Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replace water pump?

N

Nansvan

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I have a 2011 California, do about 6,000 miles per year. My service due in March includes a cambelt change and I have been asked if I want the water pump changed as well. Is this really necessary or is it OK to wait until there looks like a problem and then deal with it? There doesn't seem to be any problems in that area at the moment. Any thoughts appreciated.

Totally yes. Replacement of just the relatively cheap water pump is a big labour job (most of which is the same work as the cambelt, hence why they are done together). Also the pump can fail with consequences just as severe as the cambelt failing.

Different pressure applied on bearings of old water pump with new belt tension usually lead to bearing failure so it’s a no brainer.
Note- labour should be minimal for water pump Replacment at same time as belt, get them to throw that in foc and just pay for the part. (Pump)

I have a 2011 California, do about 6,000 miles per year. My service due in March includes a cambelt change and I have been asked if I want the water pump changed as well. Is this really necessary or is it OK to wait until there looks like a problem and then deal with it? There doesn't seem to be any problems in that area at the moment. Any thoughts appreciated.
As has been said the likelihood of the water pump bearing failing after the new Cambelt is high and then you’ll have to pay for a 2nd Cambelt as it has to be removed too replace the water pump. The cost is minimal. This is what I paid + VAT at a main Dealer in Nov 2018.
84114E23-FD32-4C98-AD12-06AA6227E610.jpeg

Back