Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Remote Heater Settings?

2CV67

2CV67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
My French Cali came, naturally, with a set of French Manuals.
I have a thick "All versions" User Manual, which gives a lot of detail about using the stationary heating via the Transporter Control Panel, which of course I don't have...
Then there is a thin California Supplement, which gives precious little information about using the stationary heating via the California Control Panel...

I wonder if the UK manuals are better?

Anyway, that means I have been learning about the stationary heating by trial & error.

Basically, I can easily start & stop it via the control panel, and can then set the temperature (or level?) and/or program any future time settings.

My impression (not enough tests to be sure) is that it defaults to starting at a high temperature setting (7 out of 10) at least when starting after a long period without use.
Is that right?

The remote control works well for starting & stopping the heater from a distance (well, so it should...).
But again I have the impression (unconfirmed) that it will usually switch on at level 7 & of course I am not there to set anything lower then.
I would generally be happy for it to start at min (level 1).

So could somebody help with these queries:
- Do UK manuals provide clear instructions?
- Are the 1-10 settings thermostat values or heating power levels, or what?
- What level is set as default when starting via the panel?
- What level is set as default when starting via the remote?
- Do defaults change with use or over time?
- Can these start-up levels be changed as required & if so - how?

Thanks for any help!

Can't answer all your questions, but if you look in the downloads section there are copys of all the UK manuals.

Not sure if the numbers are thermostatic settings, but heater does go on & off & higher settings tend to result in warmer van. Which would suggest thermostatic setting.

Edit.. Just been out & tried my heater. However it is switched on it defaults to the last used temp setting.

Thanks, Andy, for your help.

In the short term (today's tests) mine seems to default to last setting too.
Still think it reverts to 7 after some time or some events though...

I can't access the downloads section yet as I thought I wouldn't get my money's worth as a non-UK resident.
But I just noticed there is an International membership, so maybe I can afford €5.99/year!

Mine also remembers for a bit and then forgets again.. I think it either times out after a while or when the panel is turned off.

I also wonder in the levels of the heater are based on a reading of the inside temperature or if its just set in stone; I.e. if you select 4, it will start every x minutes for y minutes...

frigorifix said:
I also wonder in the levels of the heater are based on a reading of the inside temperature or if its just set in stone; I.e. if you select 4, it will start every x minutes for y minutes...

Now you are getting complicated !!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Well - I am now an International VIP (-€5.99...). :cool:
But I didn't find anything helpful in the downloads section.

I set my heater to level 1 a couple of days ago, then left the van unused.
Today I checked via the control panel & it is back to level 7.

I don't want that!

Do you?

Is there an answer?

Ah...
Somebody on the French Forum has probably hit the nail on the head.

You need to leave the Control Panel "On" if you want to keep your required temperature setting for the next remote start?

Sounds plausible - I will do some further tests over the next few days.
Certainly I leave it on when traveling with fridge & off when at home or using as a car.

Does that fit anybody else's experience?

The handbook actually suggests the remote won't work at all if the Panel is not "On", but mine certainly does.
Just not at the temperature I wanted!

OK - that seems to work.

- Remembers temperature setting as long as the Control Panel is left 'On'.

- Reverts to level 7 as soon as Panel turned 'Off'.

Easy, once you know!