Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement beam deflectors

Detritus

Detritus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
hi,

I have the headlight protectors for my Cali and used the deflector stickers last year for going to France. I need a new set for this year but can't find them online anywhere! Anyone know where I can buy some from?

Thanks,

Jez

You can get then on the ferry.

Hundreds for sale on Amazon.

Where do you position the deflectors on the head lights. 2016 ocean, standard lights.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I have heard this before, what is the reason?
I might google translate the reason and save on my phone incase I get stopped by a Gendarme !

I might google translate the reason and save on my phone incase I get stopped by a Gendarme !
One of the notes on my phone :-

LED Lights

This vehicle has LED lights which have been adjusted in the computer software to deflect them so that they are lawful in France.

Ce véhicule a des lumières LED qui ont été ajustés dans le logiciel informatique pour les détourner afin qu'ils soient licites en France.

My French is poor.

Mike

I only have the H7 bulbs,what is the reason for them not requiring deflectors?

From the VW Workshop manual:
1.7.1 Converting headlights from driving on right to driving on left, H4 headlights
If an RHD vehicle is driven in a left-traffic country, or vice versa, the headlights do not need to be adapted in any way.

1.7.2 Converting headlights from driving on right to driving on left, H7 headlights
If an RHD vehicle is driven in a left-traffic country, or vice versa, the headlights do not need to be adapted in any way.

1.7.3 Converting headlights from driving on right to driving on left, LED headlights

If a right-hand drive vehicle is driven in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, the headlights must be converted. This is necessary in order to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic with the asymmetric low beam headlights.
  • The adjustment for driving on the left to driving on the right or vice versa (travel mode) is carried out in the dash panel insert using the menu.

Last edited:
Thanks @Loz I'd not seen it in writing previously.

Didn't even think about it last time, one of those little differences that's been forgotten about - like one-year cardboard Visitor Passports and painting your headlamps yellow :D

Wow, thanks all! My assumption was that I needed the replacement vw stickers to align with the markings on the headlight protectors.

How do I tell if I have H4 or H7 lights and therefore don't even need stickers? It's a 16 plate T6 Beach - the list of options the dealer sent me (it was a demo vehicle) included:

16. Equipment packages
-[8WH] Front fog lamps with cornering function
[Z4A] Lights & Vision package
-[8K3] Auto headlamp activation with separate daytime running lights Leaving Home and manual Coming Home function
-[4L6] Breakaway interior rear view mirror, auto-dimming
-[8N3] Wiper intermittent control with rain sensor for windshield wipers

Does that indicate either way?

Thanks,

Jez

I don't know if it's all, but my 'standard' headlamps on 2016 Beach were H4 when I upgraded them. There's a long thread about it somewhere recently.

From the VW Workshop manual:
1.7.1 Converting headlights from driving on right to driving on left, H4 headlights

1.7.2 Converting headlights from driving on right to driving on left, H7 headlights

1.7.3 Converting headlights from driving on right to driving on left, LED headlights

If a right-hand drive vehicle is driven in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, the headlights must be converted. This is necessary in order to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic with the asymmetric low beam headlights.
  • The adjustment for driving on the left to driving on the right or vice versa (travel mode) is carried out in the dash panel insert using the menu.
I think you will find this is a printing error - its states the opposite to what is actually required. As discussed before, drive up to a wall with the headlights on, if the light kicks up on the left you need deflectors.

Thanks @hirsty - I've just been put to the van and can see 'h4' written on the bulb casing so I guess that answers that question! What did you upgrade to and would you recommend it?

I think you will find this is a printing error - its states the opposite to what is actually required. As discussed before, drive up to a wall with the headlights on, if the light kicks up on the left you need deflectors.

That's correct - see my pic. I think the only lights that don't need adjusting are those that have an adjustment mechanism controllable by the owner from the cab - ie the very latest type LED type or whatever - the vast majority using old fashioned bulbs will be LH or RH specific and will need 'converting' by stickers.

Thanks @hirsty - I've just been put to the van and can see 'h4' written on the bulb casing so I guess that answers that question! What did you upgrade to and would you recommend it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LYNVQBC/?tag=eliteelect-21

They're better, but not miraculous, though I don't drive all that much at night.

There was a long running thread recently about a) how poor standard T6 headlights are, b) how expensive LEDs were as an option & the difficulty of retrofitting them and c) how you need safecrackers fingers to get in there and change the damn bulbs.

Consensus (as I remember it) was it's particularly better for low-beam, but still only an incremental improvement - for me it was worth £20 & 20-minutes, and I now have two originals as spares in the boot.

hi,

I have the headlight protectors for my Cali and used the deflector stickers last year for going to France. I need a new set for this year but can't find them online anywhere! Anyone know where I can buy some from?

Thanks,

Jez
I think you are talking about the Black Shaped stickers that came with the Headlamp Protectors that stick on using the marks on the Protectors. I'm not sure if you can buy replacements, but Black Gaffa tape cut to shape works just as well.

Also original replacements

http://www.justkampers.com/zgb-7e2-071-102-headlight-cover-replacement-decals-t5-2010-2015.html

2016 workshop manual

Definite Flick up on my H7 Dipped Beam. 2014 SE

Back