Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recall Atera Genio Pro

The Germans dealers are talking about new delivery date around June -21 for this model
see here:
Rameder.de

At the moment all Atera Genio Pro have to go back to the manufacturer in Germany be updated.

It's a pity because I think it one of the best available in combination with T5-T6 and heavy Ebike-s (25kg) available out now together with the Uebler P22S

• Size between the gutters 21-22cm
  • Load more as 60kg
  • Extra option mounting for a 3rd bike for 2 camping chairs or racing mounting bike
We got the be patience at the moment and wait a month or 2 before we decide

greetings

Mark

Got mine from ‘Roofbox.co.uk’.

Been in touch with them and they helpfully replied that they are waiting for a special tool to be shipped from Germany which will then be used to change some parts. They hope to have all the ones they sold updated before the end of lockdown. However it will need sending back (asked if I could fix mine myself) which will be a hassle at both ends - I have not retained the large box it came in.

Having considered what the problem might be (tilting while in motion but remaining attached to the tow ball) , it can only relate to the spring loaded catch that retains the tilt in place. Personal choice plainly, but I feel confident that this can be mitigated in the meantime by adding extra retention to the tilt mechanism once loaded. I do this anyway by way of a chain which I use to secure the rack to the tow hitch. I’ll now add something extra like a couple of Voile straps. Every user should make their own assessment and decide whether they wish to use it pending an update.

I used it extensively last summer without issue, but I had independently come to the conclusion that a visual check of catch engagement was necessary. I had begun to feel that it could inadvertently fail to latch fully without the operator realising it. My guess is this is the problem they are trying to solve.

Good that you being in touch with your supplier

Good that you will go for the update, otherwise you will never travel with any confidence.

Greetings

Mark

For the information of Genio Pro owners, Roofbox.co.uk have completed our recall in a very efficient manner. They supplied new packaging, full instructions and sorted out all shipping and turned it round in a week. Excellent customer service from them.

As I thought above, the catch mechanism has now been reworked and it seems on examining it on the floor to be a more effective mechanism. Not tried it on the van yet. However, on April 12th...

We got the Genio pro because of all the great reviews here and it does what it says.
The problem is the tilt latch (which we need to get into the rear with bikes loaded). It's a pretty major design flaw IMO.

It's plastic, fragile and low to the ground (see it in the picture below). It's also at the furthest point from the rear wheels and it's very easy when, for example, entering campgrounds with potholes or uneven, unsurfaced roads, to catch the bottom of the tilt pedal. Given the forces involved a single knock can destroy it.

You can't disassemble the tilt pedal and there are no replacement parts anyway. Once it's broken you then have a great bike rack that won't tilt. I managed to get mine working again with a hammer but it's a guess how long it will last.

IMG_20230405_144545.jpg

I had a problem with my rack and contacted Atera in Germany and they could not have been more helpful especially as we were caught up in the post Brexit shipping crisis. They swapped mine out for a new one and refunded postage. I would recomend you contact them given my experience - Good luck!