A

AlanC

Traveling
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Oh fonts of all knowledge...

I am wanting to remove the rear bumper on my 2010 SE in order to swap a fixed swan neck tow bar (which I consistently walk into :sad) for a removable one.

So today I was able to remove the rear lights and the trim below these on each side. Then removed the clips holding the bumper to a sub frame on each side. Two screws in the rear wheel arch on each side were removed as were the mud flap bolts. I also located and released the 3 straps underneath the bumper.

Then it all ground to a halt, as I couldn't figure out what was holding the bumper to the van across the back.

Pulling off the door seal revealed no fixings and although I discovered the leading edge of the bumper on each side was located on two studs in the wheel arch, easing these off still didn't help. According to Parts Base there doesn't appear to be any screws across there, just a clip system below the tailgate opening.

As I didn't want to damage anything, I stopped there and put it all back.

So, has anyone done this and if so can you shed any light on the fixing across the back of the van below the tailgate and how to release it.

Many thanks

Alan

It sounds from your description like you have got all the fixings to me. Although I thought there were more than 3 underneath attaching to the underbody trim, could well be wrong here as its about 2.5 years since I removed mine. (to fit a hook up point)
From memory each side has a slide so the bumper needs to be pulled straight back to remove. If you have parking sensors they & the wiring loom will need to be unclipped.
Will see if I've got any photos of it removed.

Found some notes I made at the time.
There are 3 bolts in each rear wheel arch. Two are visable but to get to the 3rd you need to pull the wheel arch liner back to get at it. Its higher up than the easy to spot 2.

Found some notes I made at the time.
There are 3 bolts in each rear wheel arch. Two are visable but to get to the 3rd you need to pull the wheel arch liner back to get at it. Its higher up than the easy to spot 2.

I only found 2 Torx screws on the surface of the wheel arch liners each side, so if there is a hidden one, that may well account for the stubbornness of the bumper to removal. I will have another look.

Thanks Owen

Alan

The third one is hidden behind the liner, only accessible after the 2 on the surface have been removed. The edge of the liner doesn't need to be pulled back very far, just enough to get your torx screwdriver in. There is enough flexibility in the liner plastic to pull it out of the way.
Any problems let me know and I will take a photo.
Owen

Back