Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for preparing for shipping to the Antipodes?

Ken M

Ken M

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Later this week I’ll be dropping our Cali off at Rainham for shipping to Australia. Due to heavy commitments with my work I haven’t given the preparation requirements much thought yet. Apart from draining the water tanks, removing the gas bottle, making sure that all switches are off and plugs removed, is there anything else that I should be thinking about? It will be about 6 weeks shipping and then a couple of weeks on the docks to clear customs etc. Is there anything that I can do to minimise drain on the electric system such as removing fuses?

I’d just give it a good charge on ehu before it goes. Should be fine for 2 months. Is it on deck or in a container?

Leisure Batteries should be OK, everything switched off including Control Panel.
Engine Battery, not so sure. Mine has lasted 4 weeks with alarm On and still started.

I shipped a vehicle (an old car with 'leaky' electrics) from Darwin in Northern Australia to Chennai India in 1999/2000, collected it 4 months later. It started fine.

I had jump leads in the back in case of problems.

Thanks all. Reassuring, and I hadn’t thought about turning the control panel off. Seems like it all good to go.

Will be shipping in a container, so hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Make sure there isn't any mud on it, they are really keen not to get any bugs into the country, they will no doubt fumigate it as well.

AND don't be tempted to bring a battery pack jumpstarter with the plane … nightmare :)

Sound like you are out for an adventure - is it to much to hope for regular updates? We have talked about shipping to both Australia and America to spend some months driving around. That's on the bucket list here.

Or are you just moving …

I didn’t think it was possible to get out of a T5 or T6 Cali through the front or side doors once driven into a shipping container? It may be prudent to put foam buffers on the front in case they try. If they have to exit out of the tailgate, it might be an idea to lay your rear seat flat and cover it.

Clean it forensically ! Esp antipodes they go over them with a fine tooth comb.
I dropped it off today after giving it a good clean - but not what I would call forensically. The import agent advised against putting in too much effort - the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service will direct it to be cleaned on arrival regardless. I have factored in a $400 steam clean on arrival in Sydney by a ‘preferred’ cleaner.

Sound like you are out for an adventure - is it to much to hope for regular updates? We have talked about shipping to both Australia and America to spend some months driving around. That's on the bucket list here.

Or are you just moving …

Moving back home after 2 years in the UK but I hope with the Cali in tow it will be all the more adventurous. I am hoping to bring a few new perspectives to the “View from your Cali” thread...

Moving back home after 2 years in the UK but I hope with the Cali in tow it will be all the more adventurous. I am hoping to bring a few new perspectives to the “View from your Cali” thread...
Hi Ken, I am thinking of shipping our Cali from UK to Adelaide this year and would like to hear how it went for you in 2019?
Was it worth the cost & hassle, have you got good use of the Cali in Oz (given the different environment/climate to the UK) and any top tips?

Hi Ken, I am thinking of shipping our Cali from UK to Adelaide this year and would like to hear how it went for you in 2019?
Was it worth the cost & hassle, have you got good use of the Cali in Oz (given the different environment/climate to the UK) and any top tips?
Hi Alison
Also looking at shipping Cali to Oz - any tips?

Back