Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear wheel arch and table scratches

So now having made some initial investigations I get back onto VW Robinsons. I explain to them the observations and views of the independent assessor; that the metal work of rear wheel arch does not appear to have been damaged, or repaired, just the entire rear 1/4 panel resprayed. There is no obvious distortion of the rear wheel arch, and it appears as the near side (as it left the factory).
VW Robinsons accept that the wheel arch did not look defective in any way, they have no reason to suggest that it is any way differing from as it left the factory other than an additional 141 microns of paint in places on the rear 1/4 panel. They accept that an additional 141 microns of paint would not cause the door to catch.

They say that as there has 'been some outside influence' (the re-spray) the warranty is invalidated!

Now am I being unreasonable in not accepting this? If it had been the actual sliding door that had been repaired I could possibly understand, but the door has not been repaired/re-sprayed.
VW Robinsons have asked me to seek information from the VW dealer that I purchased the vehicle from. I am not sure what good this will do, but am writing to them, and the previous owner (VW Group!), and I have already e-mailed VW UK asking if any remedial pre-delivery works were undertaken on my vehicle.

At the moment, to me, it would seem that we can spend over £50K on a VW, previously owned by VW (for 9 months and 4000 miles), from a VW dealership, and then find VW seeking to find a way out of their 3 year warranty for an identified problem/defect with one of their vehicles.

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

JJ

So now having made some initial investigations I get back onto VW Robinsons. I explain to them the observations and views of the independent assessor; that the metal work of rear wheel arch does not appear to have been damaged, or repaired, just the entire rear 1/4 panel resprayed. There is no obvious distortion of the rear wheel arch, and it appears as the near side (as it left the factory).
VW Robinsons accept that the wheel arch did not look defective in any way, they have no reason to suggest that it is any way differing from as it left the factory other than an additional 141 microns of paint in places on the rear 1/4 panel. They accept that an additional 141 microns of paint would not cause the door to catch.

They say that as there has 'been some outside influence' (the re-spray) the warranty is invalidated!

Now am I being unreasonable in not accepting this? If it had been the actual sliding door that had been repaired I could possibly understand, but the door has not been repaired/re-sprayed.
VW Robinsons have asked me to seek information from the VW dealer that I purchased the vehicle from. I am not sure what good this will do, but am writing to them, and the previous owner (VW Group!), and I have already e-mailed VW UK asking if any remedial pre-delivery works were undertaken on my vehicle.

At the moment, to me, it would seem that we can spend over £50K on a VW, previously owned by VW (for 9 months and 4000 miles), from a VW dealership, and then find VW seeking to find a way out of their 3 year warranty for an identified problem/defect with one of their vehicles.

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

JJ
Escalate to VW UK and report the dealer for absolute nonsense and messing you about. It’s the adjustment of the door that’s the issue (and a fairly common issue by the sounds of it, although I’ve never had the issue with our van thankfully), not the rear quarter panel, whether resprayed or not. Their response is like getting a puncture from a whopping great nail and blaming the tyre wasn’t full of fresh air!

I would also suggest finding another dealer...

So is the VW dealer suggesting that if a vehicle is repaired, under any circumstances I.e an insurance job, or pre delivery, they will not honour the manufacturers warranty !

What absolute nonsense

Sadly my VW is once again catching the wheel arch - it’s been fixed and sprayed twice already, so annoying TBH last time I had the tape treatment also which is a good idea shame after 10 months it’s again catching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you with the problem

Read the post #27

Vw cannot deny they know there’s a problem, they have a workshop action, which is a formal instruction to dealers to fix a known problem

Vw Guru works for a Dealer !

Last edited:
The side door saga continues!

As requested by VW Robinsons back in June I wrote to the VW dealer who sold the vehicle to me, and the previous owner (a VW dealership!) - Neither replied to my letter, so a month later I wrote again to both. This time I sent the letters recorded delivery, again no reply from either - Not good VW practice I suggest? But helpful as neither acknowledged, or denied, undertaking the repair and not recording it on the vehicle history! I also wrote to VW UK seeking if the works had been undertaken pre-delivery, they answered very promptly that there was no record of any such pre-delivery works.

So in August I write to VW Robinsons advising of the lack of response to my letters. I reminded them I consider this to be subject of my manufacturers warranty, and request that they undertake the repair, or if they do not have the capability to advise me who can assist.

I ask them for an opinion, in writing as to if they agree that the matter is covered by the manufactures warranty, and if not to provide evidence why not.

VW Robinsons are good to start with at keeping me advised as to their deliberations, but regrettably we entered a period of no communication, so after 3 weeks of no communication I have to chase them up, but there is good news! - VW accept that the matter is subject of the manufacturers warranty - woopee good news! Just at the moment they are not sure how to fix it, but they will be in contact as soon as VW technical have come up with a solution (that was 2 weeks ago).

We await patiently, knowing it is covered by the warranty, as the door continues to catch the wheel arch as and when it feels like doing so!

Just collected our Ocean again today , having spent two weeks at our VW centre having its electric door fixed ( 4th time) and arch / panel resprayed for the third time. It’s never been an issue getting the work covered under warranty, just an annoyance for us. I’ve a list of parts which have been replaced and adjusted over the past three years. Now out of warranty, it’s down to me apparently to cover the costs in future. Anyone ever successfully got a post warranty claim covered for this door catching issue, which is clearly a design fault.

Ah - not good news, sorry to learn of your problems - perhaps that explains the delay in setting about resolving my door problem - if left long enough it will be too old to be considered in warranty?

Did I at one time think a VW Ocean was a 'dream car'?

Just collected our Ocean again today , having spent two weeks at our VW centre having its electric door fixed ( 4th time) and arch / panel resprayed for the third time. It’s never been an issue getting the work covered under warranty, just an annoyance for us. I’ve a list of parts which have been replaced and adjusted over the past three years. Now out of warranty, it’s down to me apparently to cover the costs in future. Anyone ever successfully got a post warranty claim covered for this door catching issue, which is clearly a design fault.

That’s rubbish, it’s clear that the original fault was never fixed. You need to seek legal advice ASAP.

Electric Sliding Door Wheel Arch Scratches - comment for finding the TPI Number 2040818/3 which referred to earlier.

Back