Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removal of Comfort Mattress

Seán Kerr

Seán Kerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I'm expecting delivery of my new Cali in a week's time. I wonder if anyone can confirm if the Comfort Mattress can be removed to create more space when we're not using it for overnights? We have two dogs so the space would be handy for day to day use.

Both matrasses in the top and below can be removed .

I think it depends on what you mean by removed - do you mean removed in a sense of taking away the fold out bit of it and leaving a foam pad in place just in the 'extension' bit on top of the 'parcel shelf' at the back?

If so, I believe you can't - ie it is a one piece item, so you either have it with you or you don't - its basically a slab of foam with 2 folds in it (3 sections).

Probably worth picking up a replacement for such occasions - either an original one being sold second hand (how we bought ours) or an aftermarket version such as in the forum shop. As mentioned above, the entire thing has to be removed you're just left with the metal shelf

If you are looking for a space to put your dogs you will have to remove the Comfort mattress and the moderately substantial metal grid it sits on. Both quite straightforward. The clips nearest the door turn and lock whilst the other two nearer the front slide into place.
I'm not quite sure if you are saying you have the piece of foam that fits on this and makes a level bed when the seat is folded down, or the whole mattress that goes over the seat and the grid to make the bed softer, either way they can be taken out when not required.

We have a Beach and the VW Comfort mattress takes up a lot of valuable space when folded up on top of the Multiflex Board. Most of the time when the vehicle is being used for general duties, both this mattress and the Multiflex board are taken out. However for when we use it for camping, I have considered trialing a large air bed instead of the said mattress. That is, if it will take up the same foot print. If I can find one of that size, it just might be a little more confortable than the rather firm VW Comfort mattress and it would take up a fraction of the space when not inflated. A similar solution could possibly work in the SE/Ocean.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a space to put your dogs you will have to remove the Comfort mattress and the moderately substantial metal grid it sits on. Both quite straightforward. The clips nearest the door turn and lock whilst the other two nearer the front slide into place.
I'm not quite sure if you are saying you have the piece of foam that fits on this and makes a level bed when the seat is folded down, or the whole mattress that goes over the seat and the grid to make the bed softer, either way they can be taken out when not required.
Thanks Simon. The Cali is being supplied with the factory option Comfort Mattress, which I believe folds in two places into three sections, and takes up a fair bit of room. My two dogs are small(ish) as they as Mini Schnauzers so I want them to go on the back shelf so it looks like I'd need a replacement shelf cover.

That kind of thing, yes. There always used to be a 1" Comfortz mattress for sale too that was probably cheaper and allowed you to keep the rear shelf permanently in the upper position even when the bed was made up. Im sure they'd be able to tell you if this is still available
Yes I spotted that here... http://www.comfortzleisure.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_67&product_id=97

They say that, from 10/11/2016, it's sold by the club shop, but it's not there so I've asked the question.

Sean, did you get the 1" mattress topper to replace the comfort mattress ? Thinking of doing the same myself to create more boot space and wondering how you got on.

Sean, did you get the 1" mattress topper to replace the comfort mattress ? Thinking of doing the same myself to create more boot space and wondering how you got on.
Hi Ian

I ended up buying the Brandrup one (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...pad-vw-t5-t6-california-ocean-semoonrock-grey). More expensive but, like all of their stuff, I think the quality is better and looks more OEM than the alternative.

It fits perfectly and the rear metal shelf is really easy to put into the higher holes. I’ll be using it if I’m not staying overnight in the Cali. More room below the shelf and flat platform above for the dog crate to sit on, unlike with the OEM comfort mattress, which is stepped when folded.

I also bought a large storage bag to keep the comfort mattress in when not in use (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N2HPFHA/?tag=eliteelect-21).

Back