Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for retrofit heater for Beach

B

bilberry

Guest User
After a fantastic wild camp, we're considering a heater for our three-year-old Beach. Funnily enough, we were able to get one when we did because the original buyer changed their mind, wanted a factory-fitted heater ands cancelled their order. We manage fine, but heating would make a difference.

So...Eberspacher, Webasto, Planar, Propex? And do we need to worry about damage/ugliness to our lovely, pristine van? Any suggestions, advice and installer recommendations gratefully received.

Maybe we should trade in now for a new Beach or Ocean?????!!!!

I had my Webasto fitted by Slidepods (Devon way), absolutely love it, best addon I ever put in a van. It's probably a good part of a days work to install but easily done.

I had my Webasto fitted by Slidepods (Devon way), absolutely love it, best addon I ever put in a van. It's probably a good part of a days work to install but easily done.
I did look at that thread on the forum, but didn't like the rather ugly nozzle sticking out under the back of the driver's seat.

That was only because I didn't opt for the OEM/factory vent kit option which I didnt feel was worth the extra expense but if you wanted that its an option.

Last edited:
I did look at that thread on the forum, but didn't like the rather ugly nozzle sticking out under the back of the driver's seat.

Not oem but this is what i did for the outlet:
IMG_0062.JPG

Its a bit of 3mm ply sprayed grey to which the outlet is mounted. Outer bezel rotates so the hot air can be directed.
(Originally the fitter replaced the whole back with a nasty bit of carpeted hardboard & big black outlet which I hated.)

Webasto & Eberspacher are the big players in diesel heater market. Don't think there is a great difference between them, both have good reputation & reports. Not familiar with Planar. Propex is a gas heater rather than diesel so you would need to have either a gas locker or underslung gas bottle fitted.
Another option on the diesel heater is the MV Airo https://mvheating.co.uk/product/mv-airo-2-v/
Other factors to look at are what sort of controller, these start at a basic rotary dial then digital display and up to something that can be controlled remotely or via a phone app. Then need to decide where to mount the controller.
My experience is you do have to worry about damage to the van so chose the fitter carefully. Where about are you located? There have been some recommended fitters on the forum in the past (inc Slidepods).

So...Eberspacher, Webasto, Planar, Propex? And do we need to worry about damage/ugliness to our lovely, pristine van? Any suggestions, advice and installer recommendations gratefully received.

Definitely interested to hear people's views on this. My regret on my new van is not speccing a heater, so I'm looking to try to get one retro fitted as close to a factory fit as possible. This may mean getting an Eberspacher fitted (I believe this is what vw use) and finding out if it's possible to get the factory fit heater control panel by the rear view mirror retro fitted by someone like hazzy dayz.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Definitely interested to hear people's views on this. My regret on my new van is not speccing a heater, so I'm looking to try to get one retro fitted as close to a factory fit as possible. This may mean getting an Eberspacher fitted (I believe this is what vw use) and finding out if it's possible to get the factory fit heater control panel by the rear view mirror retro fitted by someone like hazzy dayz.

No point in the complexity or expense of the control panel when you can fit the Webasto control unit discreetly and out the way and control via remote.

My votes Webasto too.
It’s been brilliant

Not oem but this is what i did for the outlet:
View attachment 28782

Its a bit of 3mm ply sprayed grey to which the outlet is mounted. Outer bezel rotates so the hot air can be directed.
(Originally the fitter replaced the whole back with a nasty bit of carpeted hardboard & big black outlet which I hated.)

Webasto & Eberspacher are the big players in diesel heater market. Don't think there is a great difference between them, both have good reputation & reports. Not familiar with Planar. Propex is a gas heater rather than diesel so you would need to have either a gas locker or underslung gas bottle fitted.
Another option on the diesel heater is the MV Airo https://mvheating.co.uk/product/mv-airo-2-v/
Other factors to look at are what sort of controller, these start at a basic rotary dial then digital display and up to something that can be controlled remotely or via a phone app. Then need to decide where to mount the controller.
My experience is you do have to worry about damage to the van so chose the fitter carefully. Where about are you located? There have been some recommended fitters on the forum in the past (inc Slidepods).

Our beach was an ex demo & came with no night heater I really don't like the dodgy looking panel that most installers use but I would be happy with doing what you have done to yours @owen_h that looks much better!

Our beach was an ex demo & came with no night heater I really don't like the dodgy looking panel that most installers use but I would be happy with doing what you have done to yours @owen_h that looks much better!
Thanks,
The Webasto part number I used is 1320933A for the outlet and 1320922A for the backing nut. (There is a very similar part with 90deg louvers but that wouldnt allow the heat to be directed up or down.)
Glued to the back of the plywood are some battens so that it can be screwed (from behind) to the plastic seat base cover.

My experience of propex in our T25 is that they are very gas hungry, they work great but will cost you a small fortune in gas and you also have to worry about storing a bottle somewhere.

Thanks,
The Webasto part number I used is 1320933A for the outlet and 1320922A for the backing nut. (There is a very similar part with 90deg louvers but that wouldnt allow the heat to be directed up or down.)
Glued to the back of the plywood are some battens so that it can be screwed (from behind) to the plastic seat base cover.
The plastic cover is pretty cheap for the seats, I've bought a spare one which I am going to flush fit in at some point.

I have been pondering a Y piece and a second closeable vent that can stick out of the front of the seat so that I actually open it when needed to get some warm air upstairs too ;)

No point in the complexity or expense of the control panel when you can fit the Webasto control unit discreetly and out the way and control via remote.

My votes Webasto too.
It’s been brilliant
yeah this is my control panel, rather good.

bff887fefe4dc97d3f3e6df9621c7e44.jpg

One thing I will say with the Webasto ones is its worth the extra £30 for the room temperature sensor otherwise it uses the air intake for deciding when its warm enough.

The standard intake location is the RH footwell which in a T5/6 doesnt get a lot of the hot air and is a cooler part of the interior, so it often means the van gets hotter than intended.

yeah this is my control panel, rather good.

One thing I will say with the Webasto ones is its worth the extra £30 for the room temperature sensor otherwise it uses the air intake for deciding when its warm enough.

The standard intake location is the RH footwell which in a T5/6 doesnt get a lot of the hot air and is a cooler part of the interior, so it often means the van gets hotter than intended.

I thought it used a temperature sensor incorporated into the control unit?
Where did you mount the external sensor and where did it connect to? Found a Webasto technical guide and it refers to "Cut off the terminating resistor on the heater wiring harness " Not sure where to look for this resistor.

From the research I’ve done the sensor in the panel is ignored sadly. Seems very odd but that’s how webasto set it.

There is a resistor on the wiring loom, I’ve not fitted my sensor, it arrived recently but I need to take the seat out etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just reviving this thread because I've discovered Exploria are just down the road from me. They look pretty good and they say they have vehicles I can look at to check finish etc. Has anyone had any experience of using them for a Webasto heater?

Just reviving this thread because I've discovered Exploria are just down the road from me. They look pretty good and they say they have vehicles I can look at to check finish etc. Has anyone had any experience of using them for a Webasto heater?
As I type this Exploria are installing a webasto heater into my T6 beach! Picking it up later this afternoon. :) Once it's done I'll be heading south but you are welcome to come and have a look look later if exploria are OK with that.

Thanks, Chris. That would be great. Are you up in Brighouse now, then? Do you want to text me direct with a time/place if that's OK with everyone? 07972 167945.

As I type this Exploria are installing a webasto heater into my T6 beach! Picking it up later this afternoon. :) Once it's done I'll be heading south but you are welcome to come and have a look look later if exploria are OK with that.

Yes as per my thread ( https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/california-beach-gen6-ocean-red-beach-bulli-project.22394/ )I had the Webasto Heater installed two weeks ago at Exploria with 7-Day timer and Factory vents and am very pleased with it! (See my Beach-Bulli thread for pics)

ventfront.jpg
ventback.jpg
timer7day.jpg

Last edited:
Gazellio, that looks a decent fit.
Nice:cool:

Exploria did a good job on mine, I've posted about it before.

Exploria did a brilliant job installing a webasto heater for me yesterday. Very similar to the job done for gazellio with factory vent intakes/outlets. I went for the 7 day timer controller on the B pillar just above the seat belt. Can't recommend exploria enough. Very friendly and helpful bunch.

It was also terrific to meet @bilberry. :)
e451a5194cad1858947595e048160454.jpg

Well done glad they sorted you to the same standard as mine I was very pleased with them. Good location for the timer if you want to avoid it getting knocked. I wanted mine on C pillar so I could turn on the heating from my bed. :thumb

Now we have three locations:

timer7day-jpg.29867

e451a5194cad1858947595e048160454.jpg

I wanted mine on C pillar so I could turn on the heating from my bed.

Good plan. I was also trying to avoid the situation of my young kids fiddling with the controller in the back while I was driving. Visions of being on motorway with the cab at 35 degrees and not being able to easily stop to turn it off!

Back