Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Remove upstairs bed frame?

stew

stew

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
HI,

Is it possible to remove the slatted wooden frame from upstairs? We never use it since it's much more comfy downstairs. Occurred to me that removing it would be more fuel efficient and also lowering the COG might help with the 'rolly' handling, plus we could store more lighter things like bedding up there.

Caveat, I haven't looked since the bus is traveling...

Thanks.

I saw in a video that VW put the bed frame and mattress in before they put the roof on. It won't fit through the hatch...

Thanks. Even if you could disassemble the slats, the length-wise frame pieces will be too long to fit through the hatch. Need a Jigsaw! ;)

The frame and slats may also contribute to the vehicle strengthening.

If you remove it, then you might need to inform the insurer, and you might find that the vehicle class approval becomes invalid.

Is it really that much of an issue?

The frame and slats may also contribute to the vehicle strengthening.

If you remove it, then you might need to inform the insurer, and you might find that the vehicle class approval becomes invalid.

Is it really that much of an issue?
Good point on the strengthening of the upper bodywork.

No, it is no an issue, it was a curious thought in an idle moment...

Thanks.

I was about to add...When it comes to 'rolly' handling, you may get a lower COG, but any gain would probably be offset by losing a bit of chassis stiffness, with the roof chopped off my whole van seems to flex round corners as it is.

The mattress comes down with no problem - we have a 3 seat beach and use the mattress on the lower bed if we need to sleep downstairs on the odd occasion. If you try to change the upper bed situ you will reduce the appeal and the value - if you want to go round corners quickly get a go-cart

Back