Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing slim seat drawer when packing skis?

D

DonOregano

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,

I am currently speccing my T6 Cali, and I am wondering about the slim drawer option. It seems like a really handy drawer, but in winter I will likely want to take it out, so that I can put skis through there.
Is this possible and/or easy? Or should I skip the drawer completely?

(Not really interested in the net, so that does not factor into the decision)

Thanks!

I don’t have the draw, but wished I did. Seems like a waste of space not having it

Yes, I agree. But I think I would be very annoyed if I weren't able to put skis down there when just taking off for a weekend. Putting the roof rack on etc seems a hassle...

Maybe it is possible to modify the drawer to make it easier to take out, if it is secured with screws by default?

I added the draw after I had our SE for a few months. While the installation of the drawer bordered on an epic diy job that involves removing the bench seat, I don’t think it would be that hard to remove the draw - although fiddlely. All it requires is the removal of a couple of screws that secures the drawer to the runners. The runners would then stay in place. Well, at least that is how it is on mine but I cannot guarantee that the drawer is installed as it would be if factory fitted.

Hi,

I am currently speccing my T6 Cali, and I am wondering about the slim drawer option. It seems like a really handy drawer, but in winter I will likely want to take it out, so that I can put skis through there.

Thanks!

Skip the drawer and save it for your skis.

Mike

I added the draw after I had our SE for a few months. While the installation of the drawer bordered on an epic diy job that involves removing the bench seat, I don’t think it would be that hard to remove the draw - although fiddlely. All it requires is the removal of a couple of screws that secures the drawer to the runners. The runners would then stay in place. Well, at least that is how it is on mine but I cannot guarantee that the drawer is installed as it would be if factory fitted.

That is strange? The installation should be a 15 min job? I mounted two and it is literally only a few screws. Did you use the guide in the VIP section here?

But like Ken says: If you want to take out the drawer, you just remove the two small screws in the drawer (on lock each slider in place) and pull firmly forward-up. The sliders will stay in place. Removing these will take 2-3 screw per slider to remove. And the stopper is another screw and the complete drawer is removed.

That is strange? The installation should be a 15 min job? I mounted two and it is literally only a few screws. Did you use the guide in the VIP section here?

Yep, certainly did. The issue was in relation to removing a seized bolt that was there initially. Limited space and limited available tooling lead to high frustrations, several hours of swearing, and then a realisation that the only way forward was to remove the seat (an interesting activity in itself). Once removed, I had the offending bolt free within about 20sec.

More a reflection on my technical capacity than the difficulty of the installation

But like Ken says: If you want to take out the drawer, you just remove the two small screws in the drawer (on lock each slider in place) and pull firmly forward-up. The sliders will stay in place. Removing these will take 2-3 screw per slider to remove. And the stopper is another screw and the complete drawer is removed.

This sounds a bit more promising. I think I will order the drawer and work from there. I kinda like the look with the drawer in place

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Hi,

Thanks!
How long are your skis?

I get a ski bag with 180cm skis in between the driver and passenger seat. It does prevent the bed being used downstairs unless you put them outside. The drawer is useful storage for the rest of the year.

My back country skis are 185 cm. But I have tall friends as well...