Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing lid of water tank to clean it

S

Sally Mullard

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
hi,

Any tips on how to remove the cleaning opening cap - it's shut so tight that I can't shift it at all.

Thanks (and sorry if this is a very basic question!)

James

It will be tight. The best way is remove the shelf in the back wardrobe
Where the gas bottle is kept then find a piece of wood place it in one of the grooves on the lid and tap round with a rubber mallet.

If you are opening the tank to have a good scrub around then unless you are very, very careful you are likely to damage the pump and the level gauge.
Most people just sterilise the tank with a weak Milton Solution. The same stuff used to sterilise baby bottles. They do this by filling the tank the normal way with the addition of the Milton. Then run some trough the tap into the waste tank. Go fo a drive then empty out and flush through with fresh water. Once a year should be enough if the tank is left empty when not in use.

Have you dropped something in the water tank, or are you just doing a spring clean. If the latter then I think most of use just half fill the tank with water - drop in a few Milton sterilising tablets and then go for a drive to slosh the water around.

I tried opening our water tank once to check the pump and still couldn't do it with the Kev approved wood and hammer method :)

Think I must have been typing at the same time as WelshGas :-D

I opened mine with the block of wood method and it took some doing but it worked. I shall make sure it won't be too tight when I put it back. Just waiting for winter to finally leave before I refill and test my pump as I forgot to drain tank in winter!

I myself tried everything and at last being completely despaired, constructed this: (which helped immediately)

the lid opener.jpg

I used the Kev approved technique. I worked out you need quite a pointy bit of wood and make sure the end is right in the angle of one of the vanes, or they just bend. That said I only removed it so I know how to if I need to, and use the generally approved Milton method each time we use the van - and we do drink from the tank. All being well it'll never come off again.

hi,

Any tips on how to remove the cleaning opening cap - it's shut so tight that I can't shift it at all.

Thanks (and sorry if this is a very basic question!)

James

James,
I had to remove the cap when the float level stopped working. Best trick I discovered was opening the water cap outside first (where you put the water in). That relieved the pressure and it opened very easily after that. Hope that works for you. Laurent

Hi guys,

I have some trouble with my fresh water, nothing comes out of the tap, but the pump is making a sound.

Two (stupid) questions:

1. Do I turn the lid clockwise to open, or counter clockwise?

2. Can one of you please take a picture and post of the wood block you are using? I am a bit confused about what it would look like...:talktothehand

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I have some trouble with my fresh water, nothing comes out of the tap, but the pump is making a sound.

Two (stupid) questions:

1. Do I turn the lid clockwise to open, or counter clockwise?

2. Can one of you please take a picture and post of the wood block you are using? I am a bit confused about what it would look like...:talktothehand

Thanks!

1. Anti-clockwise.
2. Block of wood with end shaped like this < . Technique as described by skinnywhippet 3 posts above making sure you put the point at the bottom of the 'webs' on the cap so as not to bend/break them.

There's no reason why you couldn't make an opening tool like Andresz' out of wood and a couple of bolts or dowels though.

Thanks, but there was no way that would open - no matter how much knocking or fine wood work. I'm buying the correct tool... :talktothehand

Semi-related topic.

Has anyone else experienced the water level showing half tank, even though it's empty? Could be related issues I guess...

The pump magically started working again, could have been just too little water.

I think I'll just keep the lid on, for now.

The shop for the tool didn't ship to Norway anyway.

I've had half full when full but not the other way around.o_O

Ok... I just read the manual. It clearly says open lid CLOCKWISE and not "Anti-clockwise" lol... I have been slamming on that poor thing the wrong way, cursing my head off. Oh well.

Lesson of the day? Read the f****** manual. Sorry, I suck.

No definitely anti-clockwise to open, unless the clocks go in the opposite direction in Norway ;-) Hitting it would not open mine had to make a tool, even then it was very tight!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You are correct, it says "turning to the left", which is sort of confusing.

It's like any other bottle then, which makes sense.

Oh well, thanks!

20150507_0833472.jpg

It is also better from the back remove the shelf from the rear cupboard covering the gas bottle and you will be able to get a better purchase on the lid

Hi all,

Having "water problems" too.
Checked to tap switch, that seems to work (I measured it).
Fuse seems to be OK.
There is no sound at all, so the pump is not working.
Tried to take out the pump, but it rotates very difficult. Might have only done half a turn. I'm using abwrench for that.
On the above picture, which part must bu unscrewed?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused on how to unscrew this water tank lid.
I've made about 3 rotations counter-clockwise (so the normal way to unscrew something).
There's a lot of friction when rotating it, but still won't come off after these 3 rotations.
Am I doing something wrong?

I've added a picture of the lid. I've been turning the inner one. Or should it be the outer one?

Thanks for the help.

Waterlid.png

It is defenatly the outer one , biggest , it has a rubber seal so thats why it is so tidy..with friction.
The inner cap,small, holds the levelgauge.

Back