Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replace gas struts when adding VW bike rack to T6?

Detritus

Detritus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

When I was looking at vans I was told by one dealer that if I purchased a cali with the VW bike rack option selected then they would replace the gas struts with uprated ones to cope with the extra weight. However I've just asked the garage that I've actually ordered an ex demo from and they have said that they don't do this and in fact they've never heard of anyone replacing the gas struts? Have other people had the gas struts replaced as part of fitting the bike rack?

Thanks,

Jez

I have been into that subject once.

I found out the are two different gas struts. The make number below it the stronger one. My former T5 was mounted with the stronger struts, but still it had difficulties lifting the door even without the bikerack ( I had the windscreen protection and the Calitopper stashed with the chairs). And If you have the strong ones, it gets a job to close the door even without the rack.

My conclusion was that, there are two kind for the car. One for the lighter door on the Transporter, and one for the heavier (due to the chairs, etc) on the Cali.

Some have a stick in handy, when they need to keep the door open with the bikes on the rack.

IMG_3619.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @Kmann. I'll try to remember the garage I spoke to who said they would change them and find out what they change them to (and from) - I wonder which of those numbers in the picture is significant?

It's a Cali so from your info it sounds like it already comes with uprated struts. Has anyone else had their gas struts replaced when having the bike rack fitted to a T6 Cali beach? Or can anyone who had the bike rack fitted as an option please compare the numbers on their struts to @Kmann's?

Thanks,

Jez

Thanks for the reply @Kmann. I'll try to remember the garage I spoke to who said they would change them and find out what they change them to (and from) - I wonder which of those numbers in the picture is significant?

It's a Cali so from your info it sounds like it already comes with uprated struts. Has anyone else had their gas struts replaced when having the bike rack fitted to a T6 Cali beach? Or can anyone who had the bike rack fitted as an option please compare the numbers on their struts to @Kmann's?

Thanks,

Jez
I have just bought a bike rack and when I enquired about different gas struts I was informed that the van was already fitted with uprated struts. I believe this is correct as I have always found the tailgate very difficult to close. The bike rack does make a big difference but the ease of closure is now what I would consider to be normal (not stiff). I will check the PN on the struts tomorrow.

Last edited:
You can check the weight limit on the struts, if it is 1250 Nm (as in the picture above) or more then you are fine. It is stated in the manual for the bike rack. This will hold 2 mountain bikes but not alot more.

My experience is in line with JohnnyP. We were told that all T6 Calis have the higher rated struts and that no upgrade is available beyond those already fitted (the upgrade being for vans with a tailgate rather than calis. Indeed, we now have a T5 style bike rack (thanks Steve at SMG) on the tailgate and we can finally close it without dangling from the end of the tailgate.

Correct, the 1250 struts are the high rated ones
Mine....on a t5 Cali, will hold two bikes, but not 3 or 4, so I have a pole I stick under the tailgate when we have 3 bikes on.
I did chat to a gas strut expert, who can increase the pressure if I wanted, but that it would be then difficult to close with no bikes.....he didn't recommend it
Note that they seem to be more powerful when it is hot

I wondered if that was possible too - but then couldn't help wondering if further uprated struts would put too much strain on the mounting points - has anyone done it?

I was hoping to have a spare wheel mounted on the rear in place of a bike rack so that is likely to equal 2-3 bikes..

Just checked and the struts have the 1250Nm marking on the side.

How much is a new set of struts? In anticipation of an early failure.

Thanks for the response everyone! Now just got to decide if I go for the new T6 rack or the T5 style

Thanks for the response everyone! Now just got to decide if I go for the new T6 rack or the T5 style
I think there is a 51.9% / 48.1% split within the forum for that issue

Haha I have been considering getting a bike rack to add weight to help me close the tail gate. I'm not a waif by any means and am in the gym when not walking the dogs, so definitely not a wimp, but wowzers, that tailgate takes some closing (especially when only 5'3" and you are left dangling on the end praying it will come down and hoping no-one around is recording it...)

Haha I have been considering getting a bike rack to add weight to help me close the tail gate. I'm not a waif by any means and am in the gym when not walking the dogs, so definitely not a wimp, but wowzers, that tailgate takes some closing (especially when only 5'3" and you are left dangling on the end praying it will come down and hoping no-one around is recording it...)
No bike rack either, it's quite a haul down overcoming the initial resistance, doesn't help that I have a knackered shoulder as well, awaiting rotator cuff op

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't you get weaker gas struts? The ones on the California are to lift the tailgate + bicycle rack. They could be replaced with lower pressure struts as on the Transporter or something in between.

We've had our T5 Cali a couple of weeks and will have to get a bike rack fitted as I'm in danger of giving myself a hernia trying to pull the door down and I'm a 5'8" female, so not short. Even my husband who is over 6' is avoiding opening the boot unnecessarily as it takes so much effort to close it and we just have the standard Cali gas struts.

So as others have said you should be fine with the standard struts.

No bike rack either, it's quite a haul down overcoming the initial resistance, doesn't help that I have a knackered shoulder as well, awaiting rotator cuff op

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why don't you get weaker gas struts? The ones on the California are to lift the tailgate + bicycle rack. They could be replaced with lower pressure struts as on the Transporter or something in between.

Thanks guys - great tips - I'm still considering getting a bike rack - and in the meantime will keep going to the gym and then amusing nearby campers...

I should have read a bit more before posting ........ I see you're having a similar issue with the door.

We should see if our local van centre will do a deal on two bike racks ;). The van we hired from them had a rack and I'd no problems with it and of course you have the added bonus of a very useful drying rack.

I have a t6 panel van with tailgate, and have bought a vw bikerack. I'm looking for some uprated struts, and would behappy to do a swap if anyone is interested. 07880654086 Ed

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Do these struts lose their gas over time? On our 2010 California we could swear they have got less supportive since we bought the van?

Do these struts lose their gas over time? On our 2010 California we could swear they have got less supportive since we bought the van?
They can and also their lifting capability varies with the ambient temperature.