Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommended engine oil - Castrol Edge 5W 30?

Still confused - that link says 507 for post 2000?

as long as it's 5 30 it will be fine. no where anywhere ever does it state to use a certain make

If you look at Halfords they sell Petronas various 5w30 I couldn't find one of them that specified VW507.00 as stated in the manual

So is the consensus that any fully synthetic 5w/30 will do the job?

We all fret about this subject but many a garage as we all know just bung in whatever's in the bulk oil container or so I have heard.... ;)

So is the consensus that any fully synthetic 5w/30 will do the job?

We all fret about this subject but many a garage as we all know just bung in whatever's in the bulk oil container or so I have heard.... ;)
Generally yes, but there are a couple of exceptions for older engines like the 5pot PD engine that must have the 506.01 as these have been proven to get cam lobe wear with the incorrect oil.

So, is that definitive - my 2008 174 5 pot must have 506? Goodness knows what is in there now (as per my post above)? :)

Just asking again as 507 is supposedly an improvement.

Just wondering if the lobe advice is just that 5/40 must not be used:

icon1.gif
Re: 2009 T5 2.5 TDI T32 Engine oil spec?
Thanks GDAS. All resolved now with full oil change plus new filter using Castrol Edge long life 3 ie. 5w30 - which conforms to 507.01 oil spec in handbook. VW vans customer service intervened and assisted the vw vancentre on my behalf all FOC. I cannot recommend them enough for their supportive role. Also Castrol technical very helpful as were many other VW service centres I contacted. It seems that from 2006 all such VW 2.5ltr diesel engines cannot use 5w40 without increased risk of camshaft wear. Somewhat surprised a little take up on my thread - tried search first but not found - clearly engine oil isn't just oil it's fundamental.

From another topic:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-146981-p-2.html

Some of the oil manufacturers (including VW's Quantum) state that their PD oil is low to mid saps and some including Penrite and Gulf say that theirs are mid saps (the same as the 506 and 507 longlife oils). So what is the difference?

Putting it simply - the "ash" content in the oil holds any contaminants in suspension in the oil, so a low saps oil has less ash in it. This means that it is a short drain oil and should be changed every year or at 10,000 miles. Mid saps oils have very slightly more ash in them, so they are termed as long drain oils, and are deemed to be more suitable for DPF's, whether they are on annual or variable servicing.

However, I have argued that the 0w/30 and 5w/30 oils are too thin for higher mileage vehicles - if more oil is being vented to the atmosphere via the exhaust then surely that would affect cat and DPF performance as well, not to mention air pollution.

The 5 cylinder T5 engine may be unique to the T5 and Touareg and some marine applications but the block and bottom end is essentially the same as the T4, Volvo 850, and harks back to the early 1990's Audi 100 when 10/40 had just phased out good old 20/50 multigrade oil, which now tends to be marketed as Classic Motor Oil. The 2.0litre 4 cylinder VW Audi engine found in the Mk3/Mk4 Golf, and petrol T4's and T5's etc is a notorious oil burner because it is essentially a 1970's design, made to run on 20/50. I used Valvoline racing oil in my GTI, and oil consumption was good...

However, it is the injection system that makes it imperative that these engines run on the correct oil, and 5w/40 C3 oil covers all the bases on all pre DPF Cat diesel engines, and all efi petrol engines for that matter that run with EGR valves, throttle bodies and Cats. It is so highly specced that I would have no hesitation in using it as a replacement for Mobil One in higher mileage Bimmers, AMG Mercs and Porsches, and it is considerably cheaper...

One last point C2 oil used in Peugeot/Citroen diesels (found in Land Rovers and Jags) and many Japanese vehicles has a lower minimum pour rate than C3 oil, which is supposedly more fuel efficient. C2 oil is definitely thinner, yet BMW still require the use of C3 oils in their latest generation Peugeot engined Mini range. Donot under any circumsatnaces use C2 oil in your PD engine, because it will definitely kill the camshaft and injectors.

So to sum up - I am confident that any 5w/40 C3 cat oil that meets VW 505.01 spec is safe to use in any pre DPF T5 - and T4, for that matter. The engine monitors oil quality and will ping on the service light any time after a year or 9,300 miles if the oil has degraded enough, but that could be true of the holy grail 507 LL3 oil if the vehicle is used in stop start/short journey (school run) scenarios.

It is only because VW states that 507 Longlife 3 oil is the only oil to be used in any of their DPF equipped vehicles that I would not recommend using anything else in your 2007 on DPF T5.

As mine is presumably DPF equipped this is why 507 seems correct?

And:

*All diesel vehicles fitted with R5 (5 cylinder) and 5.0ltr V10 engines and
manufactured prior to 1 January 2006, cannot use oils meeting Volkswagen standard
507 00 even if equipped with a DPF. These engines should use oils meeting
Volkswagen standard 506 01 (eg. Castrol Professional Longtec LongLife II 0W-30) for
both LongLife and Time and Distance servicing regimes. "

so i interpret that as either oil being fine

No.

AXD and AXE engines 506.01

BNZ and BPC engines 507.00

That's it, no exceptions.

Mine is BPC!

And another very long link but lots of research:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/oil-506-01-v-507-00-once-and-for-all-i-hope_topic47209.html

Last edited:
Interesting thread. My 2009 174 is due an oil change. I don't know the engine code though. How would I find out if it's a BPC (requiring 507.00)? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V5 - engine number. It will be same as mine though ie BPC I'm 99.9% sure.

Bought 7 litres of Castrol from Opi. 7 Litres! That's a lot! Still, worth it to know the job was done with the right oil.

7 litres only just enough and mine was near the top of the dip stick when I started. Buy 8. That oil filter is a challenge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just adding a bit more to this old thread. I think there is still lots of confusion around and uncertainty as to whether 507 trumps 506.01 for our T5 Cali's with dpfs.
After lots of searching, I went for this stuff, which meets 507 but also lists 506.01 on the label. Fingers crossed!
IMG_20210603_093611.jpg

I've used Millers oils in BMW and VAG cars for more than twenty years and I have never had any problems. I used to buy direct in 25 litre drums. I think Millers products are very under rated.

Back