Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing the side awning brackets

spiderstu

spiderstu

VIP Member
I have a bit of a puzzle and hoping someone out there has the solution.

I have removed our side awning. I'm struggling to remove the front side awning bracket from the van. The bolt hole mounting point at the rear is preventing me from sliding the bracket off the rail, and the same is true at the front of the Cali too. (the rear bracket slid off no problems).

Video below shows the issue.

The bolt that holds the awning in the rail appears to be non-removable, the rear square nut is fused to the bolt, so I can't loosen or remove it. The more I tilt the bracket to get it to clear the mounting point, it tightens it in the rail.

Would be very grateful for any advice from the wise.

The nut that holds the awning to the rail needs a splined bit to remove it. I’m not sure what size you need though, but you can get them from Halfords in a set that you may never use again.

I have a bit the right size and shape for the bolt that holds the bracket to the rail, but I’ve only been able to loosen it, not remove it completely, as I think the square nut on the other side is welded to the bolt (to make it a sliding fixture rather than one that gets removed). I could attempt to force the nut from the bolt, but may well damage the bolt.

By the way, the nut and bold from the rear bracket appeared the same I.e. were fused.

Have you had experience removing the bolt?

There is a video on the forum showing the removal of the bracket I’m hoping this will link to it.

I did remove the brackets a couple of times. You should be able to unscrew the bolt completely until it comes off. Then, without the bracket, screw it back in in the square nut to help it slide out of the rail.

The square nut does come undone yours must be seized up wd40

That square nut in the track seized on mine, so much so that the
corners rounded off a bit and was just spinning round and round.

Luckily I was able to slide it out... With a struggle, once out, I got the
angle grinder on it and cut it off, I then made some stainless steel
square nuts, I didn't want to replace with the same.

So if you do get it off, you might want to consider a different nut, or just make sure
they are released more often and grease them a bit.

Thanks, I’ll give some WD40 and muscle a go.

By the way, I have three long bolts and three short bolts. Which go in the front bracket and which in the back? I didn’t take enough notice when I removed them :(

Thanks, I’ll give some WD40 and muscle a go.

By the way, I have three long bolts and three short bolts. Which go in the front bracket and which in the back? I didn’t take enough notice when I removed them :(
Longer ones with smaller deeper heads on the front and shorter ones with wider rounded heads on the back

Just offer the screws in without the bracket and you will
see where the long ones go.

Here's the rust free ones that I made for mine, guaranteed for about 500yrs

IMG_2123.PNG

Did you use any washers on the nut. Ive just noticed my bolts have pulled through the aluminium awning mounts and now i need to take them off and add washers

Back