Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

removing the drawer under the bench seat

R

Randwick

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have a problem with the catch that releases the drawer under the bench (2010 California).
Is there a way of getting the drawer out so I can see what's causing the problem?
Thanks

With the drawer open (hope this isn't your problem) look for 2 small self tapping screws on the drawer bottom about 3 inches from the front edge. Undo these and the drawer will lift off the runners. Don't think this will get you much more access to the catch mechanism though. Good luck

Thanks very much. I'll try that and if I discover any more I'll let you know

You should also be able to lift the seat base if you haven't already? It is hinged at the front so you lift it from the rear.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is also a small hole on the seat base that you can access from the side (the sliding door side..) from memory, you can pop a screwdriver in and that operates the release mechanism. I *may* have just made all that up but I'm sure I've read it somewhere - and even seen the hole!!!

I think that putting a screwdriver or other similar size bar the hole Californiaman is referring to will fix the sliding mechanism in the released position. You need to do this is taking the bench seat out of the vehicle.
I can't lift the seat cushion more than about 30deg. It then is either stopped by a webbing strap or because the front edge fouls the trim.

Try removing the trim, the seat squab will then lift. I think from memory the trim can be removed, it is held in place with clips

John

With the drawer open (hope this isn't your problem) look for 2 small self tapping screws on the drawer bottom about 3 inches from the front edge. Undo these and the drawer will lift off the runners. Don't think this will get you much more access to the catch mechanism though. Good luck

I finally tried removing the drawer today and your post let me solve the problem.
The left hand catch that holds the drawer in was misaligned - with the drawer out and the front plastic trim removed I could see the problem. The black plastic lever on the right-hand side moves the right-hand catch and the left-hand catch via a hollow rod - the left hand catch was loose - it is held in place and tensioned by a bolt at the right-hand end of the rod. Problem solved. Thanks Owen.

My drawer wouldn't open but by putting the seats down and getting into the space behind I got my arm into the drawer and using a torch to see disengaged the catch nearest the door. The problem is that the two catches left and right facing the drawer need to be pitched equally so they both open with the lever on RHS. The two catches are joined by a rod. What happens is that the two catches can become out of line and then only one disengages when the lever is pulled up. The reason for this seems to be that the right hand side catch is fixed on with an allen key tightened nut and that nut has loosened. When I loosened this nut further the Lhs catch (which is sprung.. see photo above) assumed a position at right angles to the other side. I am hoping that after a cup of tea and with the correct allen key I can tighten RHS enough to hold both in the correct position i.e. aligned with each other? It seems odd that this can be the only thing (friction) holding it in position though, ? Any advice before I proceed?

Back