Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendation of what towbar & trailer for towing. Might add caravan at later date.

Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I shall have a VW westfalia detachable towbar installed at some point, or what tow bar should I get installed.
I wondered which single axle trailer to use for up to 500KG ?
Taking trips in the UK and EU, freezers to the tip and other such trips.
I have no idea as to a trailer that would suffice.
But would the westfalia detachable tow bar have the ability to pull a small Eriba caravan.
Do I need an anti sway bar? Would that be incorporated on the detachable bit or would I need to add an add on?
I'd rather spend the money now and have what will last for 10 years as and when I buy a caravan. (I love Granny Jens van, very ideal)
Complete novice when it comes to towing, but I do have grandfather rights to towing on my licence from 31 years ago :)
I've heard west midlands trailers are good?
Or do I buy 2nd hand trailer?

Summerise:
What Tow Bar to get installed?
What small trailer to do tip runs? (sofa, tall freezer, etc)

Your detachable tow bar is good for anything within legal weight limits.
When the time comes, get some towing practice before you get serious about holidays.
Anti-snake devices can help; depends what you are towing. A lot rely on the two bolt tow ball fixing; you can get a device to fit to your swan-neck to achieve this.
You just need to look in the classifieds or well known internet sites to find a trailer. Look at one or two and you will see what is good and what is not.

The Westfalia detachable towbar for the VW T5.1 will take a maximum vertical load of 100kg. That is the maximum weight of the downward pressure on the bar and is marked on a label attached to the tow bar. I suspect the T6/6.1 version will be similar if not the same.

The nose weight of a trailer should be between 40 -75kgs.

If you get this right, then snaking will not be an issue. If this weight is too light, i.e. the balance of the weight is behind the trailer's axel then the trailer is loaded wrongly and it will snake at speed. There are some videos from dashcams of this happening.

There are also videos of exhibition demo models where the weight is moved on the trailer towards the back of a trailer which shows the snaking well.

So getting the nose weight right is critical, but not difficult to do. We tow an Eriba Troll with our Cali and it is very stable.

Alan

The Westfalia detachable towbar for the VW T5.1 will take a maximum vertical load of 100kg. That is the maximum weight of the downward pressure on the bar and is marked on a label attached to the tow bar. I suspect the T6/6.1 version will be similar if not the same.

The nose weight of a trailer should be between 40 -75kgs.

If you get this right, then snaking will not be an issue. If this weight is too light, i.e. the balance of the weight is behind the trailer's axel then the trailer is loaded wrongly and it will snake at speed. There are some videos from dashcams of this happening.

There are also videos of exhibition demo models where the weight is moved on the trailer towards the back of a trailer which shows the snaking well.

So getting the nose weight right is critical, but not difficult to do. We tow an Eriba Troll with our Cali and it is very stable.

Alan
Thanks @AlanC
A good read and excellent information

Majority of Caravans have an anti-snaking stabiliser tow hitch fitted. These have friction pads that clamp onto the towball so nothing extra needed. Towball MUST be grease/oil free, if a trailer also used then ensure fully degreased prior to hooking caravan on.

I'd go for a 750kgs trailer for more flexibility in both load bulk and weight. Actual weight carried is minus the trailers weight. ie a 500kgs trailer would carry approx 300kgs.

Ifor Williams P range are tough but costly. Many cheaper new alternative ones on EBAY that come with a cover etc and half the price.
I have an A.W. P6 750kgs and a Polish made 750kgs one. The quality is definitely obvious in the cost. The Polish one is (£375 a few years back now seems to be £600ish) able to do most normal domestic duties easily.

Annsens Trailers are Dutch, excellent but very high cost.
Brenderup are also a good brand.

Thanks @B J G
Some good info there :thumb

Thanks @B J G
Some good info there :thumb
New Eriba Tow Hitch with Stabiliser & looks like built in nose weight indicator, all to make life easier.

Re nose weight, I just look for a bit of a dip on the Cali's @rse when I hook on the trailer, to tell me I'm got enough nose on there. If the Cali's front wheels come off the ground, that's too much...

Re trailer choices, you do get what you pay for with trailers and the various cheap Polish ones may actually be fine but don't seem to get a very good rep. Buying a 'good' brand at least means you'll get more of your money back if/when you sell it.

Don't be afraid to go a tad bigger than you think you need. The Cali won't notice it.

On the tow bar question, I use a detachable Westfalia for my twin axle car-transporter trailer which is 500kg net plus the weight of whichever car is on it. I don't bother with anti-sway bars or other gizmos.

Insurance class Towbars as a Modification and need to be notified, extra risk when anything attached.

I also found that they cover up to 750Kgs ones with no extra charge but over that the trailer needs to be insured in it's own right.

Over 750kgs can have speed limit restrictions in some Countries.

Thanks @B J G
Useful info. It was an extra £19 a year for the £1500 of Koni suspension and H&R ARB addition.
so hopefully too much for a £342 Westfalia detachable !

Majority of Caravans have an anti-snaking stabiliser tow hitch fitted. These have friction pads that clamp onto the towball so nothing extra needed. Towball MUST be grease/oil free, if a trailer also used then ensure fully degreased prior to hooking caravan on.

I'd go for a 750kgs trailer for more flexibility in both load bulk and weight. Actual weight carried is minus the trailers weight. ie a 500kgs trailer would carry approx 300kgs.

Ifor Williams P range are tough but costly. Many cheaper new alternative ones on EBAY that come with a cover etc and half the price.
I have an A.W. P6 750kgs and a Polish made 750kgs one. The quality is definitely obvious in the cost. The Polish one is (£375 a few years back now seems to be £600ish) able to do most normal domestic duties easily.

Annsens Trailers are Dutch, excellent but very high cost.
Brenderup are also a good brand.
I would add to that...and paint free.

The Alk-Ko hitch is the one fitted as standard to most modern caravans including the Eriba range.

Alan

What about trailers?
Never seen one on a trailer.

Big ones (generally over 1.5tonnes in UK) have twin axles which are self stabilising, small ones wouldn't have enough weight/mass to overcome the stabiliser when empty.