Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing kitchen and cupboards

California Bubble

California Bubble

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Good evening.

I need a rust repair doing on the near side rear wheel arch (Underneath the fridge). Having taken it to the body shop today, it’s clear that in order to get a good and proper repair done, all the cupboards and the floor will need to be removed. Has anyone taken the interior out themselves? Is it quite straight forward, or something that should really be left to a professional?

1991 T4 California.
Thanks in advance

CB.

Good evening.

I need a rust repair doing on the near side rear wheel arch (Underneath the fridge). Having taken it to the body shop today, it’s clear that in order to get a good and proper repair done, all the cupboards and the floor will need to be removed. Has anyone taken the interior out themselves? Is it quite straight forward, or something that should really be left to a professional?

1991 T4 California.
Thanks in advance

CB.
Don’t know if this will help.

Select Campmobile.
Select year of vehicle.
Select Accessories.

Scroll down and you will see exploded views of the interior fittings.

Thanks WG.
That’s a really good reference. It’d be interesting to know if anyone has any first hand experience, but I guess it’s not often these things are removed fortunately.

As seen at the factory the kitchen is fitted as a one piece assembly. Removal is not a simple exercise.

As seen at the factory the kitchen is fitted as a one piece assembly. Removal is not a simple exercise.
Different kitchen etc; in the 1994 California. Originally built by Westfalia but sold by VW.

It's feasable and just a case of carefully unscrewing everything. Just had to remove my interior to put in a new floor, but my interior is different (cali exclusive); there are videos on utube however, like
and

That’s really handy! Thanks!
Here’s the rust spot I’m trying to reach. Does that look like usual wear and tear, or could something possibly be leaking from the fridge?

1285999C-AE09-44B7-90A0-703A865E1E1B.jpeg

mmh, that doesn't look fresh :) I personally never heard of leaking fridges, I would check the floor and the sink/grey water tank, but above all have a good check of your wheel arch - could be just rust coming trough from outside. In that case there's only one good solution at this stage: cut and replace... Luckily, plenty of replacement panels on the market. Good luck!

Last edited:
Looks like just the rear wardrobe section needs removing to me. Not a five minute job but not the end of the world.

That’s really handy! Thanks!
Here’s the rust spot I’m trying to reach. Does that look like usual wear and tear, or could something possibly be leaking from the fridge?

View attachment 76763
That's the wheel arch. What's the other side of the wheel arch like? If it's not rusted externally then that could be due to liquid internally, over time as it looks like surface rust.
What's under the black floor covering?

Externally the wheel arch looks in great shape.
I’ve checked the fresh water supply for leaks and I can’t see any, so I’m not entirely sure where the moisture is coming from. All underneath the van in that area looks good too. The immediate area around the rust spot is dry, however the small piece of carpet by the sliding seat/bed rail is wet, feels slightly greasy, and smells metallic (Picture attached). Again, I can’t see how or why that would be wet, but above the carpet on the left hand edge of the grille is starting to rust too. It doesn’t appear that I can investigate further without taking the floor out to see if there’s anything under there coming up from underneath.

On another note. I’m getting the run - beep - run from my fridge, and from flicking through the forums suspect the controller. + Sidepod, I see you once had a spare one. If you still have it would it be something you’d let me test on mine to confirm the controller as failed? PM me if you wish.

Thanks everyone for your input. I’m not mechanically gifted, so please excuse what may seem dumb questions!

CB.

2EE5A514-70FF-486D-9D9E-B1BE8DC58CCF.jpeg

219A055B-2674-4FCB-9F09-920EBCB6BF8E.jpeg

Sounds like the fridge compressor is leaking to me.They have oil in them and are prone to leaking.
I do have a spare controller you’re welcome to borrow. I’d check the compressor first. It’s the big black chamber under the fridge. Check the pipes in and out for leaks. Simple fix. Whip the fridge out and get it off to Penguin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Sidepod, much appreciated.
I’ll have a good look at the pipes for leaks and give you a shout if need be. I’ve been in touch with Penguin. I think as a matter of course it may be worth them going over the whole fridge to make sure, even if it is only the controller, the rest of the fridge is in tip top condition.

Sidepod.

Could you please drop me a PM. I don’t appear to be able to start a conversation with you. Thanks!

CB.

Back