Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Regrets ...... too few to mention

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I love this forum lots of great stuff to guide newbys into a life of californication - as i wait for my new Beach to be built and delivered i wonder what existing owners might do differently next time.

I spent ages fine tuning the spec trying to limit extras to the minimum - needs and not wants, and keeping it as standard, simple and fun as possible. I hope i will have no regrets but i wont know until it arrives and we start living together.

It would be fun to hear what regrets other owners have - what things they never use, wish they had - chose wrong colour, chose wrong vehicle, engine etc - cant believe everyone is as chuffed as they make out

I bought a Demo vehicle.

It came with bits that I did NOT want. Comfort mattress - still don't want, Climatronic - now will never do without it, Electric door, definitely never even near my wanted list but now a most definite "must have",

There were no bits that I wanted and it did not have,

If I was to order another California, rather WHEN I order another Cali, it will be a case of trundling Albert up to a dealer and saying "Same again please".

In terms of accessories, well the outer topper was bought as a necessity and sold after a year unused and still in it's delivery wrapper, the inka seat covers went, the ever so nice matching melamine table set has been replaced with disposable plates and cutlery (I found washing up to be one of the least enjoyable parts of Cali living), the plastic wine glass has been replaced with a real one, the levelling blocks are still in their wrapping, the heavyweight nesting pan set has been replaced with something half the size and weight, the 240v slow cooker has been replaced with a 12v one,

In fact, what gets packed into the vehicle now bears no resemblance whatsoever to what first got packed in it :D

As chuffed as I make out? Probably more so, it has been quite the very best and most flexible vehicle that I have ever owned despite one long-running niggle, now resolved.

Approaching 3 years and used the roof topper twice (been lucky with the weather)
Never used the drive away awning (no one loves me)
Used the mattress toppers twice (happy with VW comfort mattress and supplied upstairs mattress)

Alan

I'm lucky in that I had 2 vans in 2 years (moved hemispheres)
Only changes I made were to remove electric door and change colour. Beyond that was identical (with some added options I could get in UK)

Two years of ownership ,and the more we use it the more we love it !
Looked into swapping it for a newer model recently but its only just covered 11k miles and is still looking fresh so we decided against it. ( and my better half is besotted with it)
We have used our topper almost every outing ( we always sleep up top and hate being cold)
Regrets , a few , 1- I wish I had firmed up the ride sooner, 2- I wish i had removed the rear head rests sooner!
I also wish i had sold the Splitty sooner and got one of these.
Things we never use, 1- the pre- heater thing with the remote, 2-the bottle of Picon liquor we've carried about for two years! 3- the water fill hose i bought , its never been long enough .
Things we rarely use ,side canopy (too flimsy for our English weather)

Nine years old on 4th November. 2 x Led lamps under locker, 2 x "bendy" Led lamps in roof bedroom

John

Biggest regret was not being able to afford to keep the Split for a fun toy! But we don't regret selling it to finance the Cali at all...not even for a nano-second!
Best option..Alacantara interior!
Useless option..nothing!
If I was to order again I'd deffo have the best infotainment/sat nav I could!

One year in - 180 manual - natural grey, towbar, parking sensors, privacy glass, dimming mirror - all just as they should be - might have gone for a smart steering wheel , but that's just picky and because we have one in a golf.... maybe a different radio / sounds - though initial irritation at not having a USB sound in connection now gone with the acquisition of a magic device that tunes the i player / digital radion into the radio... Like Granny Jen I bought a random range of stuff that has never been used - did use the ramps once I suppose, but they take up a lot of room for that once....(apart from leaving one to keep the pitch a few times.....)

None of the above would make it worth waiting 4 months for delivery though - so far so good.... Particularly impressed like many with the power of the engine - effortless cruising and hill whizzing. Even around Cornwall seem to be averaging 39mpg - much better than I imagined. Looking out of the window now feel the urge to give Herman a much overdue clean..... maybe next week. So far so good .....

Biggest regret. Did not do a few years earlier

Couldn't agree more - what on earth was I doing for years and years not having a Cali. Why did I wait 'til I retired.

Having said that we're having a ball now we're both retired!!

:bananadance

180dsg nearly 5 years old, 30,000 miles, around 350 nights away. Regrets? Only that we can't get away for longer with that work thing constantly getting in the way.

Just had big service Inc cam belt and water pump. Sailed through second MOT with no advisories.

Requested the brake disks be checked as I feel a slight judder braking from high speed but the dealer says the original disks and pads are only at 50% of life!

Planning to fit air suspension early next year.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Biggest regret. Did not do a few years earlier
Our sentiments exactly!

I do strongly regret not ordering with parking sensors...

The Privacy glass was not private enough & had to add extra film, so maybe the privacy option was a waste of money.

Never used the awning so just removed it for more "stealth".

Also bought immediately but not used (yet?) - Ploo - Hookup lead (away from home) - Tow rope - Jump leads - Blue fillup hose - Magnetic key box - Emergency keys.

I wish there was a way of accessing electric windows, wipers, external temperature etc on site without having to turn on ignition & the glaring front lights...
I know you can operate the windows with the remote key but that is a nuisance when in the vehicle.
I know you can avoid the daylight lamps by switching on the sidelamps first.
But it would be so much nicer with an old-fashioned "Accessories" position for the ignition!

Oh - and I wish there was a more robust upholstery colour/pattern...
Even one drop of clean water leaves a mark (which you can remove, but even so).

With all that it is still brilliant!!

I have a conversion so my main regret is not going to a VW dealer to double check the spec...got a smart steering wheel but the other bit I needed to link it to Bluetooth was not spec'd!
Regret No 2=not being able to retire NOW to allow us to join all of you who report so frequently on your wonderful adventures!
I too filled my van with things I don't need...the joke is the number of silicon spatulas I bought! Each one was smaller and/or a quirkier colour...now I have a box in the loft of thing I might need if the others wear out....think I'll wear out first!
Main mistake was to think I'd need an array of herbs and spices (I blame Martin Dorey for that dellusion...it's salads and pasta for me! Herbs and spices will not be returned to the VW food cupboard in 2016). I love my array of mini bottles and use of tictac boxes for my herbs and spices, it'll be a sad departure!
I nearly bought a canopy but trialled it without wind and realised it made life too difficult, especially if likely to move off the site every day.
Likewise I decided not to get a drive away awning. I realised my van represented fresh air and simplicity. However I'm currently considering a Coleman fly shelter, in the hope that I might do more and might like to sit out on sultry evenings in fly infested areas.....?!
Other than that all is well in our mini home. Oh, did I mention my furry monkey hanging from the ceiling...and my latest purchase of 3 Disney stuffed faces who'll be squished in that space on the ceiling just above the front seats...looks like it should take a radio but needs something to fill the gap...hoping 2 dwarves and a donkey will fit!
Finally, best decision to repeat is leather upholstery...dog proof!

Like Granny Jen we bought our California nearly new so someone else had made the choice of options for us.

If we had spec’d our vehicle ourselves, one of the options on the vehicle we bought would have been a must have, and one would not have been considered, but after 2.5 years use we now reversed our opinion.

ELECTRIC DOOR. Want, want, lust, lust ! It turned out to be like living with a temperamental mistress - not that I know what that's like, or perhaps feel it's better not to post on the forum! When you wanted to creep back into bed late at night, wanting only silence, she would constantly talk with an annoying bleeping sound, which is impossible to turn off. Some nights just as you were getting ready to be tucked up warm in bed, she would go so far, judder, and quickly withdraw back. It could then take several attempts to persuade her to go all the way before you could be warm in bed. She would then require numerous visits to the VW therapist to sort out her problems, who should have sorted them out, but returned her with signs of physical abuse in the form of dents and scratches, not what you would expect from a van therapists let alone California therapists. After 5 visits to the VW therapist she was finally given the correct medication in the form of new software and then lived a much calmer judder free life.
Granny Jen obviously loves living with hers, we didn’t, perhaps it's just a gender thing with Albert being male and SusiBus being female. NEVER AGAIN!

4 MOTION Oh what a joy. Makes life feel really secure both on the black, romantic, twisty, hilly bits, and when you feel like being a little bit more adventurous and investigating paths that you might not otherwise taken and then finding yourself in a sticky situation, you've got the ability to extricate yourself. MUST HAVE OPTION!

Grandad Graham
SusiBus (50 shades of Natural Grey)

ELECTRIC DOOR. Want, want, lust, lust ! It turned out to be like living with a temperamental mistress - not that I know what that's like, or perhaps feel it's better not to post on the forum! When you wanted to creep back into bed late at night, wanting only silence, she would constantly talk with an annoying bleeping sound, which is impossible to turn off. Some nights just as you were getting ready to be tucked up warm in bed, she would go so far, judder, and quickly withdraw back. It could then take several attempts to persuade her to go all the way before you could be warm in bed. She would then require numerous visits to the VW therapist to sort out her problems, who should have sorted them out, but returned her with signs of physical abuse in the form of dents and scratches, not what you would expect from a van therapists let alone California therapists. After 5 visits to the VW therapist she was finally given the correct medication in the form of new software and then lived a much calmer judder free life.
Granny Jen obviously loves living with hers, we didn’t, perhaps it's just a gender thing with Albert being male and SusiBus being female. NEVER AGAIN!

Albert does NOT have a temperamental Mistress! :shocked

Such goings on would never be allowed!

Choice is usually dictated by finance and/or availability. I'm chuffed with my 2010 140bhp SE manual - no regrets about lack of this or that. It does have (useful) parking sensors and I've changed the original head unit for a sat nav one. Nice to have would be MFSW, but don't really miss it. My point is I think the basic Cali is fine (although if buying a Beach I would want the heater). Now that does not mean I would not love a fully loaded 180 DSG 4MOTION etc. etc. on the drive in addition to our other 'normal' cars, but somewhere along the line it comes down to finances, unless of course money is no object. For us, the Cali is our third vehicle used for holidays/weekends away and days out. We have chosen this approach which means running two other cars also. For others it is their main daily drive so they can justify spending what others might spend on another vehicle on a higher specced Cali.
Sorry if I've gone a little off topic but just wanted to make the point that IMO not having the bells and whistles does not spoil the experience - any Cali is great :)

Choice is usually dictated by finance and/or availability. I'm chuffed with my 2010 140bhp SE manual - no regrets about lack of this or that. It does have (useful) parking sensors and I've changed the original head unit for a sat nav one. Nice to have would be MFSW, but don't really miss it. My point is I think the basic Cali is fine (although if buying a Beach I would want the heater). Now that does not mean I would not love a fully loaded 180 DSG 4MOTION etc. etc. on the drive in addition to our other 'normal' cars, but somewhere along the line it comes down to finances, unless of course money is no object. For us, the Cali is our third vehicle used for holidays/weekends away and days out. We have chosen this approach which means:) running two other cars also. For others it is their main daily drive so they can justify spending what others might spend on another vehicle on a higher specced Cali.
Sorry if I've gone a little off topic but just wanted to make the point that IMO not having the bells and whistles does not spoil the experience - any Cali is great

Agree, mine was ex-demo and had everything I wanted and the price was good, it was an 140 and I couldn't be happier. If I drove a 180 I might think differently but there you go.

Off topic but with regards to the MFSW this can be retrofitted by adding the buttons and some coding I believe.

One small suggestion for an improvement is a button that would turn the Cali into an amphibian vehicle for use on lakes, canals, waterways etc. That really would be something extra special.

The problem (not) with having a 180 DSG 4Motion is that nothing compares.
Just love it. 1695 miles in the last 11 days. Quite frankly missing the excitement...

My one main regret is the colour, and its not really a big regret. It was the only Cali available at the time and there wasn't likely to be anymore until the T6. I really would have liked a yellow or blackberry one.

I do wish I had got the awning/canopy when I bought it, but Ill get a second hand one at some point when funds allow.

I did get the 114ps (112ish bhp) and at first I wondered if I should have waited for a 140ps one but with time I no longer worry about it. Its great for cruising and is good on fuel for a big vehicle. For me campers are about a slower pace of life and racing down the motorway at 90mph or zipping away from traffic lights isn't really part of that low stress lifestyle for me. I do worry a little about resale value because of that engine.

Also should have got the rear bumper protector, again oddly since I've now purchased 60quid for a bit of plastic seems expensive and I struggle to justify making the purchase. If i had just put it in with the overall price I'd not have given it so much thought.

As you can see I am clutching at straws, I am pretty happy about the vehicle.

What a great question and what helpful replies.

Placed an order for our first Cali a few weeks ago having read lots of useful posts on this site. As first timers not sure if we have got it right but have gone for the following spec.

2.0TDI 204ps DSG
Mojave Beige
Alcantara
Bluetooth with WLAN
Digital Sound Package
Safe Box
headlamp Wash
Comfort Mattress
Beam Assist
Lights &Vision
Charcoal Filter
Rear Wash Wipe
Privacy Glass
Black AwningShower
ACC + Cruise Control and side Scan
Front and Rear Sensors inc. Camera
Colour Multi Function Display
Discover Media Nav Plus

As a rooky I'm not sure if We have got all We need or indeed have ordered things we don't. It will be fascinating if the same question is posted in a years time what our reply will be. Either way from what we have been reading we will be in for a treat.

We are just about to retire and the plan next year is to have a few local trips to try everything out then take off for a 6 week trip around France. Probably have a few hotel breaks along the way. ( We chose the Cali because it seems so flexible and lends itself to a spell at campsites and then Hotels if necessary)

Any tips will be more than welcome.

We will be attending the meet in Tewkesbury tomorrow (although Cali-less at the moment) and look forward to meeting up with those attending and getting as many tips as possible. We need all the help we can get.

This is a great site for new folks like us and it seems just as good for all you seasoned campaigners.

Cheers to all

Nick S

Hi Nick S
That's a lovely sack of toys you will have with your Cali
When I ordered mine I spent ages wondering.....shall or shall I not!
In the end I thought what the hell is a couple of extras going to make on the overall purchase
after all it make the vehicles more desirable if and when you come to sell
Welcome to the club and look forward to your future posts :)

Alan

Like Granny Jen we bought our California nearly new so someone else had made the choice of options for us.

If we had spec’d our vehicle ourselves, one of the options on the vehicle we bought would have been a must have, and one would not have been considered, but after 2.5 years use we now reversed our opinion.

4 MOTION Oh what a joy. Makes life feel really secure both on the black, romantic, twisty, hilly bits, and when you feel like being a little bit more adventurous and investigating paths that you might not otherwise taken and then finding yourself in a sticky situation, you've got the ability to extricate yourself. MUST HAVE OPTION!

Grandad Graham
SusiBus (50 shades of Natural Grey)
Well Graham, thanks for sorting out the electric door before I took SusiBus away from you in March. :thumb ;) It's been faultless. And the 4motion is great.
Hope you enjoy the t6. If coming up north, contact me. You can have a mini re-union.

Hi Nick S
That's a lovely sack of toys you will have with your Cali
When I ordered mine I spent ages wondering.....shall or shall I not!
In the end I thought what the hell is a couple of extras going to make on the overall purchase
after all it make the vehicles more desirable if and when you come to sell
Welcome to the club and look forward to your future posts :)

Alan
Thanks Alan

My thoughts entirely, went round and round in circles trying to decide but just thought only going to get one chance so in for a penny in for a pound.

As you say it might make things a little easier to sell but hopefully that is a long way in the future.

So looking forward to the experience but will have to be patient as no point in taking delivery until March.

Back