Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing the bed

D

Dave Wickham

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
In the manual it says to remove the 2 seater bed, first remove the front and middle covers from the outer seat rails, then unscrew the stopper from the third rail (the one closest to the kitchen unit). How do you remove this rail cover as I tried and it won't budge without brute force and then no doubt I'll break it? Any ideas? See attached photo.
Also, the supplement manual states pop up roof max load is 50Kg - I assume this is the external roof load on the roof rails, NOT the load on the upper roof bed? I sometimes sleep up there and I weigh almost 95kgs. Thanks to all who have the answers.

Cali Rails.jpg

You can remove the silver rail covers on both sides, they are designed to slide out and then the clip releases them when they reach the front of the rail

Maybe you mean these as 'rail covers'

yes you have to clip these out.

IMG_6078.JPG

Maybe you mean these as 'rail covers'

yes you have to clip these out.

View attachment 66178
The original poster doesn't have those small removable trims, after T6 (i think thats when it changed) the whole section at the end of the trim comes off, you can just make out the join line in his photo.

So first remove front cover , then you should be able to get under the middle covers to flip them up.I believe it is still a hing like action, with them pivoting around the outer edge.

That’s useful
Can the rubbers be replaced easily by pulling out at the front?
Mine have been damaged

The original poster doesn't have those small removable trims, after T6 (i think thats when it changed) the whole section at the end of the trim comes off, you can just make out the join line in his photo.

So first remove front cover , then you should be able to get under the middle covers to flip them up.I believe it is still a hing like action, with them pivoting around the outer edge.
Thanks for the info.
I would have been wondering why he was struggling, my posts above are
of no help at all, didn't know it had changed. :headbang
Sorry for the confusion Dave.

That’s useful
Can the rubbers be replaced easily by pulling out at the front?
Mine have been damaged
If you mean the front grey ones, yes- they are designed to be popped in & out, if you have a fifth seat you remove them to put that seat in or out.

Are you sure you want to take that seat out? it supposedly weighs an awful lot 100kg?
When i got to the part where he was asking about the max
roof weight i thought he was gonna put the bench seat on the roof :)

Are you sure you want to take that seat out? it supposedly weighs an awful lot 100kg?
100kg is probably conservative and it’s awkward because by the time it’s far enough forwards to come out it’s right up against the front seats. I would say a job for a minimum of 3 strong people.
I’d be surprised if the black rubber is available as a separate part, probably comes with the rails but I could be wrong.

Remove the front plastic covers.
One at a time slide the rails forward to the void where the plastic covers were. They will just fall out.

The roof rack weight limit is 50 Kg.

The roof bed weight limit is 150 Kg.

100kg is probably conservative and it’s awkward because by the time it’s far enough forwards to come out it’s right up against the front seats. I would say a job for a minimum of 3 strong people.
I’d be surprised if the black rubber is available as a separate part, probably comes with the rails but I could be wrong.
Thanks, I only wanted to get full access to thoroughly clean the floor behind the bed seat - I have now done this from the rear of the van with the mattress support removed. I agree, taking the seat out would not be a smart thing to do!!

I quite agree it’s definitely a two strong man lift. I took mine out move a sofa and got it stuck in the front position, had to take the driver seat out to release! - haven’t attempted to remove again

Back