel arch had been repainted (manufacturer spec max 130 microns, mine had max 271 microns). This repair was unknown to me, not declared, or noticed on purchase and the only previous owner was VW.
The rear wheel arch looks straight and as it should, no creases, lumps or bumps.
VW Robinsons advise they have adjusted as per manufactures directions, but now consider that as there has been a repair this is perhaps now the cause and why it still catches.
Somewhat worried at the prospect of having bought a very expensive pranged motor from a VW dealership I swiftly took it to an independent damage assessor and repairer - good news was that he assessed that the metal work of the arch is as it left the factory, and that the repair/respray was undertaken with wheel arch liner in place - most probably scratches to wheel arch from door card have been painted over.
There seems to be considerable play in trailing (rear) door arm/catch linkage when door in the open position - is this normal?
I am writing to both the VW dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle, and the VW ownership details as shown on the V5 asking for information on the repair (not holding my breath!)
VW Robinsons Norwich appear to be using the respray as a 'get out of jail card' not to have to resolve the problem.
Any ideas please?

So you think that 140 microns = 0.141 millimeter will cause the table to scratch the wheel arch?

It needs at least 1cm or more to pass.
Don't know how much space there is on my van, but it is more than 0.141 mm.

Interesting comments - guess what on my 2019 California my side door card catches the rear wheel arch, but only when grit and dirt washed out of wheel arch.
Went in to VW dealer (Robinsons Norwich) for adjustment in January, following this it was still catching so was booked in for three days - post lockdown taken in this week, few hours after they got it in they phoned to report that the rear wheel arch had been repainted (manufacturer spec max 130 microns, mine had max 271 microns). This repair was unknown to me, not declared, or noticed on purchase and the only previous owner was VW.
The rear wheel arch looks straight and as it should, no creases, lumps or bumps.
VW Robinsons advise they have adjusted as per manufactures directions, but now consider that as there has been a repair this is perhaps now the cause and why it still catches.
Somewhat worried at the prospect of having bought a very expensive pranged motor from a VW dealership I swiftly took it to an independent damage assessor and repairer - good news was that he assessed that the metal work of the arch is as it left the factory, and that the repair/respray was undertaken with wheel arch liner in place - most probably scratches to wheel arch from door card have been painted over.
There seems to be considerable play in trailing (rear) door arm/catch linkage when door in the open position - is this normal?
I am writing to both the VW dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle, and the VW ownership details as shown on the V5 asking for information on the repair (not holding my breath!)
VW Robinsons Norwich appear to be using the respray as a 'get out of jail card' not to have to resolve the problem.
Any ideas please?

Hi jjpoppy,

The microns difference is nonsense. When I had mine fixed a couple of weeks ago the dealer gave me a demonstration of how much adjustment can be done.

He stuck a few millimetres of blue tack on the wheel arch of a Cali 6.1 and opened the door and it flattened the blue tack to the arch (no clearance at all). He then did the same on my adjusted door and it didn't touch the blue tack.

My issue was it touching the table not the door card though. I've read articles of the door card not being clipped in correctly which could cause the problem.

I was also concerned about the play in the door arm/hinge. This seems normal looking at other vans.

I just need to still decide if to have the whole rear panel resprayed. My dealer advised not to as the scratches are minimal. I've got a new table ready to be picked up as this had lots of scratches on.

Any ideas please?
Hi JJ
Manufacturers repair vehicles prior to sale.
Many ar3 damaged in the transit process.
Your dealer will know this and it’s disingenuous for them to imply otherwise.
Your issue is not that the wheel arch has been repaired at some stage, it is that the factory have Not adjusted the door correctly, which is resulting in damage.
Damage that VW have already repaired once
Insist on the door issue and respray being fixed at no cost to you.
Do this in writing, stage the facts.
I’m presuming you have never had any paint work carried out on the van. State this unequivocally
The dealer has no right to imply the door is causing damage to the panel because of the different paint thickness, this just highlights that VW have already carried out remedial works prior to sale, which is commonplace.
If the dealer fails to rectify the issue fully and to your satisfaction, go to trading standards ( tell the dealer of your intention and advise them you will take it legal)
Look up your consumer rights and pen a coherent email stating why the van is faulty and what you expect th3 dealer to do to rectify the issue.
Should you need to take this further the letter and any other written communication will be needed to establish the facts.
I would not take the BS the dealer is spouting, this is normal practice for any car manufacturer, the problem is you have now had the issue reoccur as the initial remedial work was not up to standard, I.e they did not fix the issue they merely cover the resulting damage!

Hi Ainsy,

Yes I agree the microns difference is nonsense, and to fair to VW Robinsons they are not claiming the microns difference to be the problem, what they are suggesting is that as the wheel arch has been resprayed it could have filler in to a depth to cause a problem - I don't think so - the wheel arch appears the correct size etc, but VW Robinsons are saying that as they do not know the level of the repair, and that they have (allegedly) adjusted to VW guidance there is nothing more they can do just now.
I am going through the process of seeking more information before I make contact with VW customer care, but I am keen for other views and experiences which may assist me.

Hi Ainsy,

Yes I agree the microns difference is nonsense, and to fair to VW Robinsons they are not claiming the microns difference to be the problem, what they are suggesting is that as the wheel arch has been resprayed it could have filler in to a depth to cause a problem - I don't think so - the wheel arch appears the correct size etc, but VW Robinsons are saying that as they do not know the level of the repair, and that they have (allegedly) adjusted to VW guidance there is nothing more they can do just now.
I am going through the process of seeking more information before I make contact with VW customer care, but I am keen for other views and experiences which may assist me.
The dealer is deliberately muddying the waters, they know what dimensions the van should be, they have in house body shop FFS.
How do they repair a van ?
If there was that much filler in The wheel arch so as to cause a dimensional issue you would see it and they would know.
Send the dealer a copy of your third party inspection report and insist they correct the issue, it is known issue and VW are expected to fix it under UK law

Mabey they have not got the skill to resolve the issue ?

Hi JJ
Manufacturers repair vehicles prior to sale.
Many ar3 damaged in the transit process.
Your dealer will know this and it’s disingenuous for them to imply otherwise.
Your issue is not that the wheel arch has been repaired at some stage, it is that the factory have Not adjusted the door correctly, which is resulting in damage.
Damage that VW have already repaired once
Insist on the door issue and respray being fixed at no cost to you.
Do this in writing, stage the facts.
I’m presuming you have never had any paint work carried out on the van. State this unequivocally
The dealer has no right to imply the door is causing damage to the panel because of the different paint thickness, this just highlights that VW have already carried out remedial works prior to sale, which is commonplace.
If the dealer fails to rectify the issue fully and to your satisfaction, go to trading standards ( tell the dealer of your intention and advise them you will take it legal)
Look up your consumer rights and pen a coherent email stating why the van is faulty and what you expect th3 dealer to do to rectify the issue.
Should you need to take this further the letter and any other written communication will be needed to establish the facts.
I would not take the BS the dealer is spouting, this is normal practice for any car manufacturer, the problem is you have now had the issue reoccur as the initial remedial work was not up to standard, I.e they did not fix the issue they merely cover the resulting damage!
I was going to but have become a bit twitchy now. I’ll have a chat with the garage and see what they have to say. They’ve used a clear tape and it took me about 30 seconds to find the scratches, maybe that’ll do. What about you?

Hi Perfectos, TrippleBee and Billylou,

Thank you for your comments, food for thought - rest assured VW will be hearing from me again, and again until this little matter is resolved.

JJ Poppy

Respray. Mine was done a few times. Rear quarter always looks wrong in certain lights but less so, I believe, in the darker colours. So compare now and afterwards!
I've always wondered why the rear quarter looks slightly different in certain lights.

Hi Billylou,
interesting that they were able to adjust more than VW recommended (or was that just VW BS? - sorry I am starting to get that 'feeling' about VW!).
My vehicle had been booked in for three days to resolve the issue (it didn't get past the first day once they established rear 1/4 had 141 microns of additional paint). I wonder if it was to have been taken to another facility to resolve in the booked three days?
Now I know the panel has be repainted I can see the difference, but to be honest I had not noticed it before.

JJ

Back