Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reflective bike rackrack

Nice done , di you add somthing reflective to the frame if in use , folded down ? Cose thats also handy ...that people behind get better view of the extra lenght...

Haven't got round to that yet as the cali is to close to the hedge to unfold. May get chance later this week.
Glad you like it, not seen anybody else do this so might be a first!

Don' t have a bike rack but it is something i would add to it ...seen is be seen...

Please be aware that an increasing number of EU countries require approved large reflectors on protruding bike racks even in the folded position if they project beyond the vehicle footprint, even by cms. In Italy their is a defined, approved reflector which must be in Aluminium as made by Fiamma.
http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-carry-bike-alu-plastic-signal.html
image.jpg

like the above post dislike the requirement :mad: over the top, whats wrong with a red duster hooked on the bike rack

I done my rack a long time ago, using a silver reflective tape so it only shows at night. Just another option available.

looks cool, where did you get the tape? did you have to cut it down to fit?

Tape was bought off ebay. When I fitted it I cut roughly the width then finished with a stanley/craft knife. It's worth having a clean rag and blunt instrument to get the bubbles out.
I've done a strip on the back when it's folded out.

Brill thanks for that :thumb

Use the one that Welshgas mentioned as above, other methods, tape etc not acceptable in France, i live there for part of year, unless of course you want to pay an on the spot fine if stopped.

John

A sort of extension to this thread...
When loaded with bikes, even with the factory bike rack, is there a legal requirement to put an additional lightboard/number plate so that the plate is always visible?
On the point of putting some reflective tape on the rack (either closed or open) - with it being rear facing, would it need to be red or white legally?
:confused:

A sort of extension to this thread...
When loaded with bikes, even with the factory bike rack, is there a legal requirement to put an additional lightboard/number plate so that the plate is always visible?
On the point of putting some reflective tape on the rack (either closed or open) - with it being rear facing, would it need to be red or white legally?
:confused:
No it does not block lights or number plate.
Any reflective tape facing rear needs to be red.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We're going France / Switzerland / Italy next month with two (poss. 4) bikes on the rack. 'Got away with it' last time, but I've got the Fiamma square job this time to mitigate an avoidable pull.

Please be aware that an increasing number of EU countries require approved large reflectors on protruding bike racks even in the folded position if they project beyond the vehicle footprint, even by cms. In Italy their is a defined, approved reflector which must be in Aluminium as made by Fiamma.
http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-carry-bike-alu-plastic-signal.html
View attachment 6777
I think it is also mandatory in Spain. I HATE the Spanish traffic authorities and traffic Guardia Civil!!!!

Do be aware that the design of the red and white striped board differs between Italy and Spain.

The plastic Fiamma one is for Italy and has 5 red diagonal stripes. The Spanish one should be metal with only 3 red diagonal stripes. I bought a slightly more expensive reversible metal one off ebay.

Having said that, I saw mostly plastic Italian boards in Spain on our last trip.

I believe Hungary also requires the board.

Alan

Do be aware that the design of the red and white striped board differs between Italy and Spain.

The plastic Fiamma one is for Italy and has 5 red diagonal stripes. The Spanish one should be metal with only 3 red diagonal stripes. I bought a slightly more expensive reversible metal one off ebay.

Having said that, I saw mostly plastic Italian boards in Spain on our last trip.

I believe Hungary also requires the board.

Alan
You are correct regarding the number of strips BUT Italy insists on an Aluminium sign. Plastic is not legal, but you might get away with it.

When in Italy and Spain am I required to have the striped board when using a tow ball rack that has lights and number plate?

When in Italy and Spain am I required to have the striped board when using a tow ball rack that has lights and number plate?

Yes. And beware, they are not the sam for Span and Italy. Så you need two different types. You can get two-in-one though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YFH8IJY/?tag=eliteelect-21

81GucHCquTL._SL1500_.jpg

Yes. From what I have read.

This is the forum at its best. Providing really useful info to members that don't know from people that do know. We are off to Spain next year on our first big adventure (if the camper arrives, still status 10) and I was until now unaware Even of the existence of this warning sign, let alone having to own one. Thanks all for sharing your knowledge. Should have put it on the Christmas list, especially as it's in Santa's colours too. Oh hang on, my camper related Christmas list is already longer than the VW options list. I might just have to buy this thing myself. Though £26 seems mighty high for a small square piece of tin (alli).

Apparently if you have Spanish number plates you need the Spanish version. If you have any other European number plates then the Spanish or Italian sign is permissible.

That is interesting @WelshGas, where did you find that info?

Back