Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Repeated airbag failures am I just unlucky saga another has failed

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
2011 T5.1 cali
I am plagued by endlessly getting airbag warning light and faulty airbag igniter issues
2013 replaced under warranty
2015 had to pay for one no warranty
2016 another replacement, warranty as failed part
2018 another replacement had to pay again
Oct 2020 another failure replaced under warranty as faulty part again
Aug 2021 guess what - bloody airbag warning light just come on again!!!!
Is faulty airbags an issue thats escaped notice? Or am I just unlucky?
Back to dealer for another wrangle about whats going on with replacement airbags seemingly dying after a year or so!
(PS to save anyone asking all the other common reasons why light comes on these have been looked into but each time verdict is a failed airbag igniter)

Have they checked / replaced the airbag clock spring in the steering wheel? Sorry to ask but it’s worth replacing in case (I’ve just ordered one, about £30).

Can you tell me what this is / does .... and if it's something I should raise with dealer when it goes in...

2011 T5.1 cali
I am plagued by endlessly getting airbag warning light and faulty airbag igniter issues
2013 replaced under warranty
2015 had to pay for one no warranty
2016 another replacement, warranty as failed part
2018 another replacement had to pay again
Oct 2020 another failure replaced under warranty as faulty part again
Aug 2021 guess what - bloody airbag warning light just come on again!!!!
Is faulty airbags an issue thats escaped notice? Or am I just unlucky?
Back to dealer for another wrangle about whats going on with replacement airbags seemingly dying after a year or so!
(PS to save anyone asking all the other common reasons why light comes on these have been looked into but each time verdict is a failed airbag igniter)
Which airbag? , and is it the same one each time?

This is not something mentioned frequently on the Forum, certainly not a failure.

There have been some reports of the passenger seat airbag warning being triggered by turning of the seat. Fixed by lengthening the wiring under the seat.

Can you tell me what this is / does .... and if it's something I should raise with dealer when it goes in...

It’s basically a ribbon connector in the steering wheel that allows electrical connections to the airbag / horn / multifunction buttons to be maintained whilst the steering wheel is turned. Symptoms of failure are generally airbag light on and / or horn not working. It’s quite a common VW group fault.

both airbags take it in turn to fail ....
dealer says fault codes show airbag ingniter each time but will also ask them about the cable under seat thing, though turning seat does not seem to be a trigger for light , it does it randomly, sometimes whilst driving when seat not touched...

dealer says fault codes show airbag ingniter each time but will also ask them about the cable under seat thing, though turning seat does not seem to be a trigger for light , it does it randomly, sometimes whilst driving when seat not touched...
There are 4 airbags in the cabin.
Each seat has one on the outer side, one in steering wheel and one in front dashboard on passenger side.

I get it a couple of times a year. VW wanted to spend hrs investigating at a cost - ours is usually by turning seats or loose wiring (igniter under passenger seat?). I just use my Carista App to reset now. Let us know how yours gets solved.

ah..I know driver seat ones has been done once and passenger seat twice (2018 / 2020) but not sure about the other times ...

Update 10th Sept
Well finally bus went to dealer fault code showed passenger igniter. (last one fitted in Oct 2019 now on 4th in 10 years)
However they stripped and checked control panel and looked at cable under seat b4 replacing to check for other issues - no issue. VW UK and Germany contacted by dealer they could not care less (no change there) said its 10 years old not their problem.
So have had to pay 30% of cost for new airbag and checking other stuff (dealer standing 70%). Not happy but need bus. Apparently VW dont warranty stuff unless a customer paid something (sounds well iffy).
Dealer has actually been very good and tried but VW not interested. But as I paid something this time I now get 2 years warranty so lets hope it does not fail again in Nov 2022!!!!
Cant find anyone on here with repeated airbag fault / fail that has no fix like cable etc so have no idea whats going on
Maybe I should have stuck with a Split - at least I can fix them or get someone to do so - but then again I wont be allowed one on roads soon or else engine will blow up / catch fire due to E10
oh brave new world...

Finally got around to having the new clock spring fitted. The fault code which came up was passive / sporadic airbag igniter - resistance too high. My local chap fitted the new clock spring and the fault cleared. £27 for the part from Autodoc and an hours time for my local garage at £45 + VAT who I used because of the diagnostics kit required.

Three weeks in with new replacement and airbag failure message / light AGAIN!!!!
Dealer checked all the above and basically fault code and tests show ANOTHER faultyu airbag so are replacing it!!! again ....
aaghhhh

Back