Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing a detachable tow bar

Calicliff

Calicliff

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
After having a rem. tow bar fitted I find I am unable to remove the key when removing the hitch and stowing it away in the storage box. Can someone explain the removal process please.

Hi Cliff
I can't help, but this question has been brought up before
See if you can find it in the search box

Alan

Many thanks for your reply, I did search the posts and a number of posts refer to having an issue removing the key but no one actually describes the process.

I presume you were able to remove the key when the Tow hitch was inserted in the Receiver ?

If so, then the Nurled Knob should be in exactly the same position when the Tow hitch has been removed from the vehicle, otherwise you cannot remove the key. i.e.: Green on Knob opposite Green on Tow hitch.

It can be a little positional when new.

Same for me with a 2015 van. I asked my local dealer and they said that the key stays in.

I did get mine out once with constant fiddling, but no idea how I did it, seems unrepeatable! It's mad that it doesn't fit in the box with the key in it and you can't get the key out!

I did get mine out once with constant fiddling, but no idea how I did it, seems unrepeatable! It's mad that it doesn't fit in the box with the key in it and you can't get the key out!
You got a box with yours?

the tool box under the back seat .. it came with the van (before I had a towbar put on!)

For the key to release when the tow bar is removed from the vehicle the knurled nut needs to return to the tow bar body and not be in the extended position that it needs to be in to fit or remove the tow bar (I'm talking about linear motion here, not rotation; you do both to fit and remove the tow bar).

Just extend and turn the knurled nut the minimum possible distance as you remove the tow bar and let it return (both rotation and extension) as the tow bar starts to release and drop down. It takes a little practice but you can get it to return to the tow bar body.

Then you can turn the key and remove.

You'll need to refit the key and extend to refit when the time comes....

Simon

the tool box under the back seat .. it came with the van (before I had a towbar put on!)
You reckon the tow bar fits in the toolbox? I'm too lazy to go outside now and find out.

In fact, I'm too lazy to bother taking the towbar off at all ..... :confused:

For the key to release when the tow bar is removed from the vehicle the knurled nut needs to return to the tow bar body and not be in the extended position that it needs to be in to fit or remove the tow bar (I'm talking about linear motion here, not rotation; you do both to fit and remove the tow bar).

Just extend and turn the knurled nut the minimum possible distance as you remove the tow bar and let it return (both rotation and extension) as the tow bar starts to release and drop down. It takes a little practice but you can get it to return to the tow bar body.

Then you can turn the key and remove.

You'll need to refit the key and extend to refit when the time comes....

Simon
+1 on this. Takes a little practice, don't turn the release knob all the way, just enough until you feel the tow hitch start to release from the vehicle, then let the know return.
You can then release the key.

The tow hitch should all fit into the black storage unit under the rear seat